Double spacing between paragraphs in posts? New?

I'm glad I'm not the only one. This is driving me crazy!

I've narrowed it down to firefox. Yet on another computer, firefox doesn't give me this bad behavior.

I did check a box at one time to get on firefox beta. Mistake, not just because of this, but because it updates every day. I heard the fix was to uninstall and reinstall. I'm going to try that now and see what kind of spacing I get.

OK. Let's see what we got.

I uninstalled 61.x. Just reinstalled with 60.0.1.

Here comes the moment of truth! <submit>

Well, dang. I give up. :(

Edit: per previous comments, looks to be firefox 60.x and up related. I saw this earlier since I've been on 60 a long time (and 61 too).

Last edited:
Well, dang. I give up. :(

Edit: per previous comments, looks to be firefox 60.x and up related. I saw this earlier since I've been on 60 a long time (and 61 too).

The frustration for me is that someone posted a 'fix', a simple pref setting. But the FF group apparently took that setting away, and locked us into this double spacing.

Seems there is usually some 'under the hood' method to get to prefs that are not in the UI.... OK, I'll go check some folders....

found it at <user>/.mozilla/firefox/<some_random_#_ID>.default/prefs.js

But I didn't find anything related to this (but did find one or two other defaults that I'll change (make print-to-file the default), so I learned something.

My searches have failed, there's a related issue in the Mozilla Thunderbird email client, and those questions swamp this out for me.

-ERD50

Help!

Help us please!

We are being double spaced into oblivion!

:

Help!

Help us please!

:

The 'funny' thing is, we now can often tell who is using FireFox! :)

Of course, I don't care! Not much consolation!

More seriously: Perhaps the admins here can put in a bug report to the Mozilla group. I would think bug reports from actual admins of large forums would carry more weight than some guy/gal on the Internet.

-ERD50

This is rather humorous to read. In some cases, in my firefox browser, I see no, 1, 2 and, in previous post maybe 5 or 6 empty lines.
With ancient HTML, it was not possible to have extra paragraphs, as the browser would remove any extras you added. With more advanced HTML and now browser influence, it appears you can be naughty with extra paragraphs.

Help!

Help us please!

:
I had to screen capture the underlying html producing that, as pasting it resulting it elimination of line breaks. You have three un-necessary line breaks. And a stylesheet I think adds even more space before each line.
What may also be happening is that you are copying and pasting invisible line breaks. Also, the forum editor has its own idea sometimes of how to format.

I admit, this is new behavior in Firefox. I looked for the setting to eliminate this, but have not been able to locate it.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    12.3 KB · Views: 13
I had to screen capture the underlying html producing that, as pasting it resulting it elimination of line breaks. You have three un-necessary line breaks. And a stylesheet I think adds even more space before each line.
What may also be happening is that you are copying and pasting invisible line breaks. Also, the forum editor has its own idea sometimes of how to format.

I admit, this is new behavior in Firefox. I looked for the setting to eliminate this, but have not been able to locate it.
In forum options, try dropping back to standard editor, meaning no WYSIWYG. A new paragraph is below.
In forum options, try dropping back to standard editor, meaning no WYSIWYG. A new paragraph is below.
In forum options, try dropping back to standard editor, meaning no WYSIWYG.

Ok, discovered another thing you can do with Firefox, if you want to keep the WYSIWYG editor (meaning don't drop to the standard option in forum).
- go to about:config
- search for editor.use_div_for_default_newlines
- double-click the line to change it to false
Everything above is typed on a line, with enter key pressed at the end.
Say it:
No
Extra
Line
Breaks.

OK, tried:

What do we get!?

Edit: hmmm. looks promising.

Should be one line above.

Edit2: Oh darn, I'm on the computer that works, which has 59.0.3 version of firefox. Nevermind. This is <edit>.

Last edited:
Ok, discovered another thing you can do with Firefox, if you want to keep the WYSIWYG editor (meaning don't drop to the standard option in forum).
Say it:
No
Extra
Line
Breaks.

Ahhh, I did look in prefs, didn;t know what to lok for in about:config. So let's see... (I'll attempt one line space between this and the next paragraph).

And now I'm typing a new line, should be one line between this and above paragraph.

And now I'm typing a new line, should be one line between this and above paragraph.

-ERD50

edit - hmmm, a mix?

Try again, one line space in each...

Aaaaa

Bbbbb

Ccccc

Ddddd

I did some copy/paste editing in the previous post, I might have grabbed a LF with my copy?

-ERD50

OK, I think that's it.

Is it?

Another one.

And another.

One for the road (no longer politically correct, is it?).

And I'm out.

-ERD50

Say it:
No
Extra
Line
Breaks.

That did it! Thanks!

Of course now, my 'warranty' on FireFox is void! Hah, I though that was pretty funny of them.

-ERD50

One for the road (no longer politically correct, is it?).
Maybe 5 for the road? :)

I need to try the computer with 60.x later...

Thanks for the discussion here - had the same issue with Firefox (60.0.1 as of now).

I've had double spacing after quoting articles and had to edit out the spaces. Regular posts seem fine.
I’ve noticed same for more than a year, but only when quoting. It doesn’t happen often for me, and when it does I can edit and remove the double spacing. I use Firefox and Safari, so it could be Firefox related in my case (hadn’t noticed).

In Firefox, you can select the posted article (click and drag through), and right click, then View Selected Source. You'll have a better idea of how things work behind any given post/page.
Since this extra <br> is handled by browser and forum editor, at any given time it can behave in ways you didn't expect. The extra line break is probably annoying to some, but not others.
There also can be unseen codes picked up when someone responds. Again, View Selected Source (after posting), and you can probably figure out what caused it. Maybe someone pasted from another source?

I’ve noticed same for more than a year, but only when quoting. It doesn’t happen often for me, and when it does I can edit and remove the double spacing. I use Firefox and Safari, so it could be Firefox related in my case (hadn’t noticed).

I got double space-itis now both when quoting and not :facepalm:. Yes, I am on Firefox.

I got double space-itis now both when quoting and not :facepalm:. Yes, I am on Firefox.
Whoops, just noticed I've been afflicted too, not just some quotes like before. The guidance in post #36 worked for me, thanks. That won't change how FF behaves with other apps/websites? In which case I'll just switch back to "true."
This is a test.
And another.
And another.

Last edited:
Whoops, just noticed I've been afflicted too, not just some quotes like before. The guidance in post #36 worked for me, thanks. That won't change how FF behaves with other apps/websites? In which case I'll just switch back to "true."
This is a test.
And another.
And another.

Will this work?
Testing 1
Testing 2
Testing 3
Fingers crossed for good measure :cool:.

Looks good!! Thanks, as the double space-itis was driving me bonkers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom