Quoting multiple posts on a reply

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I know this is possible, since several posters have done this. If I want to reply to several posts in a single post, how can I quote multiple posts from different posters in my reply?

Last edited:
One way is to open each quote into a separate tab, copy it and paste in your "reply to" window along with your response. If you use a word processor, you can copy and paste them into a word document, organize, edit and respond, and once finished, copy the entire thing and paste it in the "reply to" window.

MichaelB:

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try that.

An easy way is to click the "Multi" button on each post you want to quote, then click the "Quote" button on one of them. All the selected posts you want to quote will be preloaded in your reply.

One request, though:
Please edit the quotes to remove everything except the portion you are replying to. Excessive quoting (like the entire original post) is very annoying to some of us.

An easy way is to click the "Multi" button on each post you want to quote, then click the "Quote" button on one of them. All the selected posts you want to quote will be preloaded in your reply..

Thanks. I never realized that's what that button did.

MichaelB:

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try that.

An easy way is to click the "Multi" button on each post you want to quote, then click the "Quote" button on one of them. All the selected posts you want to quote will be preloaded in your reply.

One request, though:
Please edit the quotes to remove everything except the portion you are replying to. Excessive quoting (like the entire original post) is very annoying to some of us.

Thanks, I've always wondered how to do that !

..and another suggestion, it's not a biggie but some forum experts tend to agree and abide by it, is that if post is directly above yours, no need to quote it.

One request, though:
Go figure. I never gave any thought to that function. It is much easier to use. :)

Story of my life. I used to be a technical writer (documentation for software), so I'm painfully well aware that nobody ever reads instruction manuals. :LOL:

Count me in as another one who never even thought about what that button might mean. And I'm usually the one who tells people "RTFM"...

Story of my life. I used to be a technical writer (documentation for software), so I'm painfully well aware that nobody ever reads instruction manuals. :LOL:

I must be an outlier then. I actually do read them. I miss the big thick books that explained every button in software. Now if you're lucky it's in a pdf on the cd but usually one has to go hunt it down on the web site.

(Just adding something here, pretending I'm responding to the quote above--I want to see what it all looks like).

Thanks, I've always wondered how to do that !

Wow, it really works. (However, I do recall that this question has been asked and answered several times before--I just was too lazy to print out the directions). Not this time. Old dog, new trick.

Last edited:
OK, so we now all know how the Multi+ works.

So, I guess it's OK to another question: REWahoo ( I think it was him) gave instructions on how to print out an entire thread. (I didn't print out his response--but if you tell me, I will print out your response). Thank you.

Last edited:
You can also click the "multi-" button on each post and then click the "post reply" button at the bottom of the thread and all the selected posts will load in your post.

So, I guess it's OK to another question: REWahoo ( I think it was him) gave instructions on how to print out an entire thread. (I didn't print out his response--but if you tell me, I will print out your response). Thank you.

You can also click the "multi-" button on each post and then click the "post reply" button at the bottom of the thread and all the selected posts will load in your post.

Whoops, guess we are not done with the multiple quote thing.

Last edited:

Oh. In that case I'd like to extend my most sincere apologies for all the things I said about you and your peers in the past.

No apology necessary (or appropriate :D )
We owe you a lot, simply for putting up with it all.

I would sometimes get a half-finished application a week before it shipped, and be told to have a user's guide ready to put in the box with the disk.

My all-time favorite was the application that needed only about 30 pages to completely explain its functionality and give loads of examples of how to use it. I had worked closely with the developers, and all was ready on time.
Then the marketing guy surprised everyone when a truck delivered the 3 inch thick, hard looseleaf binders for the manuals that would go in the box with the disk. He thought that since we would be selling the software for a very high price, the documentation ought to be equally impressive, so he ordered the expensive custom binders on his own :face palm:

The boss told me to just change everything to a 24-point font, make it all triple-spaced, print just one side of each page, and use very heavy weight paper.

Needless to say, that company didn't last much longer.

Until a customer discovers an error in it, of course. I used to joke about that with tech writers when I used to be Tech Support's representative on product team meetings. That and how the Marketing folks never cared about the reaction of Support and Development when they started pushing for technically ridiculous new features and enhancements.

One request, though:

That button never worked for me. Maybe it's a Mac thing. I always did it manually like in the first reply.

this_page_intentionally_left_blank1.jpg

That button never worked for me. Maybe it's a Mac thing. I always did it manually like in the first reply.

I always did it manually as well, but I just tested the multi-quote and it seems to work ok on Safari.

At the top of the thread is a tab that says "thread tools" click on the down arrow beside it and you'll get a drop down menu. Select "show printable version".

Audreyh1, I'm on a PC not Mac and multi works for me. I just don't use the quote button like the other poster. Don't know if it works in "Quick Reply". I use the "post reply" at bottom of thread.

Last edited:

If I may ask another quote-related question, what is the purpose of fully quoting a lengthy multi-paragraph post directly above your own (especially if it is the original post and you are the first respondent). Do OPs and others frequently delete or edit their posts after the discussion turns on them? (I haven 't noticed this.)

The purpose is to demonstrate that you're a newbie to online forums. :D

Back
Top Bottom