Stress, Social Status, and Buying Stuff

I found early on that the more money I had the less stress I felt from work and life in general. So I started socking away the money early on with no expectation of ER, but just for the stress relief.

Working is actually pretty fun once you remove the stress. Ironically, the more financially secure I get the less likely I want to stop working...

I discovered when I ER'd that a significant portion of my spending was on stuff that I bought as a treat to relieve stress or to fit into the social and corporate structure. After ER I quickly came to the realization I didn't really want all that stuff and it was no longer "necessary". My spending habits are much different today.

I discovered when I ER'd that a significant portion of my spending was on stuff that I bought as a treat to relieve stress or to fit into the social and corporate structure. After ER I quickly came to the realization I didn't really want all that stuff and it was no longer "necessary". My spending habits are much different today.

Any specifics you can share?

Any specifics you can share?

I don't mean to answer for martyp, but I really like this blog post on the subject:

"The ultimate tool for corporations to sustain a culture of this sort is to develop the 40-hour workweek as the normal lifestyle. Under these working conditions people have to build a life in the evenings and on weekends. This arrangement makes us naturally more inclined to spend heavily on entertainment and conveniences because our free time is so scarce.

I’ve only been back at work for a few days, but already I’m noticing that the more wholesome activities are quickly dropping out of my life: walking, exercising, reading, meditating, and extra writing.

The one conspicuous similarity between these activities is that they cost little or no money, but they take time."

Your Lifestyle Has Already Been Designed

Last edited:

+1

I’ve only been back at work for a few days, but already I’m noticing that the more wholesome activities are quickly dropping out of my life: walking, exercising, reading, meditating, and extra writing.

The one conspicuous similarity between these activities is that they cost little or no money, but they take time."

Your Lifestyle Has Already Been Designed

Very interesting and with a good bit of truth in it for me at least. I certainly enjoy cheaper things as a retired man of small, but independent, means. (love that phrase!) Today for about $2 I spent an hour talking with a friend, an hour reading the news, and all the while sipping coffee outdoors on a sunny morning.

That is rich! And inexpensive! The only cost was my time.

Last edited:
We bought our Porsche cayman s during the 08 downturn used. $40k out the door, 12k miles. Sticker read $70k. Was about the same price as the Hyundai genesis coupe my wife originally wanted. I figured, when we go to sell, Ill probably do better selling the used Porsche than the new Hyundai.

In the mean time, she is waaaaay happier.

We bought our Porsche cayman s during the 08 downturn used. $40k out the door, 12k miles. Sticker read $70k. Was about the same price as the Hyundai genesis coupe my wife originally wanted. I figured, when we go to sell, Ill probably do better selling the used Porsche than the new Hyundai.

In the mean time, she is waaaaay happier.

That is a great car. Enjoy!

Working is actually pretty fun once you remove the stress. Ironically, the more financially secure I get the less likely I want to stop working...

As I am getting closer to FIRE, I find myself less satisfied with working. I am less stressed now, and my job is interesting and pays extremely well, yet the more money I accumulate the more I'm enticed to RE and not do anything. Perhaps I'm inherently lazy and my true life's goal is to become a coach potato. :)

As I am getting closer to FIRE, I find myself less satisfied with working. I am less stressed now, and my job is interesting and pays extremely well, yet the more money I accumulate the more I'm enticed to RE and not do anything. Perhaps I'm inherently lazy and my true life's goal is to become a coach potato. :)

I know that feeling very well. Corporate job pays very well, but there is a tremendous amount of bureaucracy that slows down anything getting done in a reasonable timeframe. Perhaps my life would be better if I simply accepted bureaucracy as part of large corporate life, but the entrepreneur/small company guy in me just chafes at the idea that things should take as long as they do. As money accumulates faster and faster, I'll probably get the itch to try the start up or small company environment, as long as I have sufficient control and authority.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom