Who is working to be FI rather than FIRE?

I am shooting for Finanacial Independence. I am long past dreams of Early Retirement (I am 58 and anticipate working for the next four years--apologies to the group).

Objective: Survival for spouse and self.

Gypsy

BigMoneyJim said:
EDIT: If this works out well, I'm starting to wonder if job hopping every few years will become a habit. After a rough start it worked out well last time, and I tend to get bored with the same thing after a while. We'll see in 3-5 years. If any potential employers are reading this, I'm not talking about you. I'd love to work for your company until age 60-65 and take minimal annual raises and weak bonuses...your company is that precious to me.

That's been my MO. I've never stayed anywhere for more than 3 years, and it seems to be working OK. I think I am now in a well-matched spot: I've nevere stayed anywhere longer than 3 years and the company has no idea if the will even be in existance in 3 years.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
I suppose I could do a job again, just not that one or that type of one.  Something low aggravation with no customers, no managers, no profits and no problems.

I'd add for myself.......no responsibility for others!

I just RE today, well, at least for a couple of months before school starts. I wouldn't say it was the best decision from a purely financial point of view, but I have finally decided that the BS just isn't worth the money. All of my reasonable proposals were denied, so I figure, hey, if you the management want to look out only for your own interest, then I need to start looking out for mine. I simply don't see why I need to work my butt off until July, put my move and transition plans on hold, just so that I may or may not get my pension, so I bought myself two months of no-BS R&R and study time by leaving early. I just had a great 4-day weekend during which I helped a friend move, attended a family reunion, and emceed a wedding. I had a blast, and I didn't have worry whether I will have to get up early on Monday. Of course, I'll have to look for another job after school, but this current experience is good practice on how and when to walk out the door.

See this thread if you don't know know what I'm talking about:

http://early-retirement.org/forums/index.php?topic=7311.0

BunsOfVeal said:
I just RE today, well, at least for a couple of months before school starts. I wouldn't say it was the best decision from a purely financial point of view, but I have finally decided that the BS just isn't worth the money. All of my reasonable proposals were denied, so I figure, hey, if you the management want to look out only for your own interest, then I need to start looking out for mine. I simply don't see why I need to work my butt off until July, put my move and transition plans on hold, just so that I may or may not get my pension, so I bought myself two months of no-BS R&R and study time by leaving early. I just had a great 4-day weekend during which I helped a friend move, attended a family reunion, and emceed a wedding. I had a blast, and I didn't have worry whether I will have to get up early on Monday. Of course, I'll have to look for another job after school, but this current experience is good practice on how and when to walk out the door.

See this thread if you don't know know what I'm talking about:

http://early-retirement.org/forums/index.php?topic=7311.0

Good for you. I could kind of see that your employer was set on giving you a raw deal, so I am glad you just got out. I would suggest that you tilt your time more toward R&R and less toward study. There is a lot to be said for starting school refreshed.

brewer12345 said:
That's been my MO. I've never stayed anywhere for more than 3 years, and it seems to be working OK. I think I am now in a well-matched spot: I've nevere stayed anywhere longer than 3 years and the company has no idea if the will even be in existance in 3 years.

This is a good way to go about it especially in the finance industry where loyalty to your alumni group, friends, and contacts is more beneficial. A friend of mine gave himself a 100% increase in base pay by hopping 4 jobs in 5 years. Nobody gave him hell.

Back
Top Bottom