Do You Drink Enough Water Each Day?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I had a momentary fainting episode with dehydration recently (I'm fine thanks), so I am trying to drink more water. I don't think I have ever had the amount of water doctors recommend - does anyone really drink eight to ten 12 ounce mostly water drinks daily even when not engaged in physical activities? While we get water from many drinks, some are counterproductive re: hydration (e.g. beer/alcohol, excessively sugary, caffeinated).

I drink half-strength Gatorade and plain water when doing physical activities outdoors in the heat, and I just bought some Liquid IV to compare. [I can't drink water only]

I drank so much water playing golf yesterday (100+ oz in 2-3 hrs) that I had to take a "pit stop" every 15 minutes, so I slowed my consumption. Will have to find a balance.

I've also realized pre hydrating is a very good practice, something I'd never done before. Re-hydrating takes hours, so you have to stay ahead of it. If you wait until you're really thirsty during physical activity, it's probably too late. As it turns out, I may have been drinking enough but just starting to late...

I also didn't realize hydration becomes more challenging with age - "Older people may be at higher risk for dehydration because your body’s fluid reserves decrease as you age. Your body also gets to the point where it might not effectively communicate thirst."
Cleveland Clinic & Mayo Clinic said:
The U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine determined that an adequate daily fluid intake is:

About 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids a day for men
About 11.5 cups (2.7 liters) of fluids a day for women

These recommendations cover fluids from water, other beverages and food. About 20% of daily fluid intake usually comes from food and the rest from drinks.

Last edited:
does anyone really drink ten 12 ounce mostly water drinks daily

I've never heard of such a thing.
The traditional recommendation has always been eight 8-ounce glasses per day, so only half of your citation, and even that has been debunked by many.

Another point often forgotten is that we get a lot of our water intake in our food; it doesn't have to be in liquid form.

My belief is that as long as you're not thirsty and your urine isn't dark you're doing fine.

I have 24 oz insulated water bottles. I use one every day, goal is to fill up three times daily, AM, at noon, at dinner. Those, plus my two cups of coffee and small glass of juice with breakfast generally put me at 90+ oz.

I find I drink water more readily if it is cold, handy and I use a straw. The insulated water bottles keep ice solid for several hours.
Weird, but it works f or me.
Attempt to keep my urine lighter yellow, but that may be TMI;-)

I try to drink as much fluids as I can tolerate, with as few calories, carbs as possible. Helps me avoid/minimize a number of potential health issues, especially in warm weather when losing a lot of moisture to sweat evaporation, or if visiting arid climates (which also includes long flights, air travel is very dehydrating).

I count coffee (in moderation), tea (not enough caffeine to matter), water, fruits, melon, seltzer water, etc.

Water is the 1st thing I drink when I get up in the morning and the last thing I drink before bed (just a few sips so I don't have to get up in the middle of the night).

I read that if you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated, which have found to be a good gauge for me. DW is never thirsty so she has to force herself to drink more fluids.

Anyhow, I don't really measure it - I just try to drink as much as I can tolerate each day, and try to do it in small doses, spread out throughout the day. Have found it does make a difference.

Last edited:
I have 24 oz insulated water bottles. I use one every day, goal is to fill up three times daily, AM, at noon, at dinner. Those, plus my two cups of coffee and small glass of juice with breakfast generally put me at 90+ oz.

I find I drink water more readily if it is cold, handy and I use a straw. The insulated water bottles keep ice solid for several hours.
Weird, but it works f or me.
Attempt to keep my urine lighter yellow, but that may be TMI;-)

Agree - cold works better for me too.

And urine color/hue is a gauge I use as well to see how effective.

I most definitely do not. I have to think about drinking water.

I drink an obscene amount of (black) coffee and usually some (non-sweetened) tea later in the day.

Outside, I have no tolerance for a lot of sun or standing in one place, never did, but that has certainly not improved with age.

I don't drink Gatorade, but occasionally I add (non-sweetened) electrolyte [Keto Chow] drops to cooled tea - and I noticed that makes me feel better.

My latest beverage for a treat is raspberry or cherry tea (this is not sweet) cooled, with some fruit essence seltzer (again this is not sweet) over ice.

Played golf yesterday in 90 degree plus heat. Drank one large cup of ice water, three bottles of water (17oz), two small bottles of Gatorade and watered the bushes about every fourth hole.

When I play 3+ hours of indoor volleyball, I drink around 80 oz of water with electrolytes (Hydralyte). If I slow down on the water intake, I tend to get leg or foot cramps. If it's a whole-day tournament, maybe I drink about 120 oz of water with electrolytes? I sweat a lot, so I don't go to the bathroom as often as the OP.

If I'm not playing sports as much, I don't drink as much water, but I know I need to drink more water when I feel like I'm starting to get an UTI or I feel like I'm about to spill a microscopic kidney stone. (It's hard to explain.) (I did have a painful kidney stone incident one winter when I was not exercising much and was hardly drinking much water...)

Also, there were times I didn't play any sports (except strength training) and I used to get occasional vertigo (a few times a year) and each one lasted a few days and was debilitating. Since I started playing volleyball again, I haven't had any vertigo (it's been 7 years with zero occurrence) and I now think that vertigo was at least partially (or majorly) caused by dehydration, although people say it's the balance or crystals in the inner ear.

Obviously, this is totally anecdotal, but to people who get vertigo or kidney stones, muscle cramps, or ladies who tend to get UTI for no reason, I would say, try drinking more water with some electrolytes (Hopefully with electrolytes without much sugar...)

Last edited:
I most definitely do not. I have to think about drinking water.

I drink an obscene amount of (black) coffee and usually some (non-sweetened) tea later in the day.

Outside, I have no tolerance for a lot of sun or standing in one place, never did, but that has certainly not improved with age.

I don't drink Gatorade, but occasionally I add (non-sweetened) electrolyte [Keto Chow] drops to cooled tea - and I noticed that makes me feel better.

My latest beverage for a treat is raspberry or cherry tea (this is not sweet) cooled, with some fruit essence seltzer (again this is not sweet) over ice.
it is a job for me too. It was easier when I was working on certain jobs that had convenient water.

I have a goal of at least 1 gallon of water each day. To keep myself honest, I fill up a gallon jug of water and use that as my water "pitcher" so I don't have to keep track of how my cups.

Usually, I pretty much hit my target.

If I'm outside in the heat or working up a sweat exercising, I usually drink more.

I have noticed that with age, there is a difference. When I was young, like a teen, I could go hours riding a bicycle or playing ball outside and hardly drink any water. Now a walk around the block and I'm thirsty.

I have a goal of at least 1 gallon of water each day. To keep myself honest, I fill up a gallon jug of water and use that as my water "pitcher" so I don't have to keep track of how my cups.

Usually, I pretty much hit my target.

If I'm outside in the heat or working up a sweat exercising, I usually drink more.

I have noticed that with age, there is a difference. When I was young, like a teen, I could go hours riding a bicycle or playing ball outside and hardly drink any water. Now a walk around the block and I'm thirsty.

Curious, do you wake up at night more than once before wake up time to pee?
I tend to limit the amount of water I drink at night to get a better night sleep.

Last edited:
When I play 3+ hours of indoor volleyball, I drink around 80 oz of water with electrolytes (Hydralyte). If I slow down on the water intake, I tend to get leg or foot cramps. If it's a whole-day tournament, maybe I drink about 120 oz of water with electrolytes? I sweat a lot, so I don't go to the bathroom as often as the OP.

If I'm not playing sports as much, I don't drink as much water, but I know I need to drink more water when I feel like I'm starting to get an UTI or I feel like I'm about to spill a microscopic kidney stone. (It's hard to explain.) (I did have a painful kidney stone incident one winter when I was not exercising much and was hardly drinking much water...)

Also, there were times I didn't play any sports (except strength training) and I used to get occasional vertigo (a few times a year) and each one lasted a few days and was debilitating. Since I started playing volleyball again, I haven't had any vertigo (it's been 7 years with zero occurrence) and I now think that vertigo was at least partially (or majorly) caused by dehydration, although people say it's the balance or crystals in the inner ear.

Obviously, this is totally anecdotal, but to people who get vertigo or kidney stones, muscle cramps, or ladies who tend to get UTI for no reason, I would say, try drinking more water with some electrolytes (Hopefully with electrolytes without much sugar...)

I wasn't always much a water drinker until I've had bouts of vertigo in the past. Vertigo is one of the worse feeling ever.

For me, certain foods tend to bring vertigo on. A killer is garlic power and garlic. Also, too much sodium. I avoid too much garlic when I can as well as sodium. By drinking more water than most, that keeps the vertigo in check mostly. Also, I think other factors too like having decent sleep plays a part too to keep things okay.

I've never heard of such a thing.
The traditional recommendation has always been eight 8-ounce glasses per day, so only half of your citation, and even that has been debunked by many.

Another point often forgotten is that we get a lot of our water intake in our food; it doesn't have to be in liquid form.

My belief is that as long as you're not thirsty and your urine isn't dark you're doing fine.

Right - my understanding was that 8 glasses was a made up number.

And it is possible to overhydrate making electrolytes dangerously low. So if drinking a lot of water make sure you take in something else too that provides important electrolytes. You may also be losing a lot of electrolytes by sweating.

If you are peeing very often you are probably overhydrating.

But you do need to pay attention to thirst - easy to ignore.

Also pay attention during long periods in hot weather to avoid heat stroke. Don’t overdo it outside.

Last edited:
I tend to limit the amount of water I drink at night to get a better night sleep.

Apparently, your body adapts to the higher water intake, so becomes less of an issue. Mostly, with me, it just insures that I'm up by 6am. If I've got a really early schedule, like 4am, I'll drink a big glass of water before bed - works better than an alarm clock.

I have a 67 oz pitcher/container (meant for juice), that I fill with water each day. I chose the size of it as a goal for how much water to drink in a 24-hour period. I usually drink that much or a little less, and have done so for years.

I started doing this for weight loss, although it turns out that this doesn't seem to do much for me in that department. It's convenient, though, I must admit, and it's very helpful if/when I want to know how much water I drink.

I seldom drink anything else except sometimes a cup of coffee in the morning.

When did this become a thing?

I occasionally feel thirsty and then I get something to drink...

That's what I have been doing too. Unfortunately I have an enlarged prostate that gets me up at night even when I limit water late in the day. Med's haven't helped much so probably headed for some kind of prostate surgery to give me some relief. But I do try to drink enough water during the day to stay hydrated.

Where, exactly, does Coffee fit into the equation ??

I drink 3 or 4 12 oz cups of home brewed java for breakfast. No sugar and a splash of half & half. So that gets me to about 40 ounces of liquid in the morning.

I drink about 8 oz of water filtered thru our Fridge dispenser at lunch and again at dinner. If we go out for a meal, I order Sweet Tea with a travelin' cup to go. I don't generally drink booze when dining out -- Charleston County taxes the alcoholic drinks heavily......make the tourists pay.

So I'm probably drinking 60 oz of non-alcoholic liquid refreshment per day. And I don't feel dehydrated at all.

I believe these 'round number' dictated figures are probably too generic for an individual, like the Body Mass Index.

I drink 80 oz. of green tea a day. Currently Sencha.

If my thirst requires more, I break out the herbal teas. 32-64 oz's of those on a hot day like today. I don't drink herbal because of sleep issues, that's never been a problem. I just don't want to overdue caffeine consumption.

I recently tracked myself for several days. I averaged 100-120 oz. / day, not counting food. Decided I was definitely not dehydrated, or at risk. Still try to cut off consumption by 8pm so I don't have to pee 2-3x in the middle of the night...

And it is possible to overhydrate making electrolytes dangerously low. So if drinking a lot of water make sure you take in something else too that provides important electrolytes. You may also be losing a lot of electrolytes by sweating.

This happened to me- I was in India and the fitness room was glassed-in with plenty of open doors and windows but no A/C. I knew I felt awful and kept drinking water. It didn't help. Fortunately, the guide was able to find electrolyte powder and added it to a bottle of water- the effect was miraculous. All the water I'd been drinking just diluted the supply of electrolytes I had left.

I know I don't drink enough water (and too much of my liquid intake is coffee and diet pop) but now I always have a supply of electrolyte powder and am careful abut taking it before or after exertion in hot weather. That includes my travels. I don't want to feel like that again.

~99% of my fluid intake is just plain water. If i'm just sitting around the house I may only drink around 64oz per day but I do have some with my oatmeal in the morning and i'm sure there is some in my food throughout the day. If I go on a long bike ride then I probably drink an additional 48-64oz on top of the other 64oz I typically drink. I think i'm fine.

I'd kill to be able to drink that much cold water in a day. Since the kidneys shut down, I'm limited to 32 oz. fluid per day, including what I take in in food. As usual, I didn't miss it until it was gone. Now I drink a small sip at a time, and dream about a Big Gulp.

I don't think Midpack's listed amount is really the recommended amount. Most things I've ever read talk about 64 oz per day, and that's anecdotal. I think if people needed to drink twice that amount, we'd be having people fainting right and left.

This happened to me- I was in India and the fitness room was glassed-in with plenty of open doors and windows but no A/C. I knew I felt awful and kept drinking water. It didn't help. Fortunately, the guide was able to find electrolyte powder and added it to a bottle of water- the effect was miraculous. All the water I'd been drinking just diluted the supply of electrolytes I had left.

I know I don't drink enough water (and too much of my liquid intake is coffee and diet pop) but now I always have a supply of electrolyte powder and am careful abut taking it before or after exertion in hot weather. That includes my travels. I don't want to feel like that again.
Lucky you the guide knew what to do!

A marathon runner died a few years ago during a run because she was drinking a huge amount of water and her electrolytes got too low.

Last edited:
I don't think Midpack's listed amount is really the recommended amount. Most things I've ever read talk about 64 oz per day, and that's anecdotal. I think if people needed to drink twice that amount, we'd be having people fainting right and left.
Noted in post #1 as recommended by Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic and U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine…

Back
Top Bottom