Had not been able to access forum for days..

sheehs1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Wondered if anyone else had this problem. Had been trying to get on for the last 3 or 4 days and have been unable to do so. Tonight is the first time and boy am I relieved! I am still seeing some "? marks in some data fields.

Wow! I'm glad you were able to get back here. Sounds like whatever the problem was, it is better now.

Thanks W2R2...I am too. Strangest thing. I thought the site was down or someone hijacked the url. At one point today, it told me the certificate wasn't valid. Then I wondered if one of the internet backbones had issues but since I wasn't having problems with anything else...didn't think that was it.

I was like..."oh no..how am I going to find everyone..!" I really enjoy this forum!

and the "edit" button on recent posts is gone. At least from my end.

That is so weird and sounds awful to experience. I wonder if it might be a problem with your internet connection speed or local internet. I am not having those problems here right now, although a couple of times last week it seemed like the site was slow to respond. For me it wasn't slow enough to get an error message, though.

No issues here.

Have you gone through the standard troubleshooting stuff (clear cache, try a different browser, try a different computer, try from the same computer but different Internet connection, if possible, etc. etc.)?

I cleared my cache..and did some of the basics...but did not change browsers or computers. I'm on a Mac. Was not having a problem getting on any other site or with the speeds on my internet accessing other sites. Even placed some Christmas orders. Only had problems with this site. Everything seems fine now. Next time it happens I will troubleshoot more.

I'm sorry you had such trouble but am not aware that we had any problems at the site end. :)

I could not get on a few days ago, for about 36 hours from I think Monday morning through Tuesday night. This was the only site that I couldn't get to. Same thing had also happened a week earlier for about a day.

Could be a bad node somewhere, through which your bits travel.

Another idea is the DNS in your computer system, browser cache and also in the router cache. If you power down all equipment, that clears up a lot of access problems.

I haven't had any problems with accessing this site recently. However
I have had similar problems using ingdirect's automated phone line.
The problem reminds me of OP's........I never have any problem using
any other firm's automated phone line. I am also quite sure (no data)
that some folks would say they never have problem using ingdirect's
phone lines. Assuming you believe all the data, the only thing I can
think of that would explain it, is that both parties(equipment) are partially responsible somehow but only the combination (AND) produces the problem
or the tendency for the problem. With ingdirect, I don't always have the problem but always have the tendency to have the problem......not a robust system. I have no idea on the detailed reasons for that problem .

Started having the same issues again this morning. Tried it on my husbands laptop. No issues. Am thinking it is my MAC. Apple always sends OS upgrades . Last week I allowed it to update. Just wanted to let you guys know. Issues with my Mac. No issues with Windows pc. Same network, same router...etc. The only variable is the laptop and operating system and web brower.

Started having the same issues again this morning. Tried it on my husbands laptop. No issues. Am thinking it is my MAC. Apple always sends OS upgrades . Last week I allowed it to update. Just wanted to let you guys know. Issues with my Mac. No issues with Windows pc. Same network, same router...etc. The only variable is the laptop and operating system and web brower.

That's better, you've got it narrowed down.

I would try clearing the caches again, then shutting down and restarting everything. A couple times, I've had some really odd things with this site, and though I was skeptical, clearing the cache cleaned it up.

Backing up pref files and trashing them sometimes fixes some oddball things - the pref files will be rebuilt (but some settings will be gone also). I'm not on a Mac much anymore, so maybe search the apple forums for tips on how exactly to do that if you are not sure.

I'm guessing that will all these little icon buttons and such on these pages, and the fact that I open/close many of the windows/tabs in this forum, that a lot of caching goes on. So if one of those files gets corrupted, it seems to throw a wrench (a highly technical software term) into the works.

-ERD50

Thanks ERD50. On husbands computer right now. Cleared caches multiple times, shut down multiple times, verified and repaired disk permissions...and still have problems accessing with MAC. Perhaps it will sort itself out...as it did before. Often we don't know what those wrenches are :). Kind of like I used to say when working on software projects, "it went to Software Heaven". This one has me a bit stumped since my Mac is not having issues with any other sites but as you say, there are a lot of icons, graphics and ads. Will search around Apple.com. They wanted $49.00 for a one time consult this morning. Did not want to do that since there was very little concrete info I could give, far too many variables and is more of an annoyance until I can get it figured out. (or until the next software update :).

Thanks ERD50. On husbands computer right now. Cleared caches multiple times, shut down multiple times, verified and repaired disk permissions...and still have problems accessing with MAC. Perhaps it will sort itself out...as it did before. Often we don't know what those wrenches are :). Kind of like I used to say when working on software projects, "it went to Software Heaven". This one has me a bit stumped since my Mac is not having issues with any other sites but as you say, there are a lot of icons, graphics and ads. Will search around Apple.com. They wanted $49.00 for a one time consult this morning. Did not want to do that since there was very little concrete info I could give, far too many variables and is more of an annoyance until I can get it figured out. (or until the next software update :).
What browser? Install a different one and try the site.
Could be some wacky certificate problem. Uninstall and reinstall the browser?

no problems on a Macbook (knock, knock) using Chrome

target2019 , browser is Safari. I think 'll down load Firefox. Kaneohe..if that doesn't work I'll try Chrome.
Minutes pass...on trying to get one of the pages loaded. I'm on my Mac now...but the loading is extremely slow. Not so for every other site I'm on.
If I don't have the problem with Firefox then I'll know it is Safari...probably corrupt file.

Well...I just downloaded Firefox and do not seem to be having the same issues. So it must be Safari. umm. Will probably uninstall and reinstall Safari...just to see.

Well...I just downloaded Firefox and do not seem to be having the same issues. So it must be Safari. umm. Will probably uninstall and reinstall Safari...just to see.
Safari can be problematic. Have tons of problems with it on iPhone and Google News, and these just cropped up recently. From time to time it acts up on older Macbook when going to Yahoo Mail.

Hi target 2019. I have a MacBookPro that is not even a year old. While Firefox is better than Safari...page loading is still not as fast as it used to be and neither Safari or Firefox are as fast on this site as they both are on the other sites I go to. When I have the time I will continue to play with it, investigate it...etc. First time this has happened so ..something has changed. Just don't know what yet.

Last edited:
Hi target 2019. I have a MacBookPro that is not even a year old. While Firefox is better than Safari...page loading is still not as fast as it used to be and neither Safari or Firefox are as fast on this site as they both are on the other sites I go to. When I have the time I will continue to play with it, investigate it...etc. First time this has happened so ..something has changed. Just don't know what yet.

If you have not got around to trashing the pref files for Safari, I would suggest an un-install/re-install. It's doubtful (but not impossible) that the any safari update would have led to a bug specific to this site. Something's corrupted.

-ERD50

I guess what I don't understand is the generally asymmetric nature ot this problem. A says I have trouble with this site. Others say we have no troubles with this site. Conclusion: A, it's your fault.

But A also said I have no problems with other sites. Why is there no conclusion that perhaps something could be improved by the site?

I have experienced similar problems elsewhere. I previously gave the automated phone example with ingdirect. I also have experienced something similar at work where vendor A's material worked on all tiers of my reactor but vendor B's material only worked on the top but not on the bottom. Whose fault? Obviously my responsibility to make my process more forgiving so both tiers worked but isn't there something lacking in B's material also.

In the real world of course, it depends on who is more desperate to fix the problem, how well each party understands what they can do to fix their part, how much each fix costs, how easy it is to implement the fix,etc.
Probably the hardest is to convince the other side that they have a role esp. if you are the only complaining .

I guess what I don't understand is the generally asymmetric nature ot this problem. A says I have trouble with this site. Others say we have no troubles with this site. Conclusion: A, it's your fault.

But A also said I have no problems with other sites. Why is there no conclusion that perhaps something could be improved by the site?

I have experienced similar problems elsewhere. I previously gave the automated phone example with ingdirect. I also have experienced something similar at work where vendor A's material worked on all tiers of my reactor but vendor B's material only worked on the top but not on the bottom. Whose fault? Obviously my responsibility to make my process more forgiving so both tiers worked but isn't there something lacking in B's material also.

In the real world of course, it depends on who is more desperate to fix the problem, how well each party understands what they can do to fix their part, how much each fix costs, how easy it is to implement the fix,etc.
Probably the hardest is to convince the other side that they have a role esp. if you are the only complaining .

It isn't necessarily that complex at all.

I've had problems with this site, when others have not, and I found that the problem was on my end in several cases.

To put it in your terms, it can be an interaction with a problem on A and this site. B does not have that problem, so no problem on any site. But that does not make the site at fault, just that the problem is site specific (like a corrupt cache for an item from that site).

If you read a bunch of threads, that is a lot of page loads. Your browser will cache the common elements (and there are a lot of them - all those 'thanks' 'submit', edit' buttons, etc). It happens sometimes that the cache gets corrupt. Clearing the cache has fixed several problems for me.

Try the simple first. Clear cache, maybe uninstall/re-install the browser - could be something hidden away more deeply.

OTOH, is the mail function still having a problem with certain ISPs or address names? I am still routing them to my gmail address, as it suddenly didn't seem to like the one I use with my ISP. The admins acknowledged a change in their email service. So in this case, the problem was/is on the site end, but it is still specific to something on my end, as many others had no problem, and I didn't have the problem when I moved to gmail for this.

After that change on my end, I was having problems with duplicates of old post notifications that kept showing up, though I kept trashing them. I found it had something to do with the fact that I had a rule set to move the ER.org emails to another folder in my local mail reader. This somehow messed up the google mail, and I guess it thought it never sent them, and resent them to me? I'm still investigating that, but when I disabled that rule, the dups stopped.

Probably the hardest is to convince the other side that they have a role esp. if you are the only complaining.

And they also can't 'fix' a 'problem' that does not exist on their end. What can they do if your cache is corrupt, or your installation has gone south? Nothing but what we are telling you, clear the cache, install/re-install.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Still wondering if it is browser related. Firefox has the same issues. Not having any problem on any other site with either browser. Having the same problem Dave is having with the question marks instead of the buttons and avatars. Will follow his thread also. I turned off the ad blocker, have emptied my cache numerous times...etc. The first question is why this site and no other. The analyst in me says if it was my browser, router or internet connection, I should have the same problem on multiple sites. I'm not . ummm......

Just another piece of info. During the time when I could not get any access...I also did not receive any emails in my inbox from the threads I had subscribed to. I am getting those now. In hind site...I don't know if it was that I could not get access to the site....or if it was that it was so very slow...that I got out of it. That seems to be what is happening now. Takes a long time.

Back
Top Bottom