Who's Sorry Now?

imnxpat

Recycles dryer sheets
It's been over two years since i retired early, and I'm really enjoying it. But that's just me. Are there any forum members out there who regrets retiring, whether early or otherwise?

"I'd rather sell a kidney than go back to work."
-intercst (and I agree)

not so much a regret but i would have liked to have kept working if my job hadn't turned so crappy. while circumstances might be regretful, i don't regret my decision as i'd make the same decision under similar circumstances.

5 days so far and a lot of emotion but very happy to be free. My Ah Ha moment was about a year ago when I was replacing a toilet flange seal in one of our rentals and realized that I would rather do that than face my job again. My job at one time was excellent and fun but the last few years got really rough and if I focus on how it was instead of how it use to be I know I would not want to ever go back there.

I agree with Kahn, I would sell a kidney first!

"I'd rather sell a kidney than go back to work."
-intercst (and I agree)
After 20 years of playing tournament golf with a lot of traveling involved, this was definantly my last year.

I'VE threatened to quit before, but the idea that there may be a full body transplant available shortly, kept me going. Not possible at this point, so my wife will be getting a full dose of me in the future.

I'M O.k. with the idea, but my wife may be needing a kidney, and possibly a liver in the future. I'LL keep in touch.

Oh, by the way, please stay off the 'sauce'

I'M O.k. with the idea, but my wife may be needing a kidney, and possibly a liver in the future. I'LL keep in touch.

Oh, by the way, please stay off the 'sauce'

Jarhead,
I am guessing your wife is having some significant health issues. I am sorry to hear that if it is true. Hang in there and I hope things get better.

Several times I have seen opportunities and though "Hey that might be fun", but then I think, I would have to do this everyday! I hate commitments on my time.

I can't ever see regretting this decision! On the other hand, my DIL's father retired and was misinformed as to when his retirement checks kicked in. He is back working, however, a different job. One he really likes better.

Why? Do you want us to leave more for you? ...OK, I get it - for your poor DW! :)

That was quick!

Kinda feels like i'm being stalked.:)

We've been under seige in the last week, and I was feeling pretty good about having electricity again, so decided to waste somebodys time by posting.

We're all electric, and have been camping for 6 days. (lights went out last Thursday, and just got back in the ball-game last night.)

80 mile an hour winds, after being rain=soaked. Not a good combination.

Lost 4 trees, (one of them went through my large view window, taking part of the wall with it. (Fun time).

Put up some plywood for a stop-gap, and if it ever stops raining, will re-access damage. (Fun with Dick and Jane);)

Being a homeowner is a much fun as you can have with your clothes on.:D

Kinda feels like i'm being stalked.:)

Don't flatter yourself. ;)

A couple of us were wondering how you'd weathered the storm since we heard it was kinda rough in your neck of the woods. Thanks for checking in and really sorry to hear you sustained a bunch of damage. But I'm glad to see it didn't do anything to your sense of humor...

Jarhead,
I am guessing your wife is having some significant health issues. I am sorry to hear that if it is true. Hang in there and I hope things get better.

Steve, my wife at this point is healthy.

I have a bit of a sick sense of humor, and when I made the remark about my wife may be needing a kidney, and liver transplant in the future, I was referring to her having a full dose of me in the future.;) (She's never been a drinker at this point.)

Thanks anyway.

Jarhead, get an RV. Good backup plan for weather calamities. Ours is always packed with several days of good living during hurricane season. We can stay clean, lighted, fed, hydrated and, with the right wine, pretty content for at least a week or so.

We moved to Fla in 2004, the year of 5 hurricanes. No damage in our area, and no hurricanes since then. But when they come back, if I am not still tied to the day job, we'll pack it up and take a nice leisurely camping trip someplace high and dry.

Sorry to hear of your weather-related hassles and losses. No place is safe from those things. Let us know how your insurance claims go :rolleyes:.

Hey Jarhead! Glad to hear you made it through our mini-hurricane. Nothing to impress someone who saw Katrina, but it was a pretty good blower.

I had water hitting my windows and collecting in the window slides faster than it could run out of the weep holes. Spent a couple of hours shop-vac'ing water out of a bunch of them until it stopped.

Had two older pieces of fencing almost go over...about two toothpicks worth of wood held them upright. Almost everyone had major fence and tree damage, anything that looked like a freestanding carport is now spare wood. Even home depot and lowes both had a couple of roof leaks and their demo metal carports were flattened.

Don't flatter yourself. ;)

A couple of us were wondering how you'd weathered the storm since we heard it was kinda rough in your neck of the woods. Thanks for checking in and really sorry to hear you sustained a bunch of damage. But I'm glad to see it didn't do anything to your sense of humor...
ReWahoo: Re: sense of humor. Remember Alfred E Neuman. (Keep grinning, the boss loves idiots).:D

Martha and Rich: Good suggestions.

Fuzzy: No Katrina for sure, but it did get my attention. By far the worst I've seen in the almost 21 years here.

Enough already.:p

ReWahoo: Re: sense of humor. Remember Alfred E Neuman. (Keep grinning, the boss loves idiots).:D

Martha and Rich: Good suggestions.

Fuzzy: No Katrina for sure, but it did get my attention. By far the worst I've seen in the almost 21 years here.

Enough already.:p

Good to see you posting again. Still plan to hustle your friends on the course?;)

It's been over two years since i retired early, and I'm really enjoying it. But that's just me. Are there any forum members out there who regrets retiring, whether early or otherwise?

There were two main reasons I retired - frustration with the bureaucracy that made it so hard to get things done at work, and frustration with having to plan our lives around traffic, both negatives, I know. Two months after my retirement date we moved to a much less congested area that we enjoy being in. We (DW & I) have of course discussed whether retiring was the right thing to do. She's adjusting better than I have. Family says both of us are much more relaxed than when we were working.

I feel like I'm being a traitor to the forum - I'm going back to work. There's only so many radio control airplanes I can build & fly, so many movies to see, so many fish to catch, etc. Frankly, I'm bored. I want something to DO! And there are some toys that I'd like, either an RV or a full-size airplane, both just out of reach right now.

So, keeping my DPMO* hat firmly in place, I started a job yesterday. It seems like it'll be a good fit, they have a laid-back atmosphere so far. I figure one to three years will pay for the toy(s) then cut back to part time to support them.

*DPMO - Don't P*** Me Off

Walt, we always congratulate the retirees, but I would like to congratulate you on finding a new job that looks like a good fit with a good atmosphere. Enjoy the work and enjoy the toys. How easy was it to find work after being out of the mix for 5 years?

Jarhead, get an RV. Good backup plan for weather calamities. Ours is always packed with several days of good living during hurricane season. We can stay clean, lighted, fed, hydrated and, with the right wine, pretty content for at least a week or so.

We moved to Fla in 2004, the year of 5 hurricanes. No damage in our area, and no hurricanes since then. But when they come back, if I am not still tied to the day job, we'll pack it up and take a nice leisurely camping trip someplace high and dry.

Sorry to hear of your weather-related hassles and losses. No place is safe from those things. Let us know how your insurance claims go :rolleyes:.

What a fantastic IDEA!

Me Likey, now How do I approach the wife with the RV thingy?

She likes camping at Marriotts.

It was very difficult to find a job, I started seriously looking two years ago but I was being picky. Working because one wants to, vs. having to, are two entirely different worlds.

I'm a retired police officer with backgrounds in fraud investigation, computer forensics (data recovery combined with search & seizure law, an esoteric combination) and online fraud investigation - i.e., "backtracking through the Internet". I didn't want to go back to computer forensics because all of those positions are either in major cities or require too much travel. Some people like big cities and/or lots of job-related travel but I'm not one of them. There is not enough money in the world to make me endure sitting in traffic two or more hours per day to get to and from work.

Next was applying at banks and financial institutions - all of them are targets for fraud. No luck there.

So I'll be doing armed security work at federal government buildings. The Federal Protective Service contracts out a lot of that to subcontractors, but they have to meet all the current law enforcement standards. The next four days are firearms training/qualification, next is first aid, CPR, heart defibrillator, etc., then use of less-than-deadly force issues like pepper spray, taser, etc. and legal issues. I was surprised - I haven't fired a gun since my last qualification and I had no trouble, it was like I'd never put it down. I thought I'd be at least a little rusty.

It pays $2 less per hour than I was making before I retired, which is terrific for this area, and I have the option of cutting back to part time when I wish. Everyone in the class is either current or retired law enforcement. There are three possible job sites, the farthest is an easy 20-minute drive, the closest I could walk to in fifteen minutes, bike in five. So, absent running into someone with an attitude problem it looks like a good fit for me. In that case I have to decide - how badly do I want that RV?

Walt ,
Congratulations on your new job .Some of us are not meant for full time retirement . I got itchy after I retired and started selling on ebay .I also filled in occasionally at a surgery center .I stopped doing the surgery center .It was too much like work but I continue to sell on ebay and amazon when I'm bored .I can do it for a few months and then stop and start again later .It's just fun money .

Walt34,

Being FI gives you the ability to do what you want to instead of what you have to... including getting a job! No worries.

Back
Top Bottom