Tracking a thread without participating?

Sam

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
"Show new replies to your posts" appears to be the best way to keep track of a thread you're interested in. The problem is you have to participate in it. Not an issue if you really have something "significant" to say.

Is there another way?

Conversely, is there a way to remove yourself from a post you participated in the past. Yeah, one of those thread where you replied to as a reflex, and later regretted your hasty decision.

Thanks

Sam said:
"Show new replies to your posts" appears to be the best way to keep track of a thread you're interested in. The problem is you have to participate in it. Not an issue if you really have something "significant" to say.

Is there another way?

Create a bookmark for that particular thread?

Sam said:
Conversely, is there a way to remove yourself from a post you participated in the past. Yeah, one of those thread where you replied to as a reflex, and later regretted your hasty decision.

Thanks

Not really. Nords explained why we don't allow deletions here:

Deleting makes it darn hard to figure out what was being said by whom (sometimes even hard to discern the subject) and difficult to find that post you were searching for by a keyword or by a particular poster's name. So the moderator decision was made to limit deletions to moderators & administrators.

Bookmark? What is it? How do I do it?

No, I don't want to delete what I posted. I just don't want the thread to appear, when I hit "Show new replies to your posts".

Sam said:
Bookmark? What is it? How do I do it?

If you're using Explorer it's called a "favorite" and in Firefox it's a "bookmark". Both are located in a toolbar at the top of your browser page.

Just go to the thread you want to mark, click on favorite/bookmark and follow the promts to add that page on the web to your list. Then you can return to it anytime in the future by clicking on the favorite/bookmark button and choosing from the list that pops up.

I see what you mean now. The "favorite" will get me to the thread, but does not tell me when / if the thread is updated.

Thanks anyway.

Sam,

You can probably find a satisfactory way using a combination of "Show unread posts since last visit" and "Show new replies to your posts." The difference is that the first one shows updated posts in which you did not participate as well as your own (and highlights your own), as long as they're recent. The other one shows any replies to your posts, whether they're new or not.

I can't think of a way off-hand to remove yourself altogether from a thread in the manner you describe, although it becomes less of a hassle if you balance your "Show new replies to your posts" chi with your "Show unread posts since last visit" chi. ;)

Hope this helps!

Yeah. I understand how both options work. I was hoping for a more streamlined method to do what I want.

Perhaps an "Interesting" box for each thread. And a "Show new replies to Interesting threads" command.

the "notify" button will do what you want. It's cumbersome though. You'll get an email each time a new post is added to a thread. I tried it and then "unnotified" myself because I didn't feel like getting a ton of emails.

I would personally like the option to "subscribe" and see the subscribed-to thread in "Show new replies to your posts."

Yeah, that sounds nice. I sometimes post a throwaway one-liner in a thread if I want to keep track of it easily.

Oops, just let the cat out of the bag. ;) I hope those lines aren't disruptive!

justin said:
I would personally like the option to "subscribe" and see the subscribed-to thread in "Show new replies to your posts."

Yep, that would do what a I want.

Along that line, "unsubscribe" option should remove oneself from a thread previously participated in.

Back
Top Bottom