8 'Healthy Drinks' That Are Actually Terrible for You

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Contrary to what you might think, I am not advocating this link. While there is some good information (that won't surprise you), what strikes me most is that if you look enough, you can find someone or some organization that will claim just about anything you eat or drink is bad for you. How many food items have we been definitively told were bad for us, only to have the conclusion reversed or substantially altered some time later by other experts? Kinda ridiculous IMO. If it's something new that's been considerably processed/altered I might be wary, but if it's a food that's been around for generations, how bad can it be - in moderation?

Too much of anything may be bad, but in moderation I suspect most of these drinks are just fine...YMMV

8 'Healthy Drinks' Slideshow | The Daily Meal

Last edited:
Contrary to what you might think, I am not advocating this link. While there is some good information (that won't surprise you), what strikes me most is that if you look enough, you can find someone or some organization that will claim just about anything you eat or drink is bad for you. How many food items have we been definitively told were bad for us, only to have the conclusion reversed or substantially altered some time later by other experts? Kinda ridiculous IMO. If it's something new that's been considerably processed/altered I might be wary, but if it's a food that's been around for generations, how bad can it be - in moderation?

Too much of anything may be bad, but in moderation I suspect most of these drinks are just fine...YMMV

| The Daily Meal

Interesting link.

Thank goodness scotch and soda aren't on the list.;)

I'm glad my sparkling water didn't make the list. I do enjoy the carbonation. Anyone who thinks drinking large quantities of fruit juice or diet drinks is a good idea hasn't been paying attention. I cut out drinking whole glasses of fruit juice/orange juice, and even smoothies, as soon as I realized the massive sugar intake and lake of fiber. I eat the whole fruit instead, or at most add a splash of juice (like pomegranate) to some sparkling water. I'm still amazed at how much soda Americans drink, and how many feed it to their kids.

I'm still amazed at how much soda Americans drink, and how many feed it to their kids.

+1

I still remember being on business in the UK with an American colleague, staying in a small town country pub, when he ordered a Coke / Pepsi at breakfast. He was surprised when the waitress told him that it would take a few minutes as she would need to get the bar opened. I'm sure that in the big cities, where they are used to American tourists, that they keep soda available at all times, but soda at breakfast is pretty much unheard of.

+1

I still remember being on business in the UK with an American colleague, staying in a small town country pub, when he ordered a Coke / Pepsi at breakfast. He was surprised when the waitress told him that it would take a few minutes as she would need to get the bar opened. I'm sure that in the big cities, where they are used to American tourists, that they keep soda available at all times, but soda at breakfast is pretty much unheard of.
There are plenty of Americans who get their morning caffeine from a coke or pepsi instead of coffee or tea.

I haven't had any soda in my house for years, although I may order a diet Coke a couple of times a month at lunch. Not often, though. A pet peeve of mine is that so many restaurants do not offer any sodas with no caffeine AND no sugar in them. I do not tolerate either very well.

I drink two cups of coffee every morning. That's a vice, I suppose, but one that is less harmful than some so I indulge myself in this way.

I never consume alcoholic beverages.

Usually I drink WATER. :D When I am thirsty, that is my drink of choice. Today my only beverages have been my two cups of coffee, and 3-4 glasses of water so far. I don't see anything wrong with others drinking what they want to drink, although I would hope that they are judicious enough to exercise some moderation when drinking alcoholic or caffeinated drinks.

Attachments

• water.jpg
    water.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Our mountain water is so tasty, I bought a SodaStream to make my own sparkling H2O. Saves on plastic, and the mountain water from our 87,700 acre backyard Wilderness, surrounded by The Coronado National Forest that covers 1,780,000 acres of southeastern Arizona keeps it that way.

I wonder what they would say about water. :D

Drinking too much can give you dilutional hyponatremia, also known as water poisoning.

That's why I always drink my scotch neat. :) and occasionally I'll add a splash of soda for the carbonation.

Over the summer I was shopping at Whole Foods Market. They set up a sangria tasting and I overheard the young lady addressing the shoppers assembled for a free taste say sangria was a health food because it had had a double health benefit; resveratrol was good for the heart and the added fruit juice had lots of vitamins.

Wine is not on the list, hurray, nor anything of 80 proof. A good list I'll say. I do not drink fruit juice or soft drink, but occasionally when thirsty I find everything tastes good.

Our mountain water is so tasty, I bought a SodaStream to make my own sparkling H2O.

Does carbonation kill giardia and other protozoa? ;)

I drink two cups of coffee every morning. That's a vice, I suppose, but one that is less harmful than some so I indulge myself in this way.

IIRC correctly, a modest amount of coffee has beneficial benefits to one's health. Hardly the definition of a vice.

I never consume alcoholic beverages.

Just curious W2R. You've mentioned this often over the years and I've wondered why not even a glass of wine? If you'd prefer not to answer, please ignore this inquiry. Otherwise, I'd be interested in your reply.

Last edited:
How 'bout bottled water that has been refilled with tap water?

We do that often when traveling, particularly in Europe.

I'd say the information at the link you provided is pretty accurate. Most of the items they list have not been around (or at least have not been consumed in large quantities) for all that long.......certainly less than a generation. Fruit juice that is fresh-pressed from fruit is probably okay (in moderation), but the fruit juice you buy from the store is not.....most of that stuff is loaded with fructose/sugar. I pretty much stick to drinking water, tea (green or black), some black coffee, wine with dinner, and an occasional after-dinner cocktail. It's mainly the sugar and fructose that you want to avoid or minimize (in beverages or anything else), in my opinion.

Usually I drink WATER. :D When I am thirsty, that is my drink of choice. Today my only beverages have been my two cups of coffee, and 3-4 glasses of water so far.

I pretty much stick to drinking water, tea (green or black), some black coffee, wine with dinner, and an occasional after-dinner cocktail.
I try to drink only tap water as I know there's probably nothing better for me, but after a few days I just have to have something else, I get tired of nothing but water. Mostly water, but I have to augment with wine, a cocktail, coffee and the occasional soda/pop once in while.

I'm a little surprised they didn't mention the 'energy drinks' that seem to be all the rage in the past few years. I had a Red Bull out of curiousity a few years ago, thought it tasted abysmal but I drank the whole can (8 oz) to see what the 'buzz' (if any) was like. Made me really jittery and uncomfortable, you coulda scraped me off the ceiling for about an hour until it wore off. Never again. I don't see how people get used to stuff like that...

Last edited:
I thought there were some deaths reported recently that were attributed to caffeine poisoning.

If you are diabetic even OJ or apple juice may not be the best thing for you, unless consumed in very small quantities.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide.

From Dihydrogen Monoxide Research Division - dihydrogen monoxide info

Recent scientific evidence has shown the substance DHMO to be extremely dangerous to life. It is known to be a major component of acid rain and an important cause of erosion. Nationwide, thousands of deaths are attributed to DHMO every year.
For myself, I do drink one Coke in the morning for my caffeine fix even though it has DHMO in it.:)

Exactly!

People should drink more of the 80-proof stuff. It has less dihydrogen monoxide in it, and more of ethanol, the good stuff.

Exactly!

People should drink more of the 80-proof stuff. It has less dihydrogen monoxide in it, and more of ethanol, the good stuff.
It's also made from vegetables, which proves it has healthful properties.

Back
Top Bottom