Guy who retired at 37 following MMustache is miserable

A snippet or comment would be nice. Perhaps your own perspective on why members should open this link.

Check the date it was posted.

Attachments

• April 1.PNG
    April 1.PNG
    3.3 KB · Views: 1,015
It’s just a humorous spoof.

All blog posts are posted to attract viewers/readers.

Taking contrarian views is one easy way to attract readers and get them posted on other sites. Kinda like this one.

Plus you get to the end and it is all a joke. April fools!. Surprise!

Caveat Emptor with any strategy. Work until 95 if you want to. Quit at 37 if you want to.

Click bait, April Fool's day...can't figure out if it's sarcastic, sardonic, or ironic...anyway, reading it helped reinforce why I want to retire early!

While I get the post was not serious, I could easily see a much different version of that post being completely true for some people. The more time I spend on MMM forums, the more I feel bad for some of the people. For a too-large number of the people posting there, FIRE is the ONLY goal, and getting there at ANY cost is acceptable it seems.

You love cars? Who cares? They cost money! Sell your cars and bike everywhere!

You hate biking? Who cares, it's free and it's exercise so do it!

You love going to the beach and traveling to see other cultures? Read about them for free at your local library instead!

You love good steaks? So what, being vegan is cheaper! Give up meat and eat lettuce instead or you deserve a face-punch!

You spend more than $25k/year:confused: Cut out all that waste Mr. Spendypants!.. and have a face-punch while you're at it!

Seems that many are willing to give up, and recommend others give up, the things they enjoy most in life. Work 2-3 jobs (err... side hustles), forego even socializing with friends if it isn't free or they can't find a way to make money doing it, etc... just to "retire" (which means go work a job they may like better for a lot of them) as fast as possible.

The concept of "live now AND later" seems to get lost in the message by many.

One of those who finally "gets there" and realizes they gave up years of enjoyment just to retire with so little they still can't do what they really enjoy is eventually going to make a post with a similar title to that satire piece imo.

The concept of "live now AND later" seems to get lost in the message by many.

That's why I like THIS forum...people here mostly want to maintain a standard of living, and live life, not just make it to a bare minimum existence. You can be homeless and do that! I wanted to retire at 50 in Hawaii (high cost of living), and LBYM for 27 years to be able to do so...now, at 52, I'm FI, and plan to retire next year, selling one condo and buying another or a house...and traveling on 50% of the budget... Live for the future, FIRE with a reasonable standard of living! IMHO.

Although most of us have serious LBYM history, it is also why Robbie's "Blow that Dough" thread is so popular.

Balance.

It has occurred to me many times over the years that I could live a minimal existence now so that I can retire as early as possible and continue to live a minimal existence later. I am simply not willing to do that. I want a nice life now and after I retire, and I have been willing to work a few more years to make that happen.

I suppose it can viewed as a minimal existence but another angle is doing and spending on things that actually make you happy/fulfilled. So, the nuts and bolts are really about understanding what makes you happy/fulfilled and getting value out of the dollars you spend trying to achieve it.

MMM is about striving towards living an efficient, yet still enjoyable life versus a mindless consumer spend. If someone is happy with inexpensive hobbies like spending most of his time going down the river to go fishing or helping someone fix their car or volunteering at your kid's school, that's not a bad thing. If buying an item is going to make your life that much more happy or efficient, that's a great idea.

I like the overall MMM philosophy but I freely admit I enjoy a lot of things that are likely somewhat wasteful, not efficient, etc. I enjoy going on cruises, going to the odd hockey game, using a car to get around, etc. But I do question whether some of my spends were really worth it. Was it worth spending 100 of my hard earned dollars to see my hapless team get blown out and did it make my life that much more enjoyable for 3 hours? Evaluating every single spend would drive someone mad but I think there's value in evaluating what you're getting out of your triple digit spends.

Yes I like balance but I noticed that more MM readers are more moderate and the hardcore members don’t like it. They created a thread for that purpose only.

This alone is a big tip-off to me. All this guy needs is a pointy haired boss and he has it made. He can then be like Wally, who has seemingly achieved his work goal of "working myself into a position where I have no effect on anything".

I miss a lot of things, but close to the top is my cube. I loved the uniform shade of gray that bordered my vision on all sides. The bland consistency made it easier for me to focus on my monitor. That’s where the real action in life is.

I suppose it can viewed as a minimal existence but another angle is doing and spending on things that actually make you happy/fulfilled. So, the nuts and bolts are really about understanding what makes you happy/fulfilled and getting value out of the dollars you spend trying to achieve it.

MMM is about striving towards living an efficient, yet still enjoyable life versus a mindless consumer spend. If someone is happy with inexpensive hobbies like spending most of his time going down the river to go fishing or helping someone fix their car or volunteering at your kid's school, that's not a bad thing. If buying an item is going to make your life that much more happy or efficient, that's a great idea.

I like the overall MMM philosophy but I freely admit I enjoy a lot of things that are likely somewhat wasteful, not efficient, etc. I enjoy going on cruises, going to the odd hockey game, using a car to get around, etc. But I do question whether some of my spends were really worth it. Was it worth spending 100 of my hard earned dollars to see my hapless team get blown out and did it make my life that much more enjoyable for 3 hours? Evaluating every single spend would drive someone mad but I think there's value in evaluating what you're getting out of your triple digit spends.

The reason I mentioned I was talking about the people on the forums is because I agree with you on what it's supposed to be about., spending money on those things that make you happy, not just because other people spend money on that stuff.

If you read the forums, however, a large percentage of people have taken it well beyond that message and moved towards "spending money is bad, and if you don't NEED to spend the money on something then you're an idiot for doing so". The more moderate people are posting more and more these days (those who don't have that same aversion to ALL spending), but the overall gist there is still one of "if I don't think it's necessary spending, you shouldn't spend money on it either or you're a spendypants fool and why are you even here on these forums anyway!"

The reason I mentioned I was talking about the people on the forums is because I agree with you on what it's supposed to be about., spending money on those things that make you happy, not just because other people spend money on that stuff.

If you read the forums, however, a large percentage of people have taken it well beyond that message and moved towards "spending money is bad, and if you don't NEED to spend the money on something then you're an idiot for doing so". The more moderate people are posting more and more these days (those who don't have that same aversion to ALL spending), but the overall gist there is still one of "if I don't think it's necessary spending, you shouldn't spend money on it either or you're a spendypants fool and why are you even here on these forums anyway!"

Prior to ER.org I read MMM. Thankfully that was only for 6 months or so. The lifestyle recommended on MMM would be miserable for me and my family. Since day one I always thought the FI was way more important than the ER. You can't ER w/out the FI so work toward FI. Then if you want to and it's right for you and your family go ahead and ER. I have been FI for almost 8 years. I tried ER for 8 months and wasn't ready mentally/emotionally. I don't hate my job. If 10 is love and 1 is hate I am probably at a 6. Basically zero stress, no politics, no micro managing. Only required to take 2-3 trips per year and they are to great locations (San Diego, VA Beach). They pay me way too much. Commute is 15 minutes. My initial FI from almost 8 years ago put us at a basic spend level. I enjoyed the ride to FI, am enjoying the ride now and will continue to enjoy the ride before and after we ER.

Gotta go. Off to my side hustle. Umpiring a men's league game. $75 cash at the plate. Truth is I would do it for free. And if not umpiring the game I would probably be playing in it.

Yup, I understand. Partly why I couldn't get into following the MMM forums; herd mentality.

Similar "at all costs" type story: there's a blogger :rolleyes: that paid off his $250k mortgage in 3 years during his late 20's. He did it by working 80-100hrs a week (main job and side jobs), living in upstairs and renting the basement, eating meals of kraft dinner and veg, didn't really go out/date, didn't travel except for a short vacation by bus, etc. He's let off the gas a bit now in his 30's now that he's paid off his mortgage and obviously has choices without a mortgage hanging over him. But it was basically at the cost of basically wasting what should have been some of the best years of his life. I dunno, I suppose it's really up to him to say whether it was worth it or not.

I just kind of find it a bit ridiculous that he seems to have parlayed his notoriety into people thinking he's a personal finance expert now. :rolleyes:

I enjoy ... going to the odd hockey game ... [but] was it worth spending 100 of my hard earned dollars to see my hapless team get blown out and did it make my life that much more enjoyable for 3 hours?
For your own sanity, stop supporting the Leafs!

1297540625875_ORIGINAL.jpg

leafs-fans-upset.jpg

toronto-maple-leafs-finding-a-way-to-not-be-a-successful-hockey-team.jpg

970fa9b77bafc72cfdfe13215d6445f6.jpg

Last edited:
Yup, I understand. Partly why I couldn't get into following the MMM forums; herd mentality.

Similar "at all costs" type story: there's a blogger :rolleyes: that paid off his $250k mortgage in 3 years during his late 20's. He did it by working 80-100hrs a week (main job and side jobs), living in upstairs and renting the basement, eating meals of kraft dinner and veg, didn't really go out/date, didn't travel except for a short vacation by bus, etc. He's let off the gas a bit now in his 30's now that he's paid off his mortgage and obviously has choices without a mortgage hanging over him. But it was basically at the cost of basically wasting what should have been some of the best years of his life. I dunno, I suppose it's really up to him to say whether it was worth it or not.

I just kind of find it a bit ridiculous that he seems to have parlayed his notoriety into people thinking he's a personal finance expert now. :rolleyes:

Hmm, I spent my late 20s and into my early 30s working a series of very demanding jobs, going to business school nights and weekends, and earning a cfa charter. Did I waste those years?

Hmm, I spent my late 20s and into my early 30s working a series of very demanding jobs, going to business school nights and weekends, and earning a cfa charter. Did I waste those years?

Well, as I commented, it would be for you to look back and determine if the sacrifices you made for your cfa designation was worth it.
People make choices and need to sleep in the beds they've made but also reap the rewards they sow. I just find it a bit disingenuous for anyone to whine about the effort and side effects when they purposely made decisions to support their path of choice.

Well, as I commented, it would be for you to look back and determine if the sacrifices you made for your cfa designation was worth it.
People make choices and need to sleep in the beds they've made but also reap the rewards they sow. I just find it a bit disingenuous for anyone to whine about the effort and side effects when they purposely made decisions to support their path of choice.

+1

I started reading his blog from the beginning date and thought he had some good points. UNTIL, he started talking about how much money he was making from his forum. How he is a millionaire but then complained how his wife lost a realtor comm from a house she did not show and many other things. His style is just way too frugal for me to enjoy life. I have regretted decisions of things I have purchased as well as things I went without. I will just continue to do what makes me happy.

I guess I would say it is human nature to second guess yourself and count the cost of your choices even when they seem to have worked out well. We cannot all be lotus eaters in our youth, regardless of what millenials seem to think.

Back
Top Bottom