Ban these 'fify' posts?

Maybe some folks have poor reading comprehension? ;) I included the smiley to be clear I'm just joking and not being snarky with that comment, I'm sure you funny folks 'get that' ;)

-ERD50
Like we can't all just reread your post #1 to see otherwise...:facepalm: :LOL:

I had a few of my posts adjusted by fify. They were truly funny and appreciated as good humor.

Life is too short to get wound up by good natured humor.

All I can say is some of my past posts were in desperate need of fixing.....

Last edited:
I'm with Johnnie, we'll all be okay with most of the good humor, and heck, considering the absolutely hilarious jokes I've been the butt of around here, I'm glad for the chance to get even (even if it maybe takes a while). I'm talking to you, REW and Michael, and your dang thermometer! <grin>

I'm with Johnnie, we'll all be okay with most of the good humor, and heck, considering the absolutely hilarious jokes I've been the butt of around here, I'm glad for the chance to get even (even if it maybe takes a while). I'm talking to you, REW and Michael, and your dang thermometer! <grin>
It helps if you have a taste for thermometer humor...

I also agree with this. For the record, I have never FIFYed anyone's posts. We also need to bear in mind that this website is quite informal, no harm done when posts are edited in a fun way.
I agree with ERD 50.THE idea that something like a strikout or an FIFY would be clear to everyone who might read it that it was an editorial having nothing to do with the quoted text is highly questionable. Everyone who might read these boards will not necessarily read the glossary of terms and acronyms.

Last edited:
However, I almost never like them, because quite often they are snarky.

+1

Much like paraphrasing, the FIFY function leaves me wondering why the commenting poster didn't simply say what he/she feels in his/her own words instead of twisting/changing/manipulating what the original poster said. Yes, there is something snarky or deceitful about manipulating what another has said to make your point. Better to just directly say what your point is.

Admittedly, a number of the FIFY posts are successfully humorous with no detected intention of being a back-handed dig at the original poster. Some are less successful.

Last edited:
Do ya feel good about that?

Groan.

Maybe we need a new forum rule against bad jokes ... :D

+1

Much like paraphrasing, the FIFY function leaves me wondering why the commenting poster didn't simply say what he/she feels in his/her own words instead of twisting/changing/manipulating what the original poster said. Yes, there is something snarky or deceitful about manipulating what another has said to make your point. Better to just directly say what your point is.

Admittedly, a number of the FIFY posts are successfully humorous with no detected intention of being a back-handed dig at the original poster. Some are less successful.

I agree. I would never do a "FIFY" and I recall the first time it was done to one of my posts I had to look up "FIFY" and learn what the heck it meant. I found it a bit snarky even if done in a friendly way. If I disagree with something, I come out and say it. If someone were to do a FIFY, I would prefer the original quote were left intact because otherwise I have to find the original quote which could be many posts back (even on a previous page) to see what the FIFY poster had changed it FROM.

I actually think the use of FIFY and the overstrike even within one's own post (which really slows down my comprehension of what the heck a post is about--am I supposed to read those overstruck sections?) is sort of a fad, although e-r.org may be late to the party as I don't see it used any more anywhere else, and will blow over soon. Who can't remember when LOL was all the rage.

[mod hat]Again, if a post is over the top snarky whether because it's a FIFY or just meanspirited, anyone can report it and the snarkiness will be addressed.[/mod hat]

It's rarely used for snark here, and what is unsuccessful humor to some people is fun to read for others and vice versa (whether it's a FIFY or just someone thinking they are being funny in their writing or what imho is the overuse of emoticons). It's almost always clear to me (not as a mod) when someone else's post has been quoted and FIFYed.

LOL :).

Last edited:
I enjoy the FIFYs. I will miss the humor if they are banned.

While I don't care for them usually, I wouldn't think they should be banned...should be looked at on a case by case basis if reported in my opinion (which is how it is done now I think)

While I don't care for them usually, I wouldn't think they should be banned...should be looked at on a case by case basis if reported in my opinion (which is how it is done now I think)
(mod hat on)
I think that's the intention. If one leaves the original quote in strikeout text the original context is still understood for the most part. Now if one is used in a way that is abusive, or intentionally makes the original author appear to have said something they didn't say, or if someone objects to how their quote was FIFY'd (for lack of a better term), these can always be reported individually and can be reviewed on a case by case basis.
(mod hat off)

(mod hat on)
I think that's the intention. If one leaves the original quote in strikeout text the original context is still understood for the most part. Now if one is used in a way that is abusive, or intentionally makes the original author appear to have said something they didn't say, or if someone objects to how their quote was FIFY'd (for lack of a better term), these can always be reported individually and can be reviewed on a case by case basis.
(mod hat off)

Sounds reasonable to me Zig. All joking aside, I understand why many folks wouldn't like having their messages messed with. Seems like most are OK with this if it's clear how the message has been "FIFY'd" and it's not done in a mean spirited or offensive manner.

otherwise I have to find the original quote which could be many posts back

Actually, you can just click on the little blue box with the arrow in it, next to the name of the person being quoted (see above - I just did it with your post), and it will take you directly to the original post. No hunting or searching required.

I had a few of my posts adjusted by fify. They were truly funny and appreciated as good humor.

Life is too short to get wound up by good natured humor.
+10

I think the FIFYs are funny.

The first time I saw "FIFY", I didn't recognize the acronym and thought the "FI" meant something else (not Financially Independent). ;)
I couldn't figure out 2 words for the "FY" part that would go along with my [-]gutter-minded[/-] interpretation of "FI".

I think this thread is a great example of why posters leave discussion boards.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom