Why I am retiring at the start of 2012

Im 135 days out, and find that I am treated like a ghost now that people cant benefit from me anymore in the rat race. But it really just makes me know that Im making the right decision. Good luck!!!!

I haven't decided how much notice to give. I can retire in January of 2013, so not so far out. For some of the reasons cited in other posts, I don't think I want to give too much notice, even though I'm not a manager. 15 months, 8 days.

I found the 6 months between making a decision and announcing it some of the most difficult of my career.

It became much easier once my decision was in the open, my replacement was named, and I could concentrate on handing over the reins.

I can empathize. I am making the announcement in January. Every since I made the decision last August, I swear that the earth's rotation has slowed (which might account for this horrible weather). How can it only be October!!!

I so want to go now!!!

I don't think my senior managers could draw a stick figure, let alone their feet...and why would they want to? :confused: I tried to read it other ways, e.g. "draw their fees" "drag their feet" but it still doesn't make sense :LOL:

Amethyst

I read it as "drag" their feet, as in delaying finding a replacement for a departing employee.

Actually, the drawing of feet is one of the key indicators that it is past time to retire.
Sigh, I still remember the day I got totally disgusted--I threw down my laptop, grabbed a pad of paper and drew my feet..Felt goood..
img_1120188_0_046d7134db1fc26ff470edd202daef23.jpg

254 days until I retire. I am so looking forward to it. But, they are making it tough. More to do, less resources, and constant pressure. Management will help me do the work - they will let me work all the upaid overtime I need. In the midst of all of this work, they keep doing things that make it harder to get things done. Delayed decisions, adding urgent items that are not important, and spreading resources so thin that little is ever done as well as it should be.

OK, I am still venting!! Sorry.

Small business

I owned a small consulting company for 25 years. Small meaning "me" retiring is just as hard and walking away is very difficult. But I must say being in business for yourself is not what it use to be. Some days I wish I could just walk out the door. Working for a company seems like a good deal these days. The military voices on this site seem to have it made in the shade. That is what I have been suggesting to my relatives.

Im 135 days out, and find that I am treated like a ghost now that people cant benefit from me anymore in the rat race. But it really just makes me know that Im making the right decision. Good luck!!!!

Sometimes being a "ghost" is the best position you can have. You find out your true value to the company (exchangeable cog), and who your true friends are at work (none).

For all you ghosts out there - a demotivational poster:

Attachments

• retirement poster.jpg
    retirement poster.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 15
"Only 7 months, only 7 months,...."

Repeat the mantra each night for 30 days, then change it to "Only 6 months, only 6 months,...."

The time will soon pass. Meanwhile, feel free to vent here as often as needed.

I counted the days. I had them in big numbers on my wall and changed them everyday starting at 320.

I practiced using the phrase when someone asked me a question: I would look thoughtfully, scrunch up my brow as if I was thinking, and then look them right in the eyes and say: "Perhaps.... Perhaps.... You may have confused me with someone who actually gives a **** about this." And then I would smile, and tilt my head sideways slightly.

My company gave me a watch in the end... for 33 years of hard work. And then..... eliminated my position.

Sometimes being a "ghost" is the best position you can have. You find out your true value to the company (exchangeable cog), and who your true friends are at work (none).

Yeah.... and when in the end, your position is completely eliminated, how does that feel?

Back
Top Bottom