Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2019, 07:44 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
His net worth is $400 million dollars. He's done well.
Some people claim to be worth Billions, but look at their fan base.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2019, 01:11 PM   #42

If Kevin wants to work until he drops dead fine.

We decided to retire early. We wanted to enjoy our good health and our financial resources. We do not want to be the wealthiest people in the retirement home.

brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:27 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Retired 12 years. I guess I'm too dumb to know I'm happy or not. Which is fine by me.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:06 PM   #44

Puritan absolutism is alive and well.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:42 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
He likes playing the role of Mr Wonderful rather than actually working.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:04 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

From the article,
Quote:
"Working is not just about money. People don't understand this very often, until they stop working," O'Leary says. "Work defines who you are. It provides a place where you're social with people, it gives you interaction with people all day long in an interesting way. It even helps you live longer and is very, very good for brain health."
(Yawn). I think he should rephrase it, to just refer to himself only. I would suggest to him that many people regard work as, well, WORK... not a place to party, to "find oneself", or as their sole source of intellectual stimulation. In fact, at many places of employment, one is expected to actually work. Imagine that.

I can't imagine how someone like him could have ever kept a job.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:24 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Volunteering, clubs, classes meetups, church affiliation, dog parks, gyms - there's all sorts of ways to socialize outside of paid work. I met became good friends with someone I met randomly at a McDonald's once while our kids were playing in gym area.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:31 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Volunteering, clubs, classes meetups, church affiliation, dog parks, gyms - there's all sorts of ways to socialize outside of paid work. I met became good friends with someone I met randomly at a McDonald's once while our kids were playing in gym area.
+1

Part of growing up is learning how to make friends.

One terrific advantage to having been a Navy wife, is that each time we were relocated I had to make new friends. It's pretty easy to do, with a little practice, and this skill has helped me so much throughout life.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:42 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

To quote Shark Tank, "I'm out"!
redshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:03 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
In the last week I've had a taste of "retirement without anything else to do" as I recover from being sick. It's tough being cooped up, and I could see how someone doing this voluntarily would see work as a better option.
My thoughts as well. Iíve been down with a nasty case of bronchitis for the last 6 weeks. For 3 of those weeks, the only time I left the house was doctor appointments. Iíve gotten antsy and bored - but on the plus side, Iíve gotten through 3 books and binged 2 TV shows.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
From the article,

(Yawn). I think he should rephrase it, to just refer to himself only. I would suggest to him that many people regard work as, well, WORK... not a place to party, to "find oneself", or as their sole source of intellectual stimulation. In fact, at many places of employment, one is expected to actually work. Imagine that.

Absolutely. Itís his life and perspective. It doesnít apply to everyone else!

Funny how some folks are so self centered they canít imagine others are different.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:04 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Some of my most obnoxious college classmates went on the be successful entrepreneurs because they were unemployable!
Old 03-28-2019, 10:49 AM   #53
gone traveling

A first goal for me in achieving FI is to get to a spot where I don't HAVE to work. I don't dislike my job to the point I would quit day one. It's easy to keep working it until I make the jump to starting a business I'm passionate about.

If you are lucky enough to work a job you love, or to start a business you are passionate about, why "retire". Just keep doing what you love and if you happen to collect a check doing it, than great.

In Kevin's case, he's doing something he loves and is passionate about that pays dividends for him. No reason for him to check out.

When he socializes, he wants to talk business 90% of the time, so why not stay engaged in the business world.

It's like a sportswriter in my town on Mpls. Sid Hartman is 99 years old and never "retired". It's his life and he would sooner die than not do his daily routine where he talks sports with people in the industry.

To me, that's the ultimate to find a business or job that you are passionate about that also pays you something.

So to me, the toughest step is getting to a point where you no longer "need" to work because you'll end up enjoying it more and won't need to deal with the parts of "work" that you despise.
(Bad bosses, bad hours, bad assignments).
dd564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:40 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I've been getting ads lately to attend O'Leary's free wealth building seminars. The web site for the seminar says most people "...wake up, go to a job (one they probably hate), come home, eat dinner, watch a few hours of Netflix, go to bed, wake up and start the soul-sucking process all over again."

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:46 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
.... Now that I am retired, I resent the intrusion to my active retired life.
I'm with you. It's odd how when I was w*rking, I loathed...and I mean I absolutely HATED getting up in the AM. These days, I am quite annoyed if I sleep so late as to miss the sun coming up. I have found there is no better way to start a day off GREAT than a fresh cup of coffee and a nice sunrise.

And Kevin O'Leary? Yeah, I could care less about his opinion.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:02 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

When I am asked to volunteer, I always ask if the job can be outsourced and if so I say how about I contribute so we can afford to hire someone?
Old 03-29-2019, 04:01 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I FIREd in January. And I have no idea how I ever found time for work. No wonder itís so stressful.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:16 PM   #58
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
Kevin who?
jeffst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:17 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
If you don't have a social life that is your fault and work has nothing to do with your social life. You make your life what you want it to be.
Words to live by... We finally have time to get together with friends whenever we want to. One of my goals was to expand my social circle in order to include adults of all ages, so I won't end up as lonely as my Grandmother was when she died at 101. She outlived her husband, all of her friends, all of her kids but my Mom, and was past ready to meet her maker for her last several years.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:17 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

read the article and was just shaking my head...everyone here pretty much said what i was thinking....if you're "bored out of your mind" not working guess what? you're boring!

FREE866 is offline   Reply With Quote