Working For My Daughter?

Danny

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I realized while I was beating a couple dead horses to death(and carelessly and innocently I might add throwing wikipedia quotes into my posts >:D) on another thread that maybe I could be using my time and talents more wisely....
My daughter has started a new job as Volunteer Coordinator at a charity that prepares and delivers meals to people with AIDS, Lou Gehrig's, MS, undergoing Chemo, etc. Well, she has offered me an opportunity to be a cook's helper(I actually was one in college) or drive around delivering meals...the pay is nothing to speak of, actually let me check - why it is nothing, guess that's why they call it volunteering....I would have the additional opportunity of having my little girl be my boss :rolleyes: god help me...but it would mean not having the time anymore to post threads about - Most Unusual Police Reports, and dig through wikipedia for arcane quotes and debate really important stuff like if Gore had been elected where would we be today, etc. (like what are the chances anyone is going to say, god I never thought of that, you know you're right, thank you for pointing it out - I think you've not only changed my view on that but also the way I want to live my life)....so I knew I would eventually be doing some kind of volunteering and that just writing checks wasn't going to get me into heaven and after all I have do my part to keep Minnesota #1 (it's got to be #1 in something, but with global warming we are going up a few notches in weather) in the volunteer category....I'm just determining now what kind of boss my daughter will be...whether it would be good for our relationship and whether it would be a good career move

Last edited:
ROFL.

Okay, now that I'm past that...do it. It should be fun for both of you. Good for a lot of "remember when...?" stories years from now.

I'm glad I made you ROFL, I feel like I did make a difference today. That's a good point, she'll love regaling the family with her stories and I'll be busy putting my spin on them so I won't lose the rest of the family's remaining respect.

Although we really like each other, "respect" and "family" are seldom used in the same sentence. We know each other too well.

Your not giving up golf are you?:eek: Just kidding. I could see myself doing something like that one day. Doubt if I would do it everyday, but 2-3 times a week.

Your not giving up golf are you?:eek: Just kidding. I could see myself doing something like that one day. Doubt if I would do it everyday, but 2-3 times a week.
No. No way is this going to interfere with my golf or anything else I hold precious. I think when I go into negotiate my job duties and [-]pay[/-] [-]package[/-] lunch benefit, I'm going to hold out for very very part time. She indicated that they are very flexible and have a whole range of choices from a few hours a week to as much as you can stand and also it's a cool place filled with very cool people putting out a very cool vibe...But these people always say things like that to sucker you in. So I'm going to make sure I get what I want and not what they want....right now I'm trying to remember how I used to say no to her...she is a tough cookie - been working with ex-felons, soon to be felons, substance abusers and homeless the last year, so I'm sure she sees me as a pussycat - just yesterday I gave her my 2003 Mazda 6.... :confused:

Last edited:
I wouldn't work with mine

I wouldn't work with or for my kids in less time it takes to warm a chair we would be in an argument and they would be wrong :rant:

They are the most aggravating bunch, they can't even stand each other except for short periods of time before the wives have to separate them so something stupid won't happen.

Not everyone has a disfunctional family, you could try out the job on temporary basis and see how it goes.

I'm just determining now what kind of boss my daughter will be...whether it would be good for our relationship and whether it would be a good career move

hehe, a good career move for someone retired, I love it.

I'd say do it, but decide right now the minimum time you'd do it that would make it not a bad thing (as in not two weeks!). Prepare mentally for doing what she says, with good cheer, and no back-talk, and don't embarass her. If you can do that, it can't be a bad thing.

And yes, I'd jump at the chance. You get to experience something you may never have a chance to again experience, with someone very close to you. Working for your daughter...you won't be able to buy that one on ebay or live second hand on forums :)

-Mach

I worked for my daughter last year .We did a craft show together .She makes "Thinkable Tees " they are t shirts with positive statements on them about women such as intelligent ,astute instead of hotie ,cutie ,etc..We had a great time ,one more great memory .

....I'm just determining now what kind of boss my daughter will be...whether it would be good for our relationship and whether it would be a good career move
I'm a volunteer teacher at a non-profit that provides computer training for immigrants. A young woman who was the paid staffer who organized the classes (since returned to grad school) brought her dad in as a volunteer. The impression I got is that they both enjoyed it. Just remember to cut her some slack if she has a different management style than you ;-)

Thanks Kitty, Mach, Moemg, Don for the feedback.
It looks like I'm going to do it. I'll go in for an orientation meeting for first timers run by daughter. I think I'll start with just a couple hours a week just to get the feet wet, with the possibility of going up to my knees at some point. I'll certainly cut her slack and I expect a little in return, but I will be deferential to her. Even though I'm generally a hang loose ER kinda guy, one of my role models includes Bill Murray, the last thing I want to do is embarass myself or those I love. Right now I'm thinking about what it will be like meeting the clients....

Good luck to you.

I spent three years (while I was going to school full-time for my BA) running the family business side by side with my father. There were times when I wanted to strangle him and times when I'm sure that he was wondering if he could possibly still ground me. But, generally speaking, we got along great and had a lot of fun working together. We became much closer to one another while working together.

However, it all depends on the personal dynamics. My mom and I also worked together, although briefly, and we didn't do well at all. Lots of yelling (not at work, of course, we're professionals) and lots of resentment.

One thing I learned was that establishing boundries was very important, because family makes presumptions that a normal employer wouldn't. I would have a clear agreement in place about how many hours you plan to "work" and what responsibilities you are agreeing to take on.

Last edited:
I think when I go into negotiate my job duties and [-]pay[/-] [-]package[/-] lunch benefit, I'm going to hold out for very very part time. She indicated that they are very flexible and have a whole range of choices from a few hours a week to as much as you can stand

You can probably plan on holidays off to um... spend with your family, especially Thanksgiving and Christmas. From what I've heard there are more than enough volunteers for those days because people who have no where else to go, look for some way to feel useful and all warm and fuzzy. I know a very good chef who was turned away one Thanksgiving. I don't think the IRS will get any of your earnings and no doubt you can nosh on the job. Free food! Go for it.

Awesome! Have a wonderful time! (I'd love to have my parents work [-]with[/-] for me :) )

Back
Top Bottom