Ignore list?

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/nm-18796.html

He deleted the original post and the original login back when you could do such a thing. A fine example of the problems with 'free editing forever'.

The OP basically told us that we should all buy farmed fish, that it tasted better than wild, and that you were stupid if you didnt agree.

As a fisherman and card carrying member of many anglers groups, it was probably some lame attempt to get people to stop overfishing the wild varieties so there'd be more potential catches for hobby fishermen.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/nm-18796.html

He deleted the original post and the original login back when you could do such a thing. A fine example of the problems with 'free editing forever'.

The OP basically told us that we should all buy farmed fish, that it tasted better than wild, and that you were stupid if you didnt agree.

As a fisherman and card carrying member of many anglers groups, it was probably some lame attempt to get people to stop overfishing the wild varieties so there'd be more potential catches for hobby fishermen.
a minor thing....also he was a moderator.

yeah, he was really mean to me...

Can someone post a link to that thread? CT knows more about fish than the next 50 of us, it doesn't ring true to me that he claimed that farmed fish was equal to wild.

He eats fish right out of the river in AK for heaven's sake!

Ha

I have a serious request!

Why not add a "Rant" sub forum (under General)? Kinda like a sound-proof room where people can get their political (and other) ranting ( diatribe )out of their system.

Most people who have posted here (including myself) have shown the worst of their behavior at one time or another. For that matter, some of the most prolific posters (that are criticizing here) slide into personal attacks and name calling on a regular basis. If someone is seriously contributing to the body of knowledge (and opinion)... why shun them if they have a moment?

There is a little bit of an interesting phenomenon going on here. It seems that the ignore list is "used to do just that" in a private way. To air your personal view (ax to grind) publicly seems a little manipulative.

Note - I am not talking about dealing with a real Troll. This term has been painted on a few people who simply have differing (or strong) opinions. It is sometimes used as a form of manipulation to shame someone into conforming with others opinions. I think that most would agree that a real troll has no such social inclinations to be manipulated.

If a Rant forum is created... I will bet that most everyone that has posted here will make a regular stop just to see what the latest flap is about!

Sorry for the Rant!

Last edited:
I'm not seeing the advantage. A rant forum would seem to encourage more ranting, and in my experience that just gets other people worked up and often spills over to the rest of the board.

I agree w/BigMoneyJim.. plus what looks like a rant to one person is an impassioned debate to another. Anything to do with money has the possibility of raising questions about politics, so it's just best to let these bubbles form and pop naturally. Even threads about fishing or cars can get political.. you just never know in advance where anything will lead. (Which, to me, is the fun part.)

There's only a minority of consistent ranters and a minority that are consistently offended by them; the rest of the board seems to have a pretty good sense of perspective, proportion and relative tolerance.

There's only a minority of consistent ranters and a minority that are consistently offended by them; the rest of the board seems to have a pretty good sense of perspective, proportion and relative tolerance.

I see it this way also. Who cares if someone rants? Everywhere I go some crazy is ranting on the street. I would prefer than they not, because I never know when they will escalate beyond ranting.

But on the internet? Even with all the IP sleuths around here I really don't think we have much to worry about. ;)

Ha

One is not required to "rise to the bait". I say let them rant and ignore them.

I can see the point. A Rant forum might encourage bad behavior. I guess the word "Rant" does not really convey what I meant (i.e., semantics). One of the things about communicating in written text (often fragments of thought) is that it leave much open to misinterpretation (and the lack of back and forth immediate refinement of the meaning of the words communicated) which is part of the problem.

Perhaps a Debate forum (or pick any acceptable name).

It seems to me that at one time or another people have some sort of ax to grind about an issue. It often gets dumped into Other or one of the FIRE forums. If there was a forum where people could post those more controversial (Opinion heavy, sometime emotional) topics... people could enter at their own risk (so to speak)!

Anyway, the general notion was to get the "Rants" out of the other forums. Not to create an "enter and be abused" forum! ;)

I've never really had a problem with that, but I don't recall someone posting as two different identities simultaneously being tolerated for very long, especially if they converse with themselves in the same threads.

Sorry for the additional post... but I did not read most of this thread and have been looking back at some posts.

This comment is interesting. If I get the idea... One may use to accounts to post as two different people for a variety of reasons... Possibly to show support for their idea or some such nonsense?

Sad, Sad , Sad. Carrying on a conversation with oneself is a little silly. I am sure it is to confuse or manipulate someone!

Unfortunately, the anonymity of these forums emboldens people to do things they might not otherwise do in person.

Which is why we should all exercise Caveat Utilitor on all information considered for use from this forum (or any other source).

My impression is that most people that are in here for any period of time are good peeps. There are a few people just looking to shake things up... they probably move on quickly.

I think the basic problem of off-topic/political/religious/jackass posting is that it rubs people the wrong way and can lead to shorter tempers and reduced contribution in subsequently viewed on-topic posts.

Its also possible that people who duke it out over some ridiculous issue will hold a grudge and take it out on each other for some time thereafter.

I'm thinking of a half dozen or so posters...really valuable people...who quit the board because they got tired of the off topic stuff. Lets look at Charlie for example. Great poster. Actual retiree living off his investments. Always good advice. Got sick of the political posts and quit.

We could debate skin thickness all we want, but the bottom line is everyone has skin.

So who would you rather have, Charlie or some guy with a megaphone that only spews out off topic crap?

Good advice on not taking the bait, Gumby and I would rather have mostly positive posters, too...I think that there is always the newer poster that posts 5-7 messages a day and burns themselves out....since few will interact with them......I categorize them as trolls also, since they aren’t interested in social interaction....Final stop is usually the same, a passive-aggressive final post telling us all how "we wont have him to kick around anymore":p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom