Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #2121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Probably most folks would have thrown it out: a 11 year old grill and the "fire box" (main thing of the grill) was rusted-through all over...completely disintegrated. I had the burners and burner 'tents' balancing on makeshift supports for a long time, and recently the burners finally started rusting and the flames were going nuts. The outside of the grill was nice (stainless), but DW started making noises about a new grill. So I went on the Char-Broil site and scouted the parts: firebox $50, burners $10 x 4, $20 shipping. I had made my own thick stainless burner 'tents'...those will last forever, so didn't need to buy their cheap steel with black paint versions of the tents that last about 6 months.

No pictures this time, but it was a messy job, as one might imagine. The entire grill had to come apart, as everything is attached to the firebox. I had to buy a few other parts that had disintegrated, so the total went to $112, but then there was free shipping! It took a couple of hours, but I was not in a hurry.

Not as pretty as a new grill, but saved me $500 or more.
Nice work!
I "restored" a 20 some yr old charcoal grill that was a Kingsford brand. Same as the charcoal people but made by a regional vendor, I think. I would've gladly thrown it out and replaced it but they stopped making them. It was designed to use direct or indirect heating like a Weber, only better in many aspects. Anyway I only had to replace the rusted out brackets that attached the bowl to the frame, repair the rusted leg tips with epoxy, and replace the wheels. I painted the steel frame and de-rusted the grate with vinegar. Looks pretty sharp.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2018, 03:06 PM   #2122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I turned my old Charbroil grill into a patio heater/warmer, with a mining flair. I built a replica ore car w/ track, with a false bottom to get to the propane bottle, accessible by the "dump door". The top is full of volcanic rock, atop the old BBQ controls. If I knew how to post a pic without getting my hair any whiter, I'd post it here.

My recent repair was replacing the transmission lines for the 2007 Trailblazer, they had rusted through. Had to drop the d@#% exhaust to get to it.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:08 PM   #2123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
and de-rusted the grate with vinegar. Looks pretty sharp.
I need to learn more about that... didn't know that was a thing.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:19 PM   #2124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I need to learn more about that... didn't know that was a thing.

https://m.wikihow.com/Remove-Rust-from-Metal
Old 03-29-2018, 10:21 PM   #2125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
I turned my old Charbroil grill into a patio heater/warmer, with a mining flair. I built a replica ore car w/ track, with a false bottom to get to the propane bottle, accessible by the "dump door". The top is full of volcanic rock, atop the old BBQ controls. If I knew how to post a pic without getting my hair any whiter, I'd post it here.

My recent repair was replacing the transmission lines for the 2007 Trailblazer, they had rusted through. Had to drop the d@#% exhaust to get to it.

The repurposed grill is a great idea. I'm gonna steal it without the enhancements.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:04 AM   #2126
Recycles dryer sheets

You can also remove rust from metal using aluminum foil. Fold a piece, shiny side up and dip in water then rub on the rusted spot aggressively, the rust just disappears. I did this on two motorcycle rims and it did a really nice job, the rims were pitted so that remains. It works fantastic on light surface rust, the kind you see on chromed motorcycle pipes, etc.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:38 AM   #2127
Recycles dryer sheets

My KitchenAid French Door bottom drawer ice maker. User instructions didnít help, YouTube got the brain working. Didnít see a video that related. But it
ended up being a water supply issue from when the filter cartridge was removed and a bypass improperly installed. Iím more mechanical than DH. Heíd settle for an ice chest.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:55 PM   #2128

Replaced a problematic KOHLER toilet that cost me over $500 (we were out of town) last month in leaking water after having replaced its guts twice. Bought a Toto and hoping for better results.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:32 AM   #2129

My GE SxS refrigerator would only dispense crushed ice (no cubes). Quick google search pointed to a solenoid that pushes down on a metal rod that opens a slot for cubes to come thru. Wanted to get a close look at the solenoid to make sure I ordered the right part so removed the dispenser motor assembly attached to the rear of the freezer. Removed the solenoid from the motor assemble. There's a metal rod that slides freely inside the solenoid, the metal rod is attached to a plastic plunger. It became apparent quickly what the problem was. The pin that holds the metal rod to the plastic plunger had completely backed out. Hammered the pin back in place and reassembled everything. Quick fix and now have ice cubes again.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:50 AM   #2130
Full time employment: Posting here.

Local sewer utility notified us that we had a couple of loose connections on the lateral line from the house to the main sewer line that allowed groundwater to flow into the line. Had to hire one of the authorized sewer line contractors to repair. $3900 to dig a hole and replace 2 bad connections! Oh well, should have in Blow that Dough 2018 post!
Old 04-06-2018, 09:54 AM   #2131
gone traveling

Replaced a 6.5 year-old RadonAway RP145 Radon Mitigation Fan.
It turns out that the expected life of these fans is 5 years. Just like sump pumps.
So, I can look forward to 4 more replacements.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:55 AM   #2132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
Local sewer utility notified us that we had a couple of loose connections on the lateral line from the house to the main sewer line that allowed groundwater to flow into the line. Had to hire one of the authorized sewer line contractors to repair. $3900 to dig a hole and replace 2 bad connections! Oh well, should have in Blow that Dough 2018 post!
I hear you

my plumber used to be an attorney
Old 04-06-2018, 10:20 AM   #2133

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
It turns out that the expected life of these fans is 5 years. Just like sump pumps.
So why is it that I have a 60 year old large oscilating desk fan that works fine and new fans can't seem to make it 5 years??
Old 04-06-2018, 01:17 PM   #2134

Not really so much of a 'repair' as a preemptive strike. Last year we had a very pregnant mama skunk excavate ALL the construction gravel and chat out from under our front porch. We had to have it mud jacked. But, she moved four doors up and give birth to six babes up there. That neighbor is still not speaking to us.

She's back! Now she's trying to tunnel under the sidewalk. We found these Dig Defence things, and have installed them right up against the sidewalk, then covered up with the existing mulch. Below is one pushed all the way down, and not yet mulched.

We got them here: https://www.wayfair.com/brand/bnd/di...lc-b42298.html So far, so good. Just thought I'd share in case anyone is also getting skunked.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:19 PM   #2135

Quote:
So, I can look forward to 4 more replacements
So how does one know when a sump pump expires? Or do you discover it when you need it the most?
Old 04-06-2018, 01:58 PM   #2136
Full time employment: Posting here.

SumDay this is the reason for a backup battery sump. When it goes off it pumps out the sump and sounds an alarm to let you know there is a problem.

The Radon Mitigation Fan has a water tube on the outside of the vent that goes outside and if the fan isn't running, the level of the water tube on both sides will be even because there is no negative pressure being created by the fan sucking the air in the sump to the outdoors.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:29 PM   #2137

This was a repair of a mistake I made... I'm installing a new toilet as part of our master bath remodel. First, I wanted to shorten the copper pipe coming out of the wall, which for some reason was sticking out about 8-9". Shut-off the water, removed the shut-off valve, and cut the pipe about 3" from the wall using one of those small tube cutters that you twist around the pipe as you slowly tighten the knob. All good so far.

Cleaned up the copper pipe and tried to slide on the nut for the compression fitting on the shut-off valve. It would not slide on. I tried cleaning up the pipe some more with emery cloth. Still would not go on no matter how hard I tried. I know it fits on this pipe because I just removed it.

Got my dial calipers and measured the opening in the back of the nut... 0.630" (just big enough to slide easily over a 5/8" (0.625") OD pipe. Then I measured the pipe... 0.605". WTH?! ...that's smaller than the opening in the nut. Then I realized the problem. Turned the dial calipers 90 degrees on the pipe and remeasured... 0.650". Yep, my round pipe was now an oval. Evidently I squeezed too hard with the cutter, plus I always tightened the knob in the same spot after a few twists around the pipe. I won't make that mistake again.

Now to the fix... I found a 1/2" wooden dowel and stuck it inside the copper. It fit fairly snug. I then used a crescent wrench to slowly go around the pipe and reform it into a round tube. I was a little worried that the brass ferrule on the shut-off valve might not seat correctly after this, so I was very careful and tightened the wrench in extremely small increments. After a minute or so, the dial calipers read 0.625" all around and the nut and ferrule slipped right on. Cleaned up the copper again, tightened up the cutoff valve, turned the water back on, and no leaks. Whew! Five-minute job turned into an hour... and just because I didn't like the copper pipe sticking out so far. But, I learned a lesson that I will never forget about using those cutters.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:37 PM   #2138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

I'm curious why you need this and how does it work? Does it run all the time or is there some type of sensor to activate it? We just have a passive vent with no fan. I had the builder do it but it's not typically done around here.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:47 PM   #2139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
So how does one know when a sump pump expires? Or do you discover it when you need it the most?

I listen out for ours whenever it's raining and during the summer the AC drains into the sump pit so I check that also. If it's been a while since I've heard it run, I put a bucket of water into the pit to verify that it's working. A neighbor told us sump pumps only last 5 yrs around here but they must have a high water table cause ours is still working after 20 yrs. I really gotta get a spare to keep ready for quick replacement but I do have a submersible utility pump I could use temporarily.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:47 PM   #2140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I'm curious why you need this and how does it work? Does it run all the time or is there some type of sensor to activate it? We just have a passive vent with no fan. I had the builder do it but it's not typically done around here.
It runs continuously to create a negative pressure under the basement floor. That prevents the radon from seeping up into the living area.
Closed Thread