I have increased my hand strength

harllee

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am a 72 year old female. I have never had great hand strength, I used to have to ask my husband to open jars, etc for me or use some sort of mechanical jar opener. All that has changed. Now I can open most any jar, bottle etc with no problem. What has changed? Only thing I can figure is that for the last 4 months I have been going to a class at my CCRC fitness center called "Strong and Limber" 3 days a week. It is an hour class that involves some stretching and about 45 minutes of all sorts of hand weight exercise. I started out using 5 pound weights and now I use 8 pound weights. I do feel stronger over all, I can get up off the floor easier, etc. But the increase in my hand strength has been almost unbelievable.

At my annual physical they use a grip strength measuring device (dynamometer), and I have read that it's a good indicator of overall fitness.

Sounds like something I most desperately need. . . . any tips which exercise I should try?

Sounds like something I most desperately need. . . . any tips which exercise I should try?

At my class we do a lot of leg exercises like squats while holding dumbbells, shoulder exercises while holding dumb bells , curls and hammer curls, all using the hand weights or a kettle bell. We also do floor exercises such as planks and push ups (I started out not being able to do push ups at all but now I can do about 10 at a time). We don't do any specific hand exercises but I think that just holding 8 pound dumbbells in my hands for almost the entirety of my class has helped increase my hand strength. Prior to starting this class I had what I called "flabby granny arms" but now my arms look muscular. My husband says I should challenge some of the old geezers here at the CCRC to arm wrestling.

At my class we do a lot of leg exercises like squats while holding dumbbells, shoulder exercises while holding dumb bells , curls and hammer curls, all using the hand weights or a kettle bell. We also do floor exercises such as planks and push ups (I started out not being able to do push ups at all but now I can do about 10 at a time). We don't do any specific hand exercises but I think that just holding 8 pound dumbbells in my hands for almost the entirety of my class has helped increase my hand strength. Prior to starting this class I had what I called "flabby granny arms" but now my arms look muscular. My husband says I should challenge some of the old geezers here at the CCRC to arm wrestling.

LOL

Harlee,

How fantastic that you have found a convenient supportive exercise community that motivates you to consistently show up! While some people are fine with access to similar equipment and online instruction, in-person instruction works better for others.

Also for many, if it's not on their schedule or if there is no accountability to others, they'll allow other activities to take precedence. I love that you decided your self-maintenance is important. Just like the airplane safety demonstrations, put the oxygen mask on yourself first before helping others!

High five!

That is great. I definitely need to increase all of my muscle strength. I have to ask my DH to open the majority of things.

I am having a small operation this week and after a 4-6 recuperation, I am going to get started strength training.

Your CCRC sounds so wonderful for both you and your spouse. So happy for you.

What has changed? Only thing I can figure is that for the last 4 months I have been going to a class at my CCRC fitness center called "Strong and Limber" 3 days a week.
That'll do it. Maybe look into heavier weights too!

That'll do it. Maybe look into heavier weights too!

Yes, I am trying to increase my weights by a pound every month. But it is very exhausting to lift weights for 45 minutes.

I had hoped this class would increase my overall strength, but this hand strength thing has been an unexpected bonus.

Yes, I am trying to increase my weights by a pound every month. But it is very exhausting to lift weights for 45 minutes.

I had hoped this class would increase my overall strength, but this hand strength thing has been an unexpected bonus.

If you're interested, you'll find research shows that, yes, 45 minutes of small weights has diminishing returns. You aren't going to get very strong with 8lbs if you do 100 reps. Don't get me wrong, it's good stuff, and you are still gaining benefits of exercise, and it's better than basic cardio.

But if you do less reps with higher weights, and add weight every week, then you will get stronger. Maybe talk with your gym instructor about your goals and see what they can recommend?

If you're interested, you'll find research shows that, yes, 45 minutes of small weights has diminishing returns. You aren't going to get very strong with 8lbs if you do 100 reps. Don't get me wrong, it's good stuff, and you are still gaining benefits of exercise, and it's better than basic cardio.

But if you do less reps with higher weights, and add weight every week, then you will get stronger. Maybe talk with your gym instructor about your goals and see what they can recommend?

I would never do all this without the class. My DH and I both take the class together and have developed many friends in the class so I think I will stick to the class. The class is 3 days a week. On the other 4 days I do yoga and dance classes. At age 72 I just want to be healthy, have strong bones, be able to avoid falls, get up off the floor and have fun. Being able to open jars and bottles is just an added bonus.

At my annual physical they use a grip strength measuring device (dynamometer), and I have read that it's a good indicator of overall fitness.

Yes, and that's very strange to me. I always hit the next to best grip strength even though the rest of my body has pretty much gone to pot (no, not THAT pot:cool:) due to back issues. I was told grip strength is even somewhat predictive of mental fitness. I hope that is true. I'd much rather be mentally fit than physically fit. Heh, heh, now I can hire a strong kid to do my physical tasks if need be. I just can't hire a kid to do my planning, recollection, thinking for me.

Congratulations to OP for finding a good CCRC that looks after the needs of its member residents. Fantastic.:)

Congrats Harlee. You might like the book, "Outlive: The Science and Art of Longevity," by Peter Attia, MD. He asserts that exercise is by far the best Rx for a decent old age. He also points out that grip strength is a very good indicator of overall strength. We all lose muscle as we age, and the process can be very quick. I have added grip springs to my routine - primarily to open cans as you mentioned. I am also happy to note that at 75 years old I am up to 10 pullups. Well, maybe eight with decent form ;)

Last edited:
Congrats Harlee. You might like the book, "Outlive: The Science and Art of Longevity," by Peter Attia, MD. He asserts that exercise is by far the best Rx for a decent old age. He also points out that grip strength is a very good indicator of overall strength. We all lose muscle as we age, and the process can be very quick. I have added grip springs to my routine - primarily to open cans as you mentioned. I am also happy to note that at 75 years old I am up to 10 pullups. Well, maybe eight with decent form ;)

I have read that book, it is one of the reasons I signed up for the Strong and Limber class. By the way, the class is at 8 am and is always full, you have to reserve a space ahead of time.

Back
Top Bottom