Kevin O'Leary discourages FIRE

From the article,

(Yawn). I think he should rephrase it, to just refer to himself only. I would suggest to him that many people regard work as, well, WORK... not a place to party, to "find oneself", or as their sole source of intellectual stimulation. In fact, at many places of employment, one is expected to actually work. Imagine that. :rolleyes:

I can't imagine how someone like him could have ever kept a job.

Absolutely. It’s his life and perspective. It doesn’t apply to everyone else!

Funny how some folks are so self centered they can’t imagine others are different.

A first goal for me in achieving FI is to get to a spot where I don't HAVE to work. I don't dislike my job to the point I would quit day one. It's easy to keep working it until I make the jump to starting a business I'm passionate about.

If you are lucky enough to work a job you love, or to start a business you are passionate about, why "retire". Just keep doing what you love and if you happen to collect a check doing it, than great.

In Kevin's case, he's doing something he loves and is passionate about that pays dividends for him. No reason for him to check out.

When he socializes, he wants to talk business 90% of the time, so why not stay engaged in the business world.

It's like a sportswriter in my town on Mpls. Sid Hartman is 99 years old and never "retired". It's his life and he would sooner die than not do his daily routine where he talks sports with people in the industry.

To me, that's the ultimate to find a business or job that you are passionate about that also pays you something.

So to me, the toughest step is getting to a point where you no longer "need" to work because you'll end up enjoying it more and won't need to deal with the parts of "work" that you despise.
(Bad bosses, bad hours, bad assignments).

I've been getting ads lately to attend O'Leary's free wealth building seminars. The web site for the seminar says most people "...wake up, go to a job (one they probably hate), come home, eat dinner, watch a few hours of Netflix, go to bed, wake up and start the soul-sucking process all over again."

.... Now that I am retired, I resent the intrusion to my active retired life.

I'm with you. It's odd how when I was w*rking, I loathed...and I mean I absolutely HATED getting up in the AM. These days, I am quite annoyed if I sleep so late as to miss the sun coming up. I have found there is no better way to start a day off GREAT than a fresh cup of coffee and a nice sunrise.

And Kevin O'Leary? Yeah, I could care less about his opinion. ;)

When I am asked to volunteer, I always ask if the job can be outsourced and if so I say how about I contribute so we can afford to hire someone?

If you don't have a social life that is your fault and work has nothing to do with your social life. You make your life what you want it to be.

Words to live by... We finally have time to get together with friends whenever we want to. One of my goals was to expand my social circle in order to include adults of all ages, so I won't end up as lonely as my Grandmother was when she died at 101. She outlived her husband, all of her friends, all of her kids but my Mom, and was past ready to meet her maker for her last several years.

Reactions: jj
read the article and was just shaking my head...everyone here pretty much said what i was thinking....if you're "bored out of your mind" not working guess what? you're boring!

Words to live by... We finally have time to get together with friends whenever we want to. One of my goals was to expand my social circle in order to include adults of all ages, so I won't end up as lonely as my Grandmother was when she died at 101. She outlived her husband, all of her friends, all of her kids but my Mom, and was past ready to meet her maker for her last several years.

Spin, I have met a few 100+ year olds and all of them have outlived family and friends. It happens a lot.

Maybe related to Suzie Orman preaching - work until you are 70..

I went to the Las Vegas money show a few years ago and one of the famous ladies there who wrote books about how others should invest and prepare had apparently undergone some personal problems from the comments she made at the "pulpit". I got the distinct impression of bitterness that the planned financial life partner had made an exit suddenly and a long lived frail parent costs were impacting her (the daughter) drastically with things like long term care .

If I got clobbered with these things I might also recommend a huge nest egg not to impoverish my kids if I required care and had no partner to lean on. Really don't remember who the speaker was and mean no disrespect to her and my impressions may not have been correct.

Recently heard a talk about age bands and help required and they had rules of thumb.

Was suggested in 80s many need some help and some cognitive slowing by 90's lots of help.. Your mileage may vary : )

may Keven O'Leary drop dead in a dole queue

unemployed because he was replaced by someone who didn't want to continue working and was fully capable of self-funding a gypsy life-style .

FIRE is helping keeping the jobless lines small .

work at what you love , sure ... if you can get that job

hate your job ( and co-workers ) that is a recipe for trouble

For every Kevin O, there are a hundred people who DON'T love the job, the challenge, the travel, the stress, the lack of personal time, etc. I'm happy to be in that second group.

Spin, I have met a few 100+ year olds and all of them have outlived family and friends. It happens a lot.

aja, I know. My great GM lived to 101 also, and my mom is 82 now and going strong. I stay active like she does, so I might live for quite some time.

Back
Top Bottom