Young Dreamers Class

sengsational

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
It's $44, but if I were dipping my toe into FIRE for the first time, I'd consider this 4 hour Zoom class.
Financial Planning for Success and Significance in Retirement (LIFE007)
Most Americans fail to plan adequately for retirement. As a result, they often miss out on opportunities to enjoy the second half of life. Designed for people from age 50 to 65, this course covers how to handle investments; set safe spending rates; navigate retirement benefits, health care, and Social Security; organize estate planning; and manage generational financial planning. By the end of the course, participants will have developed an effective action plan to achieve their life goals.
It's only 4 hours of lectures, but will probably require more time doing homework. I'm sure there will be recommended readings. There's already one reading that I've read and actually went to a seminar held by the author: "The New Retirementality".

I'm not connected to the University of Virginia or to the instructors, and I'm not going to link to it. If you're interested, search the course title, perhaps adding "OLLI" (Osher Lifelong Learning Institute). The trick to getting in for only $44 is to get a free semester membership by calling OLLI (normally an additional $75).

I know that this might sound a bit like an advertisement, but I consider it more of a PSA; I have found that many of buddies, when they find out I retired 8 years ago, become young dreamers and ask me what they should do to get started if they've never really thought about early retirement. I'd say you probably couldn't go wrong with this kind of introduction. Full disclosure: The instructors are fee-only financial planners, so perhaps their motivation includes getting their name out to clients, but they're legit in my book (anti-fee, anti-complex annuity, etc), so they align with the principles that many of us on this board hold.

It's $44, but if I were dipping my toe into FIRE for the first time, I'd consider this 4 hour Zoom class.

It's only 4 hours of lectures, but will probably require more time doing homework. I'm sure there will be recommended readings. There's already one reading that I've read and actually went to a seminar held by the author: "The New Retirementality".

I'm not connected to the University of Virginia or to the instructors, and I'm not going to link to it. If you're interested, search the course title, perhaps adding "OLLI" (Osher Lifelong Learning Institute). The trick to getting in for only $44 is to get a free semester membership by calling OLLI (normally an additional $75).

I know that this might sound a bit like an advertisement, but I consider it more of a PSA; I have found that many of buddies, when they find out I retired 8 years ago, become young dreamers and ask me what they should do to get started if they've never really thought about early retirement. I'd say you probably couldn't go wrong with this kind of introduction. Full disclosure: The instructors are fee-only financial planners, so perhaps their motivation includes getting their name out to clients, but they're legit in my book (anti-fee, anti-complex annuity, etc), so they align with the principles that many of us on this board hold.
I have heard good feedback from friends regarding OLLI courses. But as you said, one or more of those paid financial advisors / lecturers may try to get their names / products out there via courses like these. Some red flags include:

specific financial product sale pitch
use debt as leverage in general
buy more books and seminars if you want to know more
you don't have to put effort into it.

I would be interested in knowing your after-class opinion.

Back
Top Bottom