It's hard clearing out the clutter

Mostly trophies, plaques and other awards for what in retrospect appear to be trivial accomplishments.

Thanx for the reminder ... I spread out a vast collection framed "awards" on the TOP of the trash cart. Still remember co-workers stopping to dumpster dive ... looking wide eyed to see who's trashing the gems. A couple where stripped for the frame ... otherwise they received the burial they deserved.

I have thought about a new rule....if you bring something into the house...you have to take something out ;)

Actually...isnt "declutter" and organize, one of the first stages of ER....

Maddy the Turbo Beagle said:
Actually...isnt "declutter" and organize, one of the first stages of ER....

Yep. Followed by anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance.

Wait! I've got it all wrong. Those are the steps someone goes through when they realize they will never be able to FIRE....

Fireup2025 said:
When I get my "own" place again, I'll decorate as I see fit (good stuff without paying full retail)

This may suggest a new thread- but I would be very interested in what you mean here. What are some good strategies for going beyond particle board crap and still not paying a lot of money?

In the Bay Area I had a friend who ran an antique shop. It burned down. Within a few weeks he was able to stock another store with nice stuff. But I missed how he did it. :)

Ha

We've lived in our house over 20 years. One of the things we loved when we bought the house was the attic. It's the space above the 2 car attached garage. Easy access from the upstairs hallway. We even changed the half height door to a full height door so we could store an extra double bed in there. But then the problem was that we had such easy access and SOME members of the family started saving everything. My husband is one of those guys who saves every box, just in case. I have to admit, when he sells an electronic on eBay, the original box and packing material is very handy. But he saved far too much. Over the years the attic became so disorganized and jam packed full that there was no longer space to put your feet down or move to a spot to look for something. Last year I started a job and needed my Social Security card and spent 2 hours trying to find the right box in the attic and gave up. It was easier and less dangerous to go spend a half day at the Social Security office and get a new one.

Our city has been slowly moving to standardized trash containers. Once your neighborhood gets the new can, you have to have all your trash in the new can, nothing can be left outside, except for appliances and they have a special pickup. We were one of the last areas who still hadn't gotten the new cans, but I knew it was coming soon. So last December we tackled the attic. We all had a week off at the same time and we used the Keep, Toss, or Sell method from the TLC "Clean Sweep" TV show. We kept about 10 % of the stuff and tossed about 90%. We had practically nothing to sell as we had had a few garage sales over the years and my husband sells stuff on eBay. This took us about 4 days, bringing everything down from the attic and sorting in the living room and dining room. We made multiple trips in the truck to Goodwill and used contractor bags (heavy duty large trash bags) to bag up the rest.

Trash day came and the scrap guys came and took anything metal and the city took the rest. What a wonderful cleansing experience!! We all felt a sigh of relief and now anyone who needs to store something has plenty of space. But we learned our lesson. Don't let it get that bad again. We don't need to keep everything, it becomes a burden.

Maddy the Turbo Beagle said:
I have thought about a new rule....if you bring something into the house...you have to take something out ;)
Now that's a great idea.

HaHa said:
What are some good strategies for going beyond particle board crap and still not paying a lot of money?
Patience and daily reading of Craigslist/FreeCycle (or whatever's online in your area).

Spouse patiently stalked Craigslist for a couch for nearly a year.

It had to be a particular size, height, color, material, and from a nonsmoking/cat-free environment. We drove to about a dozen false alarms (usually to luxury neighborhoods like Kahala, Hawaii Kai, & Aina Haina) but each trip helped her refine her criteria.

So when the guy ran a Craigslist ad for his liquidation sale at the Asian gallery warehouse in Kakaako, the kind of neighborhood that's normally wrapped in CSI's "Police Line-- Do Not Cross" tape, she was ready to pounce.

It's very nice. But, dude, it's a couch.

Its not the prize but the thrill of the hunt.

Ha -

I will not just walk into a furniture store and "buy" what I feel like. I'll find my "designer" rooms in magazines, and then hunt (see posting on the thrill of the hunt)...looking forward to it! (toss in some IKEA things for great storage solutions, and it will look great!) Design chic cheap :D

Back
Top Bottom