What We’re Smoking (or Grilling, or Curing)!

Seems to be really binary -- you love it or you hate it.

I grew up eating raw clams on the halfshell in NYC, but I never had an oyster until I was in my 30s. Found out they were even better than clams (still raw on the halfshell). I don't think I've ever had a cooked one (apart from clam chowder), but DW has always loved smoked oysters.

What's odd about DH is that he enjoyed them raw for years. But a few years ago he suddenly decided to stop eating them raw. Maybe he felt it wasn't worth the risk.

Got an elk tenderloin ready for the pellet grill today. Had a great memorial day service in my home town this morning, my buddies and I compared notes afterwards on what we're grilling this evening. It all sounded good.

First time, sous vide picanha, sirloin cap, 6 hours at 137°f finished the cut pieces on the grill. I was fearful DW wouldn't appreciate the cut, she enjoyed it sans the grilled fat. OK there's more for me, it's awesome.

Three racks of ribs on the smoker at 10:30AM, using some hickory chunks and some apple wood. I'm going to try the 3-2-1 method this time. 3 hours in smoke, 2 hours wrapped in foil with some extra mop sauce, indirect heat, and 1 hour with sauce, indirect heat.

Will pleasantly wash down with my 2015 Old Vine Zinfandel.

Three racks of ribs on the smoker at 10:30AM, using some hickory chunks and some apple wood. I'm going to try the 3-2-1 method this time. 3 hours in smoke, 2 hours wrapped in foil with some extra mop sauce, indirect heat, and 1 hour with sauce, indirect heat.

Will pleasantly wash down with my 2015 Old Vine Zinfandel.

I have done the 3-2-1 method many times. You should not be disappointed.

Got a late start today, and wanting a break from smoke, so just doing a slow (indirect) cook on the gas grill at about 275F.

Good luck.

Got two cured pork bellies on the smoker this morning.

Yesterday I smoked a brined turkey breast.

Just added a shot of the smoked bellies along with my long bacon slicing knife I bought a few months ago.

Attachments

• 9B826CDA-B024-40A5-8FB9-7CC6F7C8F702.jpeg
    9B826CDA-B024-40A5-8FB9-7CC6F7C8F702.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 98BA7B18-4B2B-4797-864B-D19AF1917CAE.jpeg
    98BA7B18-4B2B-4797-864B-D19AF1917CAE.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Beef short ribs today. USDA Prime chuck.
I've been really happy with what I've ordered from Creekstone Farms.

Attachments

• Ribs 1.jpg
    Ribs 1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 38
  • Ribs 2.jpg
    Ribs 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • Ribs 3.jpg
    Ribs 3.jpg
    734.5 KB · Views: 37
just ran across Peruvian-style, prepackaged chicken breast at grocery store. never heard of it. google says one of the trendy, foo-foo fads in restaurants. pretty tasty, spicy, not hot tho'

I've had a Weber kettle for years. Mesquite smoked Turkey's are my specialty.
Just learned of the snake method and used it last week for a hickory smoke pork shoulder and pecan smoke spare ribs. Fool proof smoking.
Scored 15 lbs of split chicken breast at Aldi for 50 cents a pound. Marinating a few pounds today and will grill tomorrow.

Pecan smoking an 18 lb turkey today on the GMC Davey Crockett.
Cajun injected and rubbed with deep south " All That Sass"

Two pork shoulders on the Weber Summit, had some apple wood in the smoker box to start. It's the big one, 600 or something, so not hard to keep the temp low enough. Almost done.

Also have a brisket in the fridge, plan to do that in the next few days. Freezer will be back to well stocked! :)

Pork loin roast - marinated overnight, sous vide at 140F for 2 hours and grilled on my BBQ grill. I own a huge, very heavy $400 sous vide stainless box (Sous Vide Supreme) that I bought 10 years ago, but it was so bulky that I hated taking it out. Finally bought the stick-type sous vide and this was my first try. Very happy.

Last edited:
Love sous vide. I've got the Anova sous vide and then I finish steaks off with a weed burner (from harbor freight).

Using propane? I’ve been curious about this. Once I heard a chef/judge on FoodTV claim overusing the torch might add an off flavor, but she could have been just blowing smoke. There’s no bad flavor or aroma imparted?

I've had a Weber kettle for years. Mesquite smoked Turkey's are my specialty.
Just learned of the snake method and used it last week for a hickory smoke pork shoulder and pecan smoke spare ribs. Fool proof smoking.
Scored 15 lbs of split chicken breast at Aldi for 50 cents a pound. Marinating a few pounds today and will grill tomorrow.

Wow, that's an amazing price. I have shopped at Aldi's in Europe, but I guess that I will need to check out the more local ones, once the Canada-US border finally re-opens.

Using propane? I’ve been curious about this. Once I heard a chef/judge on FoodTV claim overusing the torch might add an off flavor, but she could have been just blowing smoke. There’s no bad flavor or aroma imparted?
No off flavor. I'm pretty sure in sous vide everything (YouTube channel), the weed burner won their "sear-off"

I did a 3.5# brisket in the electric smoker yesterday. It turned out great but it stalled around 157 degrees. I wrapped it in foil but it still took 10 hours to get it to 190 degrees.

Just seeing this thread for the first time. I probably grill or smoke a couple times a week minimum year round. Pretty basic Weber kettle set-up, but we have the rotisserie add-on for smoked chicken dinners.

Last week did 2 full racks of St. Louis ribs smoked with hickory, and grilled chicken breast twice to go with all the great garden salad I'm harvesting right now. Thinking about thawing a chicken for later in the week. Will probably use apple for that smoke.

Wow, that's an amazing price. I have shopped at Aldi's in Europe, but I guess that I will need to check out the more local ones, once the Canada-US border finally re-opens.
Sale price of 99 cents a lb and a 50% off due to use or freeze date of next day.

Orion Complement

So I'm no expert in anything, but I do cook Boston Butts in the Orion Cooker, which is basically a sealed garbage can, with external heat. My daughter and her SO said there was no restaurant that was as good as my pulled pork. They were saying everything they tried was SO salty. I throw a handful of hickory chips in perimeter, light it, and come back in a few hours. Super easy. Normally the Orion uses charcoal, but I modified mine so I use propane. No chance of changing the flavor since the cooking chamber is separate. If one were to search "sengsationa1" (note not an ell, but a one), and Orion, you'd probably find some specifics. Non-monitized. Just for those who think smoking meats is hard...eh, no, even I can do it, lol!

So I'm no expert in anything, but I do cook Boston Butts in the Orion Cooker, which is basically a sealed garbage can, with external heat. My daughter and her SO said there was no restaurant that was as good as my pulled pork. They were saying everything they tried was SO salty. I throw a handful of hickory chips in perimeter, light it, and come back in a few hours. Super easy. Normally the Orion uses charcoal, but I modified mine so I use propane. No chance of changing the flavor since the cooking chamber is separate. If one were to search "sengsationa1" (note not an ell, but a one), and Orion, you'd probably find some specifics. Non-monitized. Just for those who think smoking meats is hard...eh, no, even I can do it, lol!

Well, that was neat! 4 hours? In the smoker it is more like 8-10 hours (or more), at 225-240F. I guess the Orion cooks a little hotter, and being sealed gets the benefit of no moisture leaving? I might have to look into one of those.

Well, that was neat! 4 hours? In the smoker it is more like 8-10 hours (or more), at 225-240F. I guess the Orion cooks a little hotter, and being sealed gets the benefit of no moisture leaving? I might have to look into one of those.
Yes, the Orion is not quite a smoker, but gets similar results. Really very few wood chips makes plenty of smoke flavor, that's for sure. And I added the temp gauge to monitor the chamber temperature (didn't come with one). I try to target about 250F, but it depends on the wind and how often I fiddle with it.

They had those very large meaty Beef Back Ribs at Costco again. Couldn’t resist and took the biggest one.

Attachments

• 40D3923E-3C7D-4EF5-B88D-3C05CFD1E6BA.jpeg
    40D3923E-3C7D-4EF5-B88D-3C05CFD1E6BA.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 32
Back
Top Bottom