Double spacing between paragraphs in posts? New?

Firefox is ignoring the flag fix suggested a year or so ago. I mentioned that future browser updates may change its usefulness.

What you see in my post now (an extra blank paragraph) is happening in Firefox 112.0 which I just updated to.

I don't use Firefox with the forum, so I checked my Message Editor Interface, which is set to a default Enhanced Interface. And I left it at the Enhanced setting.

As you see, when I hit the Enter (Return) key, this itty bitty edit box has an editor that takes over, and puts in an extra line break (br in the source). Where two breaks would suffice, it puts in three! What you are typing in the box is outside the control of the browser. When you preview your reply, and look at the page source (right-click on the page), you'll see the over-abundance of line breaks being inserted.

What you should also note is that your previewed reply is appearing in a table (in the html). If I use Shift + Enter twice, instead of Enter, I get the desired result.

Within the table, the forum editor is not allowing paragraphs (these are <p> in html. Instead it is using <br> only, which means a new line, and not paragraph.
I suppose the next troubleshooting step would be to change the forum editor setting, and try these experiments again.

Message Editor Interface
When posting messages to the forums or other members, there are three interface types available to you. The simplest of these is a simple text box, while the last is a fully-fledged WYSIWYG editor, which allows you to format your text as you want it and see the results immediately.

Depending upon the capabilities of your web browser, you may not be able to use all of these options. If you experience problems when posting messages, try switching to a different interface type.
Message Editor Interface:

Another test with Firefox 112.0.
Getting double spacing now?
Will remove this post if I get double spacing.
My PC runs Windows 10 (up to date)

EDIT: not removing this post as I don't see the problem mentioned by others.

I changed the Message Interface Editor to Standard.
Let's see what happens.
Are things satisfactory?

Above I used the Enter key once after line 1 and line 2. After the third line I used Enter key twice.

How are things with you?

Now I am back in my Brave browser, which is Chrome-based.
Just an Enter before this line.

And now two line breaks.
And just one.

And two. But we'll lose some edit features, probably, going from Enhanced to Standard...:cool:

I changed the Message Interface Editor to Standard.
Let's see what happens.
Are things satisfactory?

Above I used the Enter key once after line 1 and line 2. After the third line I used Enter key twice.

How are things with you?

Ahhh, I've been on Standard forever, I guess. I also use the ERv1.0 selection on the lower left corner.

-ERD50

Ahhh, I've been on Standard forever, I guess. I also use the ERv1.0 selection on the lower left corner.

-ERD50

OK, switched to 'enhanced' what is the difference? IS it WYSISYG for bold underline?

Ahh, yes, that's it. IIRC, it caused some other problems for me? I don't recall.

But what about the double lines? Here's 3 in a row, one 'enter'.
2nd
3rd - now 2 enters

and that's all. -ERD50

PS/edit - OK, so one enter is OK, but 2 enters doubles it up ? I dunno, weird, I''m going back to standard.

OK, I wasn't sure what this "Messaged Editor Interface" was.

So, for the record:
- Choose "User CP" from the options bar
- Choose "Edit Options" from the "Settings and Options" group on the left

I changed to standard and let's see if sanity is restored.

I'm going to assume this works, and if so, I give 2019 Thank Yous to "target2019", because target finally found a fix for me, which was testing my sanity, as many others were reporting no problem.

I don't think the change in editor style has much impact on me from what I can see right now, so I'm good with this. I see tags instead of wysiwig. Who cares? I was creating documents with tags since 1985. I can also drive a stick shift.:)

EDIT: that fixed it! 2019 times two thanks to target 2019.

IT WORKS!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom