Did any of you regret early retirement or is anyone worried about leaving too early?

JoseSantiago

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hi Forum,

I was wondering if anyone here left, and regrets it? OR those who are on the edge are worried about regretting it? IF so, what did you regret? What went wrong? What was the "I wish I knew...." Be it money, spouse not wanting to travel, boredom, etc

Thanks as always to anyone who replies!

Been retired 3.5 years and loving it except for the restrictions due to Covid.
We are never bored, even if we do nothing for a whole day.
Money and health is good overall.
Don't miss work one bit.

No regrets leaving at 57 year old. I can say, it was hard for when thinking about leaving money behind but my time was starting to be worth more to me.

If I knew then, what I know about retirement now, I would of went a few years earlier.

Stopped working 32+ years ago - there's no such thing as too early,

5 Years, no regrets. Just heard the old MC subdivision is being sold to a "multi-national" investment group.

REALLY glad I am out.

No regrets. But then I wasn't really that early either.

No regrets here either. Like many we left a lot of money on the table by bailing from the D.C. area and moving to WV and we wondered if we'd regret it later.

About six months after moving all became clear. We went to visit my younger sister then living in northern VA and the first thing she said upon seeing us was "You two look more relaxed than I've seen you in years". At that, we knew we'd done the right thing.

Not a single regret, except maybe for not leaving earlier. What are you worried about?

We are 3.5 years in, and haven't had any regrets for quitting cold turkey. One has limited years for aggressive traveling. We chose to retire earlyish and continue traveling during the pandemic because each month lost is irreplaceable.

E.T.A.--we were forced to travel a little less last year. We ended up being home for about 7 months, and our travel slanted domestic.... Even with that though, no regrets.

I hung it up 12 years ago at age 58. That was about the time parents & an aunt had to vacate their homes for retirement communities. And we moved twice since then.

I turned into an amateur mover--and ended up with so much furniture that it's overwhelming. I still have a triple car garage full of items to sell.

But in those 12 years, we've been out of the country a couple of dozen times. And we have no regrets to seeing so much of the free world. Staying home 2-3 years is tough when you're used to traveling.

I didn't make the decision to leave - it was made for me. The company I had been working for, for 16 years, went out of business during the great recession. I was 45 years old, and decided that, because I had enjoyed my job so much, that I'd rather have lots of free time, and a lower resulting income, than to have to reinvent myself in the workforce, and most likely end up doing something I wouldn't enjoy as much. I haven't regretted not seeking work again.

No regrets after leaving at age 55, 11 years ago.

I quit work at the age of 36, almost 11 years ago. It wasn't all smooth sailing but I have no regrets (I think that regrets are a waste of time anyways).

Money-wise, I'm better off than when I left. And when I see how my working friends live, there isn't a single aspect of their lives that I envy.

Been retired now for 7 years, left the workforce at 52 now 59, DW was 59.5 now 66.... We are Florida residents in Ft Myers 8 months, we also had a condo at Lake of the Ozarks until this past November for our summer months. Sold the condo at the Lake and now own a condo in Wichita KS, where our kids and grandkids live..... I did question myself the first two weeks after retiring, but then began to really enjoy the decisions we made ..... We do travel quite a bit within the US and at least one trip to Mexico each year...... No regrets, lost 120 lbs to be able to travel and enjoy being able to move around without the struggle of all the extra weight ..... We are from the midwest, so we have taken trips to Lake Tahoe, Redwood Forest, went to the balloon fest in Albuquerque, a stop at the Royal Gorge in CO, Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone, Pikes Peak, Nashville, to name a few ...... Again, no regrets .... The important thing is to live within your means and Live Life while you can

Last edited:
No regrets leaving at 57 year old. I can say, it was hard for when thinking about leaving money behind but my time was starting to be worth more to me.

If I knew then, what I know about retirement now, I would of went a few years earlier.

+1. Haven't regretted for one minute.

Let me think.................................Nope, no regrets. I quit at 58 and my husband left one year later at 56. It's now been 5 years. Best decision we ever made other than not trying to impress people we didn't know with money we didn't have........and made smart invests. :)

Last edited:
I quit work at the age of 36, almost 11 years ago. It wasn't all smooth sailing but I have no regrets (I think that regrets are a waste of time anyways).

Money-wise, I'm better off than when I left. And when I see how my working friends live, there isn't a single aspect of their lives that I envy.

This - (ok 10 years older, but still). You will be hard pressed to find anyone here with regrets. There are only two reasons that I can think one might:

1 - they really weren't ready financially and misjudged their spending/budget, and had to go back to work.
2- they weren't ready emotionally, and tied their identify and social life completely to their work.

Most here avoid #1 by planning and learning as part of this community. And they avoid #2 by OMY'ing or working through those things before they ER.

When I meet old work friends they will sometimes say "do you miss it?" and I'll say No lol and they'll go oh you are so lucky it's so bad here....

Regrets? I’ve had a few, but then again, too few to mention

I’ll mention one, but it wouldn’t have stopped me from retiring. I was at a point in my career where the money I was making was very good and the effort I was exerting was minimal. There are times where I think that I should have stuck around for a little while longer and grabbed a few more years of easy money.

However, I didn’t, and frankly it’s just One More Year syndrome done after the fact. That extra money would not change my life at all. So I’m still good with my decision as I start year four.

OP, your question implies retirement is about leaving work. For me, retirement is about choosing what I want to do with my life. I have never regretted placing myself in a financial situation which allowed me the opportunity to choose my own path.

Seven months in and no regrets at age 55. It does take some getting used to, however. I’ve also noticed that my ER Forum posts are longer, so apologies. [emoji41]

We spent a couple of winter months down south this year, including visits with my two longest friends, both now highly successful and “self-made”, with kids in private schools, big homes and new Mercedes. Of course, they are naturally benchmarks for my life, since we’ve known each other since childhood, when we delivered pizzas or shagged golf balls for extra money. Even though I never had a career path with their kind of high income potential I, however, chose a path back in my twenties to buy my freedom ASAP, while they have no plans to retire. We have Japanese cars and an old bungalow that we do a lot of hands on work to. Different strokes for different folks.

One friend bought a spec house for his family last year, which came with a beautiful wine cellar. My friend bought probably 200 random bottles simply to fill it up and said to me that he knows nothing about wine and (as a busy attorney) said he likely would never dedicate time to learn. I replied that I did love it, have been studying it and would be glad to help him spend and drink his wine budget. I mentioned that we are going to Bordeaux with some friends this fall, if Covid allows. I said he would really enjoy taking his wife to Sonoma sometime but I could tell it didn’t even register with him as a possibility. They only visit Miami and St. Barts. Nowhere else holds any interest.

A few years ago, I did manage to get my other friend to park his IT business long enough to visit the Turks and Caicos with me for some bone fishing, which he genuinely loved.

I’m still settling in to this new life but this long, relaxed trip home has confirmed that I’ve made the much richer decision — FOR ME.

I retired too early at 57, but no serious regrets. I thought DW (2 years younger) would retire shortly after me, but she continued to work another 8 years! And though I certainly realized none of my age cohorts, friends or strangers, would be around during the day Mon thru Fri - it wasn’t fun to have “no one to play” with Mon thru Fri. I wasn’t ready then to play with other retirees who were all (much) older.

Even though I was at over 200% FIRECALC success rate when I retired early, I might was well have worked a few more years and retired a little later as I was at the peak of my earning years in a very well paying job I could do in my sleep. I did miss about 20% of my co-workers, but I was glad to be rid of about 20% of them.

Now I’m an actual senior at 66 and DW is retired, life is good. Hindsight is a wonderful thing...

Last edited:
Well I only have been retired for 2 months (at 55) and winter and Covid is a tough start (but I knew that of course!). I was going to do a bunch of home projects, I haven't.. I never think about work only the people. I was feeling guilty for not doing much but as my friend said, 35 years of working, getting degrees and raising kids I need to go easy on myself. Once I can, I will be making list (for those home projects, because I love checking off lists!), travelling, volunteering, visiting my parents and lunching with friends!

Back
Top Bottom