Will the "great reset" cause the masses to embrace FI(RE)?

But I quickly lost interest...as soon as the masses embraced him. They were intruders invading our space.
I'm a mass, Clancey. :D I heard "Cheeseburger" on the car radio in Florida 30 (?) years ago and that started us. We are going to see the show in Portland in Oct with a flock of parrot-heads we converted--friends and family.

Escapism doesn't come cheap these days.

I actually welcome an era in which FIREing is prevalent. It would mean that more people have ameliorated their wasteful consumption habits, more grandparents are there to co-raise the grandkids, there is more sharing/bartering, there would be a return to reading, and there would be more good old fashioned homegrown "stuff" (food, quilts, clothing, you know, how it USED to be...).

It's a stretch I know, but that's what I think it would be like.

Okay, so I am simply projecting *my* FIRE plans onto the world, lol.

I don't believe there has been any great reset. Corporate greed and consumer hedonism are too deeply ingrained our psyche. But it's interesting to ponder what would happen if the the goal of FIRE became really, really popular. I suppose spending would slow somewhat, our saviings rate would rise, and there would be even more discontent at work.

Be your own person. Take each experience for what its worth. I still feel the Changes in Latitude mindset when I hit Key West. No need to worry about what others may or may not do. - Still, maintain your assets

FIRE may not be available to the masses soon. Hard work, even in a well-paying job,will only get them tired, and heavily taxed, without much money left over, as prices rise and wages remain stagnant, or decline. Instead, they may opt for grifting and scamming to get an early retirement on the taxpayer dime. A snippet of overheard conversation from one of the masses might be : "Gee, I used to be so dispirited and bummed out when I was working all the time, but now that I am getting a huge disability check from the feds for my depression, and cheap health insurance from my state , funded by the tobacco settlement moneys, life is good once again. Thankyou Taxpayers and smokers ! Keep up the good work! Love you"

Beware the tipping point..........

FIRE may not be available to the masses soon. Hard work, even in a well-paying job,will only get them tired, and heavily taxed, without much money left over, as prices rise and wages remain stagnant, or decline. Instead, they may opt for grifting and scamming to get an early retirement on the taxpayer dime. A snippet of overheard conversation from one of the masses might be : "Gee, I used to be so dispirited and bummed out when I was working all the time, but now that I am getting a huge disability check from the feds for my depression, and cheap health insurance from my state , funded by the tobacco settlement moneys, life is good once again. Thankyou Taxpayers and smokers ! Keep up the good work! Love you"

Beware the tipping point..........

Though you may have it reversed.

"Gee, I used to be so dispirited and bummed out when I was working all the time, but now that I am getting a huge disability check from the feds for my depression, and cheap health insurance from my state..."

You also get Medicare when you're on Social Security Disability. I overheard someone the other day talking about going to "get [their] Disability payments turned back on."

I overheard part of a conversation at work a few weeks ago. The new 20-something girl at the front desk was complaining that her health insurance with Welfare was so much better than what she now has with our company. I didn't hang around too much longer, but I got the impression she is a "welfare-to-work" person who couldn't qualify for SSI once she got kicked off welfare. She had no apparent shame when talking about Welfare. I don't know her complete story, of course, and am prejudging her, I admit.
Often the Welfare folks just grift onto a different government program if they use up their 2 years of Welfare. Usually they grift onto SSI of some sort. I hear this from my gf who is a social worker.
Maybe state and feds are finally cracking down on the able-bodied freeby scammers. I hope so.

I overheard part of a conversation at work a few weeks ago. The new 20-something girl at the front desk was complaining that her health insurance with Welfare was so much better than what she now has with our company. I didn't hang around too much longer, but I got the impression she is a "welfare-to-work" person who couldn't qualify for SSI once she got kicked off welfare. She had no apparent shame when talking about Welfare. I don't know her complete story, of course, and am prejudging her, I admit.
Often the Welfare folks just grift onto a different government program if they use up their 2 years of Welfare. Usually they grift onto SSI of some sort. I hear this from my gf who is a social worker.
Maybe state and feds are finally cracking down on the able-bodied freeby scammers. I hope so.

I find your post insulting.

...Often the Welfare folks just grift onto a different government program if they use up their 2 years of Welfare. Usually they grift onto SSI of some sort. I hear this from my gf who is a social worker.

Your GF is in the wrong field.

Is that because social workers are supposed to enable this sort of thing?

It is only possible to think that this action is unusual if you have not had much contact with this group of people. Who knows how common or uncommon it is, but it is not rare.

Ha

Hello John - please could you kindly explain why your girlfriend - who is a social worker per your own post - feels that way towards "welfare folks" ? Thank you.

Is that because social workers are supposed to enable this sort of thing?

It is only possible to think that this action is unusual if you have not had much contact with this group of people. Who knows how common or uncommon it is, but it is not rare.

Ha

In case you missed what was offensive about the post, here are two examples. One is the implication that welfare recipients should feel shame. Another is the poster's reference to welfare recipients often grifting onto another program, usually grifting on to SSI. As per Merriam-Webster:

Definition of GRIFT

transitive verb
: to obtain (money) illicitly (as in a confidence game)

intransitive verb
: to acquire money or property illicitly

grift noun
grift·er noun

If his girlfriend feels that way I am glad she is not my niece's or my brother's social worker.

Last edited:
In case you missed what was offensive about the post, here are two examples. One is the implication that welfare recipients should feel shame. Another is the poster's reference to welfare recipients often grifting onto another program, usually grifting on to SSI. As per Merriam-Webster:

Definition of GRIFT

transitive verb
: to obtain (money) illicitly (as in a confidence game)

intransitive verb
: to acquire money or property illicitly

grift noun
grift·er noun

Martha, I so appreciate you help with definitions. :)

As a practical matter, the welfare state around the world is in retreat and will continue to be for a long time, because the world has run short of resources

Only benefits for the poor and the middle class will be cut, not welfare for the rich, since the rich will continue to get their very generous welfare since they can toke the politicians (of all parties) handsomely.

Ha

My sister is a social worker who deals primarily with mentally ill substance abusers who have run afoul of the justice system (in most cases due to their efforts to self mediate, I suspect). She has been doing this for a number of years and frankly I am amzed that she is not more numb/hardened/indifferent to the plight of the individuals she deals with. But I would not be shocked if there were a lot of people out there working in these jobs who did become pretty cynical after a while. Hard not to simply as a protective mechanism.

Wow! Didn't think I would offend or insult anyone anyone on this board with my post. It was perhaps a trenchantly worded post, I admit. And perhaps politically incorrect. But the truth is the truth. Lots of people game the Welfare / Disability system, with its many programs, for financial gain and to avoid working. Those of us who do not come into personal contact with this reality may choose to pretend it is not there.

Hello John - please could you kindly explain why your girlfriend - who is a social worker per your own post - feels that way towards "welfare folks" ? Thank you.

It's not a feeling, obgyn65, it's an observation on her part, that her clients, when taken off Welfare, simply apply for another sort of benefit, so that they can continue in their current lifestyles.

Wow! Didn't think I would offend or insult anyone anyone on this board with my post. It was perhaps a trenchantly worded post, I admit.

Actually, I was confused as to what people were getting insulted about on the post. I looked at it as not insulting, necessarily, but one of those ugly truths that nobody wants to talk about.

But then I've known (and am related to) a few people who have used the system to their advantage, so maybe that's why I've become desensitized to it. I realize not everybody who's on welfare is a scam artist, but there are enough people to milk the system that it perpetuates the stereotype. The majority of people who are on welfare probably truly ARE needy. Just as the majority of politicians probably truly ARE honest. Wait, bad analogy. ;-)

Actually, I was confused as to what people were getting insulted about on the post. I looked at it as not insulting, necessarily, but one of those ugly truths that nobody wants to talk about.
+1

Some welfare recipients are in desparate need, through no fault of their own.

Others deliberately game the system, and should indeed be ashamed of themselves.

The percentage falling into each category is pretty much impossible to gauge with any reliable accuracy ... and likely varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

Martha, I so appreciate you help with definitions. :)

As a practical matter, the welfare state around the world is in retreat and will continue to be for a long time, because the world has run short of resources

Only benefits for the poor and the middle class will be cut, not welfare for the rich, since the rich will continue to get their very generous welfare since they can toke the politicians (of all parties) handsomely.

Ha

Sorry, I came off as insulting to you as I know you know what grift means.

I've known many, first hand, who have scammed the system for years. No anecdotes here.

However, unless we as a society are ready to implement mandatory sterilization and/or removal of children from their parents, it will mostly be children who will suffer when we crack down on the scammers...

Back
Top Bottom