How Do You Get Live TV?

YouTubeTV. We have had in past had DirectTV streaming, Sling and Sony (no longer exists). I prefer YouTubeTV out of the ones we have tried. The only channels I care about are on there. It has only one price offering so whatever it is that is what you pay. I like that it keeps the stuff you save or up to a year and it is unlimited. Many others give very limited saves or limit the length of time. Some will give you more if you pay. YouTubeTV just has a simple structure that works for us.

A new sports streaming service is coming this Fall which is good news for cord cutters.

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/39472710/espn-fox-warner-bros-launch-sports-streaming-platform
I'm not subscribing just because there might be one NFL game I would like to watch. The vast majority of sports streaming doesn't interest me.

Edit: Saw this on some news show this morning. Some guy said he thought they would shoot for $50-$60 per month. I was thinking it would be a lot less and still thought it wasn't worth it. :LOL:

Last edited:
I will be watching the Super Bowl game this Sunday. I will capture the broadcast signal using a cheap $50 flat indoor antenna, and have my DVR set to record the game. About 30 minute after the game starts I will start playing the recording. I’ll FF through most of the commercials unless one actually looks amusing. Needless to say I will be cut off from all other forms of communication so it will be LIVE for all practical purposes.

I often do the same with movies on OTA FAST broadcasts. It works very well.

FAST - Free Add Supported Television.

I will be watching the Super Bowl game this Sunday. I will capture the broadcast signal using a cheap $50 flat indoor antenna, and have my DVR set to record the game. About 30 minute after the game starts I will start playing the recording. I’ll FF through most of the commercials unless one actually looks amusing. Needless to say I will be cut off from all other forms of communication so it will be LIVE for all practical purposes..

Yes, this is exactly what I do, maybe a little longer than 30 minutes. My system automatically detects the commercials very well during football games, instantly jumping past them, and I even skip over the halftime crap. And of course, I pause the playback if I need to step away, get a snack, etc.

Last edited:
Our live TV is supplied by an antenna in the attic. I run Jellyfin as a media server, and it can record over the air TV from an HDHomeRun networked tuner connected to the attic antenna. I get the TV schedule from a Schedules Direct subscription. I access the Jellyfin server content on each TV using the Roku Jellyfin app.

I have a private VPN setup on my home router, and the Jellyfin server can be accessed remotely using my phone or laptop. That way I can access our media when away from home.

We ran RG-6 coax and Cat 5 wire to all rooms when the house was built 25 years ago. All of the cables meet at a home run location in the basement. There is a UHF distribution amplifier and networking equipment located there.

The Cat 5 wire works well at gigabit speeds since I re-terminated from the minimum 2-pair 100base-t to 1000base-t standard.

OTA old school Magnavox DVR/DVD recorder/player.

Had Hulu Live until we moved to our neighborhood with no "cable" and had to switch to T-Mobile Home Internet. Hulu Live doesn't recognize the IP as Home, so had to switch to YouTube TV.

Tablo OTA DVR with 2 long range antennae in the attic.

Plus, just subscribed to Sling TV Orange and Blue for March Madness. Added Sports Extra.

Back
Top Bottom