Where will you be in five years?

In 5 years I will be:

FI and months away from retirement.

In 5 years I will be 46 and probably still working for the federal government. I guess that depends on the new pay system put in place and how I feel it is treating me.

By then I should have my 401K contributions maxed out and hopefully working on some IRA contributions.

By then I will be 51 and FIREd for about 3 years. I currently have two homes and will have sold one. The other is a couple acres and not yet landscaped...it will be done before the 5 years is over. Along with Want2Retire, I'll be planning my garden for the coming spring. Probably, I'll be relaxing on the veranda in the morning with a cup of cocoa, or perhaps cuddling in front of the woodstove on a cold morning. I'll get up some mornings and decide I want to go visit a friend or family a few states away. In essence, I'll do what I want, when I want...:)

R

hopefully still with the same company
47 years young
kids 11 8 6
in the burbs with decent schools & mercifully reasonable RE taxes
2-3mm working in the mkt
5 years from FIRE

I'll be 33.

Hopefully in a new house. Running around in a big yard with my daughter.
Able to save more.
Maybe a new government job.

I hope to RE on December 31, 2012, so in five years I will have three days to go!

:D

I plan to RE in 2012 (at 50yo) also. I will be retiring a few months earlier than you so I can have a few months of fun before December 21st of that year.

Last edited:
I am hoping to be above ground.

Ha

In 5 years, I will be 30

we should own a house by then (with only 11 years left on the mortgage)

we should have most of the remodeling finished on said home

we will have maxed out our tax-preferred savings options and will have taxable investments at least started

we will have been to at least foreign countries during that time

we will have picked up at least 3 knew hobbies in that time

The rest I have no clue about.

51, in the same house I'm in right now, that I planned and built for retirement.

Retired, and hopefully wondering why I fretted at all about the decision in 2008.

Looking at my daughter's college graduation photo from the previous spring.

Planning my next ultramarathon, and sticking with my plan of improving my overall fitness instead of just focusing on endurance running.

Oogling over the latest skis, forcing myself to let the price come down on the newest technology by waiting for it to die down in a year or two. Planning an annual trip out skiing the Rockies or wherever the snow is looking best, while going out daily as long as I feel like at the local ski hill.

Golfing regularly in the 80s, rather than being thrilled on the occasion I break 90.

Watching the landscaping I've added over the last 10-12 years mature into attractive and/or functional (shade, windblock and hill erosion control) plants and trees.

Finding my niche in some community role(s).

Kids will be out of college (fingers crossed) and on their own. Will be able to get down to some serious ER Planning. Will be 48 then. Expecting some surprises along the way though - nothing seems to go just as planned - guess that is part of the fun.

I'm not a young dreamer, but I guess I can reply. In five years I hope to be thankful for each day. By then, we will be living off a pension and DH's retirement fund. I like to think that he and I will be doing more things as a couple and growing old together gracefully.

If things work out... Early Retirement. :)

In 5 years.....

First, I hope my boyfriend and I are still in good health.
Second, I hope we didn't spend so much money if we got married.
Third, I hope I won't be sitting at the same job and/or making the same income.
Fourth, we're thinking of buying a house together next year so I hope we made good decision on my current house and his current house.
Finally.....
If we have kid(s), then I hope we can put away at least 20% of our income toward retirement accounts yearly.
If no kid then I hope we made good progress toward our 12 years saving plan, so we can have an option to quit our full-time job.

In five years I'll be free of the government noose. Writing full time and living somewhere outside of North America. Dreams live on.

:cool:

Hopefully living in Europe somewhere, France, working and saving, hoping the dollar will re-bound. At least out of the desert.

FS info

-Try to get in the foreign service (as a side note, anyone here ever done this?)

I wasn't in the FS per se but I did a stint where I travelled to embassies around the world, working with folks in the FS, so I know a little about the job. If you have technical (computer) or an engineering background it should be pretty straight forward. Be prepared to be sent where ever they need you. The State Department has some real "garden spots". :cool:

Good luck.

Oh I forgot I retired 2 years ago and I am already doing that.:D;) Maybe in 5 years I will go back to the Middle East to visit.

GOD BLESS:angel:

I thought you didn't like the Middle East?? :confused::confused:

Depends where you go in the middle east: Dubai, Oman, and Lebanon are all amazing places that I highly recommend everyone visit.

5 years - age, old enough, living hopefully back in Europe, either working only-part-time or finishing up a ~3 yr stint with another employer from the current one, finishing up my last year as a Reservist (if I get picked up for O-6, if not, I'll be retired from the Reserves in 2009), and contemplating ER. Husband will either be retired from the military or applying for it.

I don't read or post very often amymore. Nothing negative about the
board. (Don't use internet for visiting any boards).

If i'm on the right side of the grass, in 5 years time, I plan on giving away
one third of my assets to the 5 posters on this board that have been the kindest to me, and given me the most attention.

Best wishes, Jarhead

Back
Top Bottom