How low can you (the Dow) go, and when is the time to buy?

:confused:Depreciation allowance - in this case ships.

Just guessing.

heh heh heh

unclemick2 said:
:confused:Depreciation allowance - in this case ships.

Just guessing.

heh heh heh

Give that man a cigar (or a new pair of overalls).

Both EGLE and DSX pay out all ofg their operating cash flow. GAAP based earnings fall short because of depreciation, amortization, and other non-cash items. If either of them wants to buy more ships, they have to find a good enough deal that it is worth issuing more stock. I like the discipline this imposes on management.

Brew - or anybody.

Shipping stocks seem to be relatively new kids on the block - didn't they used to be mostly private type arrangements?

What has changed on the world stage that going public is desirible - raising capital on market is preferable to private sources?

heh heh heh - nagging feeling that I might be the patsy here.

I think a couple of things happened. One, everyine is looking for return (I recently read an article on institutional investors buying farmland for investment purposes), and shipping companies can offer it in a tax-efficient manner. Two, the tanker companies went public 5 to 10 years ago and had a great run, so it was only a matter of time until the same happened for other types of ships.

In dry bulk, ownership is extremely fragmented. I think the public companies are engaged in a roll-up the way tankers did over the last 5 to 10 years. If the companies remain disciplined, returns can be very good.

HaHa said:
Right; and we ERs on the board are exactly in his boat. Good point!

Ha
My retirement plan has been favorably compared to Warren Buffet's. I can die now.

I hope I can mis-quote you on that, Ha. I want to put that on the dust jacket of the second edition of Engineering Your Retirement.

I guess I have to credit dusk_to_dawn for the comparison too.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
I dont think its going to drop that far, but I fully expect to see something close to 1000 by years end, maybe a little bit into next year.

And why exactly do you feel that the market has been overvalued and should return to a 2003 level? Exactly how much padding is there in the current valuations?

I don't understand what you guys see that would justify a 25% drop. Granted I know way less than you guys do, but when I expand the charts out to 5 or so years, I see a normal slope in the line with just a small blip at the end. Surely the 5% dip we just saw accounts for this already?

NinjaPigeon said:
I don't understand what you guys see that would justify a 25% drop.
With the emotions of human beings involved, there is no need for any justification to see a 25% drop.

I just looked at the Japan and China markets and there both down about 2.4% so far for the session.
Should be interesting tomorrow.

I still go back to October 9th, 2002..when the Dow hit 7286, and NOONE wanted to buy in............ :p :p

But now, at 12,000 something, it's "overvalued"............ :LOL: :LOL:

Yep, and I remember Bill Gross saying that the DOW was going to 5000. Of course, at that time, the dividend yield on the DOW was higher than the T-Bill rate, so it was practically a no-brainer to move funds from a MM fund to stocks.

FinanceDude said:
I still go back to October 9th, 2002..when the Dow hit 7286, and NOONE wanted to buy in............ :p :p

So what are you saying here?

Ha

FinanceDude said:

Funny how we're wired backwards to run away from bargains/sales and then rush in when things are fully valued...? Except for real estate, we dont do it that way for any other purchase.

HaHa said:
So what are you saying here?

Ha

The DOW is probably the WORST index out there.......only 30 stocks, and market cap weighted............. :p

Let's look at a typical CNBC scenario: Microsoft reports lower than expected earnings on Vista, it drops $1.25 a share, the Dow goes down 100 points, and we have a "Chicken Little" event........... :LOL: :LOL:

FWIW, MSFT is in ALL 3 major indexes............... :eek: :eek:

The DOW is probably the WORST index out there.......only 30 stocks, and market cap weighted.............

Wrong. The DJ Index is price weighted. The S&P Index is market cap weighted. At least you had the 30 part right ;) :)

wildcat said:
Wrong. The DJ Index is price weighted. The S&P Index is market cap weighted. At least you had the 30 part right ;) :)

Sorry.................tired............... :p :p

Back
Top Bottom