Where Have You Have Lived, Why you chose where you live to Retire or Still Mulling

Born in CA, lived in NM, WI, London, but mostly southern Indiana, in the Louisville, Kentucky metro area. Not an allergy friendly place and horrid weather, among its other unfavorable attributes.

I have traveled all over, but we have chosen to retire in Cozumel Mexico. I am SO looking forward to being an expat. :)

Born in CA, lived in NM, WI, London, but mostly southern Indiana, in the Louisville, Kentucky metro area. Not an allergy friendly place and horrid weather, among its other unfavorable attributes.

I am very familiar with that area. Love the scenery, but otherwise glad to be gone...

Chicago burbs as a kid
Milwaukee burbs for college
Phoenix burb for grad school
Boston burb
Scottsdale
Cleveland burb
Singapore
Denver burb
Connecticut hamlet

Now exploring where to FIRE out as my oldest fled for Baltimore and my youngest is heading toward Baltimore or Pittsburgh. Looking at the Mid Atlantic area to get away from the tax hell of CT and closer to the kids.

Home base has always been Missouri. But, traveled extensively (compared to the average US citizen) for both business and pleasure: Western Europe, UK & Ireland, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America and Oceania.

Likely to split time between Missouri and Mexico when not traveling farther afield.

Still have not found my perfect retirement location for me but will admit to enjoying the search.

Chicago burbs as a kid
Milwaukee burbs for college
Phoenix burb for grad school
Boston burb
Scottsdale
Cleveland burb
Singapore
Denver burb
Connecticut hamlet

Now exploring where to FIRE out as my oldest fled for Baltimore and my youngest is heading toward Baltimore or Pittsburgh. Looking at the Mid Atlantic area to get away from the tax hell of CT and closer to the kids.

You might want to consider southeastern PA. It's relatively inexpensive and very close to Charm City. Of course, the other tax friendly choice is Delaware.

I have traveled all over, but we have chosen to retire in Cozumel Mexico. I am SO looking forward to being an expat. :)

I think you have made a great choice... it was also on my short list :)

Our current location is St. Auggie, FL. We came here by accident when we returned from the Caribbean, liked it, stayed, purchased a home and went back to work for a while. We are now considering our second retirement, we are 58/53 respectively.

SWR

I saw the subject of your post and was curious to see what others said. So I was surprised to see you are living in St. Augustine, as that is where my DW and I have decided to retire to (currently live in Orlando). We just purchased our retirement home in St. Augustine a few months ago. It is now a second home, but will be our retirement home when I ER (hopefully in the next 6 months). Small world indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are currently living in Northwest Indiana where we have always lived. Commute 1.5hr each way to Chicago for work for the last 42 years. Looking forward to retiriing in March 2013 and moving to Eastern TN around Dandridge, Tn on Lake Cherokee. We initially thought about retiring and moving to North Carolina but the cost was too high and Lake Cherokee water front living is very affordable.

Anyone familiar w/living on Lake Cherokee or Eastern TN?

We are currently living in Northwest Indiana where we have always lived. Commute 1.5hr each way to Chicago for work for the last 42 years. Looking forward to retiriing in March 2013 and moving to Eastern TN around Dandridge, Tn on Lake Cherokee. We initially thought about retiring and moving to North Carolina but the cost was too high and Lake Cherokee water front living is very affordable.

I haven't been on lake Cherokee but, have a coworker who owns a lake front house and loves it. Says it's less developed than most local lakes and has much cleaner water.

I lived near Dandridge for several years (age 12 through college) and went to high school there. We lived on Douglas Lake where my Dad had a marina for many years. Cherokee and Douglas are both TVA lakes and quite similar in size. Dandridge is actually on the shore of Douglas Lake. I always expected to move back to the area when I retired but having been away so long, I really have no close friends or family in the area now. I think you will enjoy the area with both Knoxville and the mountains only a short drive away.

Interesting thread. FWIW
--Small town KY
--Lexington KY: Much better than avg college town...horses/Keeneland, music, food/fun.
--Cincinnati OH: Quintessential Midwestern city. Spent a large chunk of my adult life there. Good place to raise a family, major league sports town, plenty to do.
--Detroit MI (suburbs): The police say it's not safe to visit. Nothing much has changed since the early 80's.
--Augusta GA: Golf mecca, bigger metro area than you think, hot/humid summers offset by super nice spring/fall/winters.
--Aiken SC: big small town with history, significant arts scene, and a lot of northern retirees. Cost of living is reasonable.

Interesting the OP mentioned living in St. Augustine FL. We visit there 3-4 weeks per year and love it. Actually toying with a full time move.

I love the west and I have horses so that makes for a different perspective. I always thought we would retire to S. Colorado or N Arizona, Colorado Springs, Trinidad, north of Albuquerque...but our kids came back to MT and settled here and so here we stay. We love being so close to wilderness, skiing, hunting, fishing...but oh those long cold winters! So it's the gypsy life, travelling south during the worst of it and returning here in the spring. Sigh! If they ever left, we would probably follow. I had no idea my family would be so precious. I was never close to my family: I couldn't wait to get away when I was of age. But these kids are different, very devoted and loving. Makes me wonder what kind of kid I was?

I had no idea my family would be so precious. I was never close to my family: I couldn't wait to get away when I was of age. But these kids are different, very devoted and loving. Makes me wonder what kind of kid I was?
Qhatever kind of kid you were, you and your spouse were obviuously very good parents.

Ha

Mulling. Lived in Los Angeles area whole life. Have a cabin in the mountains that is be the first stop, until Im too old to take the winters. Hawaii (big island) is high on the list for later on.

Western PA, farm boy
Pittsburgh PA, HS, steel mill job
Auburn AL, BCE / MS
Quantico VA, USMC
Pensacola FL, Naval Aviator
RVN, Naval Aviator
NC, Naval Aviator
Japan, Naval Aviator
Med cruise I & II, Naval Aviator
Port Hueneme CA, civil engineer
Pensacola FL, Flt instr
Okinawa, USMC
Camp Pendleton CA, USMC
San Diego CA, civil engineer
Cambodia & Thailand, civil engineer
Sunnyvale CA, civil engineer
Washington DC, civil engineer
Northern VA, consultant
:confused:, retiree (may return to Pensacola, but TN looks attractive, too)

DW and I have chosen Madeira Beach Fl (gulf side). Since you are already in Floida you are probably aware it has many favorable financial attractions to the retired. We will be heading out by travel van when it gets too humid. Check out the following link:

http://www.bestplaces.net/city/

It has a "comfort index" you can search by city to find low heat/humidity places. For us, it looks like Asheville NC will be a good summertime place to hang out for a couple months. Or, go hiking in Gatlinburg Tn.

Your post reads like you have a lot of choices so the Sperlings (link above) site might serve you well.

Last edited:
Born in a small town in Missouri.
Mississippi
Maine
Iceland
California
Back to Missouri, Kansas City
Louisiana
Arkansas
Oklahoma
Back to Louisiana
Texas