Report software quirks here

Looks like Samclem edited the post to add the other paragraphs. You probably hit the quote button while he was doing this.
Yep, sorry. I was busy "revising and extending my remarks."
For whatever reason, my spellchecker (in Firefox) doesn't always catch typos when I am making a new post. When I submit the post and go back to the thread, the typos are identified. So, I sometimes re-open the post to fix it. Well, heck, while I'm there another thought occurs to me, and the typing begins . . .So, I'm, blaming Firefox for all of this.

Yep, sorry. I was busy "revising and extending my remarks."
For whatever reason, my spellchecker (in Firefox) doesn't always catch typos when I am making a new post. When I submit the post and go back to the thread, the typos are identified. So, I sometimes re-open the post to fix it. Well, heck, while I'm there another thought occurs to me, and the typing begins . . .So, I'm, blaming Firefox for all of this.
You can't do this with the "preview post" button?

If just finished posting a message using the quick reply box and then immediately go to edit my message, the row of buttons below the edit box doesn't show a submit, save, or send button. It shows a vote button which does the same thing as saving the edit.

Thanks for the report - can you tell me what browser (and version) you are using?

After some digging, we are finding reports of similar issues with both safari and chrome browsers on vbulletin forums. Still looking for a solution....

Just a few minutes ago while I was online, the screen froze. When I clicked my back button, the only thing that showed was the information above the "blue bar"...underneath there was just a blank screen.

When I clicked on portal, forums, etc...I still had the blank page. I tried AT&T yahoo and Internet Explorer...they both showed the same strange page. I know it's not a problem with my computer as I was able to bring up other sites.

See, I think you've found one of those free features! Lucky girl!

See, I think you've found one of those free features! Lucky girl!
Yep...I'm the lucky one. :flowers:

I did get a bit of a thrill when I wrote the word "froze"...considering it's 102 here. Ahh...but that's another thread....

Just got a new desktop. Gave the computer guru a list of everything I wanted to save and he put all that stuff onto the new computer. He built the computer and it has WindowsXP which I wanted. Now it seems like some things are difficult fo find. Ex: When I used to write a letter, there was a block off to the left side where I could address envelopes, send it to the printer and print the envelope. You think I can find it now? No way. Searched everywhere. I've already called him on a couple problems which he told me how to solve over the phone. Don't want to call him again on something that may be very simple. Any hints?

test.
had invalid security certificate message when attempting to post a quick reply.

working now - maybe restarting did the trick, maybe an admin did an insta-cure. Thanks?

This was our issue and it's being fixed... :)

I see the Portal page topic column centered in v2.0. It's difficult for me to read...

Here's an interesting anomaly: search appears to be broken.

Choose "Search | Advanced search"

Pick a keyword (like "Nords") and "Search Entire Posts".
Leave "User Name" blank.
Set "Find Threads with" on "At Least" and "0" replies,
"Find Posts from" on "A Week Ago" with "and Newer",
"Sort Results by" on "Last Posting Date" and "in Descending Order",
then "Show Results as" on the "Posts" radio button.
Leave "Search by Tag" blank
and set "Search in Forum(s)" to "Search All Open Forums".

That's the default search I've saved to review the last week of threads and see if I've missed responding to a post. I usually get 1-25 hits on it, but for the last couple weeks I've been getting over 800 posts going back to May 2009.

Here's an interesting anomaly: search appears to be broken.

Choose "Search | Advanced search"

Pick a keyword (like "Nords") and "Search Entire Posts".
Leave "User Name" blank.
Set "Find Threads with" on "At Least" and "0" replies,
"Find Posts from" on "A Week Ago" with "and Newer",
"Sort Results by" on "Last Posting Date" and "in Descending Order",
then "Show Results as" on the "Posts" radio button.
Leave "Search by Tag" blank
and set "Search in Forum(s)" to "Search All Open Forums".

That's the default search I've saved to review the last week of threads and see if I've missed responding to a post. I usually get 1-25 hits on it, but for the last couple weeks I've been getting over 800 posts going back to May 2009.
We will take a look at this.

FYI - We switched to a new search system a couple weeks ago. It's called Sphinx (link). We are still tweaking and learning. I'll reply back when I hear from the server admin on this.

Seems to be working now. I re-ran the one-week search on 20 Feb and got one week of results.

Seems to be working now. I re-ran the one-week search on 20 Feb and got one week of results.
Great, glad it's working. I pinged the server admin about the issue and he found the problem. I meant to report back but a big storm friend our router and cable modem last Sunday and it's Carnaval down here in Brazil (no one works). So I was offline and forgot.

Ads in the right-hand column are wreaking havoc this morning. Every other time I hit "portal" I get a page that has the first column compacted to something less than the size of 1/3 of the screen and the far right column taking up almost half the page. So far two advertisements, Lowermybills.com and Monster.com are among the apparent culprits. They are ultra-wide ads and seem to have something to do with it.

Leonidas, I can't duplicate your complaint. I cycled between "Portal" and "Forum" and "UserCP" several times and each time the right-side column (in the Portal mode) took up only about 25% of the window.

I could attach a screen-shot if you'd like.

We're taking a look at this - thanks for the reports.

Edit attachments just did something strange. I uploaded a photo, but then decided to not continue with the posting. I appeared in my attachments with status "in progress", or something like that. When I tried to delete it (clicked on the checkbox, then clicked on "delete selected") the page went blank.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/profile.php?do=editattachments

Now I get a blank page whenever I try to view my attachements.

Last edited:
A few minutes ago I logged off the forum and this page came across my screen....

(Our computer runs on Windows XP and Internet Explorer 8.)

Suspicious Web Page Blocked

You attempted to access:
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/thank-you-49191.html

For your protection, this web page has been blocked and submitted for review. Visit Symantec to learn more about phishing and internet security.

It is recommended that you do NOT visit this page, however if you know that this web page is safe, you may choose to visit this web page anyway.

Exit this site

Back
Top Bottom