The History of Early-Retirement.org

BTW, what happened with Google shutting her down? I don't recall hearing about that.
Depends on whose conspiracy theory you endorse. Google (owner of Blogger) disabled her blog and her other Google accounts. When Google does such a thing it's usually for some violation of terms of service or other customer complaints. Another possibility is that her account was somehow hacked by someone who went on to violate her terms of service and got her in trouble. She chose to believe in the hacker theory.

She also used to post her portfolio history/results. I noticed that stopped in late 2008/early 2009.

It took me a couple of months to put 2&2 together and realize that Nords was the guy I had read about a few years ago!
Glad to help! Funny story. IIRC that article came out in the June issue of Forbes. In July we went on a college tour, and the first stop was Notre Dame. (Their alumni shower so much money on their NROTC unit, the nation's largest, that the staff doesn't even bother to ask Navy for funding. In 2007 this included their brand-new $7M training building.) We really enjoyed the tour but spouse and I were trying very hard to fade into the background and get our daughter out front to ask the questions. She started getting into it and by the end of the day she was firmly in charge.

We were sitting in the submarine lieutenant's office while she interviewed him about their program, and things were going pretty well. Suddenly he made eye contact with me and said "Hey, you're the guy in Forbes, aren't you?" Her interview was over-- suddenly he was interviewing me about my career and the Reserves and his other options.

We eventually got back on track, but our daughter was thoroughly disgusted. At the next two colleges we were lucky that we even got into the lieutenant's offices...

I was an active poster when the whole MMND showdown happened and I had no memory of it! I gotta start paying more attention...

As Clifp said, the "[insert subject here] since 1901" tagline was from the Motley Fool board and a few folks carried it over when they began posting here.

Unlike dryer sheets or bacon, it lacked staying power...

Ah, the only problem with MMND is that she had such a thin skin that she didn't stay around serving as the pinata long enough. She was at least coherent, as opposed to the 40 paragraph hoco-rants and the bizarre quasi-legal arguments spouted by Emeticus.

My name is BigMoneyJim and I approve of this history.

Hey, this is better and cheaper than Who's Who!

I thought it was ... since 1902. I've seen that here, but it was much more prevalent on the MF REHP board and some of the other spinoffs. I don't recall the genesis of that and never quite "got it".

Hey, did we get the spontaneous nasal milk link in here somewhere?

Ah, the only problem with MMND is that she had such a thin skin that she didn't stay around serving as the pinata long enough. She was at least coherent, as opposed to the 40 paragraph hoco-rants and the bizarre quasi-legal arguments spouted by Emeticus.

:LOL:

I just read through the whole MMND thread as well. WOW...

HAHA! I did the same thing!

REWahoo, great job. I was always curious as to how it all started. Also, the links provided much needed entertainment. I needed that!

Great reading the history here. Also one of those who was a MF and stayed for a while under a free subscription and migrated here in 2003, which feels like home these days.. Liked Intercst and Dory, good grounded folks. This board would be a good study for someone's graduate thesis for its path to success. There were a lot of good places, like early MF, that provided good information and social support but they lacked the flexibility or survival instinct of this board. Good genes and good moderation.

This board inspired and informed my transition from employment to retirement all because I learned about financial independence. I feel a lot of gratitude to the founders and sustainers of this site.

Thanks for this REW. Beautiful...

In all my years of posting here and reading other posts, this ranks up there as the most informative. I love any kind of history/history-related items as I am math-challanged. (In my fuzzy-mind "mathPeople" do not like history and "historyPeople" do not like math.):cool:

I thought it was ... since 1902. I've seen that here, but it was much more prevalent on the MF REHP board and some of the other spinoffs. I don't recall the genesis of that and never quite "got it".

According to Dory, the old "...since 1902" catchphrase came from a poster named arrete.

Hey, did we get the spontaneous nasal milk link in here somewhere?
I'm pretty sure we did if you went back and read this one:

Very interesting history, thanks for posting. I was surprised to read that the 2004 election was between Bush and Gore, though. :)

Very interesting history, thanks for posting. I was surprised to read that the 2004 election was between Bush and Gore, though. :)
I think there were so many who were still fighting that four year old battle that it clouded my memory. Or maybe it was a hanging chad...

Last edited:
Great Job REW. From the length of that post, now I know what you do all day. Histories is hard.

Thanks from Chattanooga for daily inspiration and entertainment. I have no idea how I got here or how long I have been here !

Back
Top Bottom