Alzheimers's - Update

My father was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's. He suspected it (family history and he is a retired physician assistant with many years of experience working with Alzheimer's patients) based on his own observations of his memory failing and more difficulty with more complex tasks (balancing checkbook for example). He took it upon himself to have his PCP refer him for a brain scan.

So, his PCP has started him on the Exelon patch and I believe it is Namenda. Dad is considered to be in the Mild Stage of the Disease.

It was a blessing that my Dad recognized what was going on. Now at least, he is under medical care that may delay the progression of the disease. His Doctor told him that in December they'd evaluate whether or not the drugs seem to be helping him and then go from there. Apparently, the available drugs seem to help keep the disease from progressing in some cases and in others really don't help much at all.

My Dad is Diabetic and will turn 78 this November, he has lived longer than 5 or his 6 siblings. Mom will not be able to care for Dad in the later stages of the Disease. They know this and understand that decisions lie ahead.

Update: So far so good. Dad is tolerating the drugs well so his dosages are being increased to the level he will likely be taking for the rest of his life. PCP also is starting him on Axona, a medical food. Use of medical foods and nutritional approaches in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease

A couple of years ago I wen to a neurologist because I felt my memory was failing. He tested (and passed) me, sighting stress as the reason for my memory lapses. He also said that tumeric may help, so I've been taking 400 mg 2x a day since (along with 3 whole peppercorns 2x a day to help with absorption).

Has anyone else heard of curcumin (tumeric) being used ?

The effect of curcumin (turmeric) on Alzheimer's disease: An overview

Alzheimer’s disease was first diagnosis in Germany by Alois Alzheimer in 1906 and from that time to 1950 was very rare. I was not able to find death from Alzheimer's in 1920,1930,1940,and 1950.
In the 1950s the American Heart Association started promoting machine grease [Crisco]as being better than animal fat. Alzheimer's started and when the statin drugs came on the market in 1998 to 2001it skyrocket. When you start research all they want to talk about is how it will even get higher double by 2050.

The cholesterol that they told everyone to reduce is what the brain is made of. If you check the when Alzheimer started to increase equals the cholesterol phobia and when statin started it skyrocket.
There is 4 main types of dementia 1 is senile dementia which is plugging and free radical damage in the veins 2 is Korsakoff’s Syndrome which is mistaken for Alzheimer's by doctors and is a vitamin B1 deficiency 3 Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome which is Korsakoff syndrome and another problem 4 is Alzheimer's which can only be diagnosis at death
There is research that says that high quaintly of vitamin E can bring back memory in Alzheimer [not a cure] So if you know a person with Alzheimer [dementia] a large dose of vitamin B1,B12 and E with lots of eggs certainly will not harm and just might help

Alzheimer’s disease was first diagnosis in Germany by Alois Alzheimer in 1906 and from that time to 1950 was very rare. I was not able to find death from Alzheimer's in 1920,1930,1940,and 1950.
In the 1950s the American Heart Association started promoting machine grease [Crisco]as being better than animal fat. Alzheimer's started and when the statin drugs came on the market in 1998 to 2001it skyrocket. When you start research all they want to talk about is how it will even get higher double by 2050.

The cholesterol that they told everyone to reduce is what the brain is made of. If you check the when Alzheimer started to increase equals the cholesterol phobia and when statin started it skyrocket.
There is 4 main types of dementia 1 is senile dementia which is plugging and free radical damage in the veins 2 is Korsakoff’s Syndrome which is mistaken for Alzheimer's by doctors and is a vitamin B1 deficiency 3 Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome which is Korsakoff syndrome and another problem 4 is Alzheimer's which can only be diagnosis at death
There is research that says that high quaintly of vitamin E can bring back memory in Alzheimer [not a cure] So if you know a person with Alzheimer [dementia] a large dose of vitamin B1,B12 and E with lots of eggs certainly will not harm and just might help

Huh?

A couple of years ago I wen to a neurologist because I felt my memory was failing. He tested (and passed) me, sighting stress as the reason for my memory lapses. He also said that tumeric may help, so I've been taking 400 mg 2x a day since (along with 3 whole peppercorns 2x a day to help with absorption).

Has anyone else heard of curcumin (tumeric) being used ?

The effect of curcumin (turmeric) on Alzheimer's disease: An overview

Just recently read this and another article on the same subject. I certainly would try it, I can't see where it can hurt.

We have a new memory unit at a teaching hospital here, they suggested exercise in moderation(with docs ok). Not a cure but it could possbly delay the start of symptoms, won't hurt your stress either. I think my memory is better after leaving the stress.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Here's a fairly recent update concerning the effect of common vitamins on the progression of Alzheimers.

Common Vitamins and Supplements to Treat Alzheimer's disease

About a year and a half ago, I read a number of articles suggesting that Vitamin B12 and Vitamin E had shown great promise for helping delay the progress of the disease. Since that time, I have been taking Vitamin B12. As I was going to replenish my supply, I decided to check again to see what progress had been made in the analysis. Surprise... the first things to come up in the search were many articles saying vitamin B12 was not proven.

The chart in the cited article show that there are no proven Alzheimer's vitamins and most have shown "insufficient evidence" or "possibly" effective.

Keeping up with medical advances is ongoing.

I work with this day in and day out. If people would eat a really healthy diet (and I mean really healthy) and moderately exercise, take care of their blood pressure and diabetes, we would see the rates of dementia go down IM-not-so-HO. The practice of letting residents of nursing homes eat ad lib anything they please is literally abhorrent to me as I see not a green or fresh vegetable on anyone's plate in the dining rooms there and all the salt, sugar and of course hot sauce (after all, it's Texas) they wish to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Don't believe what the experts say. Studies on vitamin E and C have been proven by the people who make money on Alzheimer will not tell you. Also the cholesterol myth is the basic cause of Alzheimer as the brain is 75% by weight cholesterol and the part effected by Alzheimer is 100% cholesterol. There is other dementia which are miss diagnosis as Alzheimer which are a vitamin B deficiencies B1 and B12 Korsakoff,s syndrome is missed in many patience or said it's Alzheimer it can be cured with vitamin B1.
The people who make money off you being sick are not the people to talk to about being well.

A hot sauce basher? Where is your Christmas spirit? :LOL:

I was going to respond as well. Get the no greens and added sugar/salt....but hot sauce? Don't see the issue there...................Maybe I should read the ingredients.............

The practice of letting residents of nursing homes eat ad lib anything they please is literally abhorrent to me as I see not a green or fresh vegetable on anyone's plate in the dining rooms there and all the salt, sugar and of course hot sauce (after all, it's Texas) they wish to have.
Hot sauce has lots of vitamin C, and according to this report, helps control T2 diabetes Is Hot Sauce Good for You? | LIVESTRONG.COM

I work with this day in and day out. If people would eat a really healthy diet (and I mean really healthy) and moderately exercise, take care of their blood pressure and diabetes, we would see the rates of dementia go down IM-not-so-HO. The practice of letting residents of nursing homes eat ad lib anything they please is literally abhorrent to me as I see not a green or fresh vegetable on anyone's plate in the dining rooms there and all the salt, sugar and of course hot sauce (after all, it's Texas) they wish to have.

Saw that at my granddad's medicare nursing home. Fed the residents whatever was cheap and white.

My Dad, however, stayed at high end private memory care. Dad joked with me that he thought he would turn green. Nice salads with spinach and radicchio, etc. They were of the belief -- like you -- that nutrition was huge. Dad improved greatly I think primarily because of a better sleep schedule. There was no undoing the brain damage, but they seemed to slow it significantly.

Not everyone agrees that nutrition matters in the very elderly set since they are "too far gone." I say it mattered for their immediate quality of life and must be considered!

I have heard Alzheimer's called the third type of Diabetes. Apparently, there is a link between it and the same factors that cause diabetes. But, I don't know that the science is there to say it is pretty well proven.

You may have a no-so humble opinion but you have no data. Every study I've seen has debunked the effect of vitamins, diet and exercise. The meds in use as of a couple of years ago are pretty ineffective based on my FILs response. Alzheimers is a terrible condition and we know next to nothing about its cause, prevention or cure..

You may have a no-so humble opinion but you have no data. Every study I've seen has debunked the effect of vitamins, diet and exercise. The meds in use as of a couple of years ago are pretty ineffective based on my FILs response. Alzheimers is a terrible condition and we know next to nothing about its cause, prevention or cure..

But let me reiterate my experience with Dad. These things did not cure or prevent his ALZ. They made is life quality better.

Conditions such as constipation, insomnia, leg cramps, etc., can significantly exacerbate ALZ acute symptoms. Good nutrition can help eliminate many of those problems. Hence, the quality of life is better with less ALZ symptoms.

Why not carry it back into life before ALZ, or early ALZ?

I don't know or care about vitamins. I'm talking common sense nutrition and care (exercise).

Let me give a concrete example: Dad's memory issues with ALZ did not get better, but his confabulations and hallucinations were much less once he improved his eating, exercise and ADL care.

I read recently about a link between the amino acid homocysteine and alzheimers. This caught my attention because my family (both DH, Older son, and I partially, and younger son fully) have mutations that make it so we don't produce the proper enzyme to break down b vitamins. One of the results is higher levels of the amino acid homocysteine. The solution is pretty easy - take pre-methylized forms of b9 and b12... In my younger son's case - he can eat green veggies till he turns green himself - but his body doesn't pull the folate out of the veggies. (And the rest of us only break down about 1/2 the folate.)

This effects so many systems in our body. From regulations of the neurotransmitters (which is how we discovered it - due to emotional/behavioral issues) to higher risk for heart attacks, to build up of toxins.

The mutations we have are MTHFR C677 and A1298.

All of this is a long winded way of saying taking regular B vitamins won't do diddly if you have the MTHFR mutation. You'll need to take methylized forms of the vitamin. Costco sells the b12 vitamin in a "bioavailable" form.

I read recently about a link between the amino acid homocysteine and alzheimers. This caught my attention because my family (both DH, Older son, and I partially, and younger son fully) have mutations that make it so we don't produce the proper enzyme to break down b vitamins. One of the results is higher levels of the amino acid homocysteine. The solution is pretty easy - take pre-methylized forms of b9 and b12... In my younger son's case - he can eat green veggies till he turns green himself - but his body doesn't pull the folate out of the veggies. (And the rest of us only break down about 1/2 the folate.)

This effects so many systems in our body. From regulations of the neurotransmitters (which is how we discovered it - due to emotional/behavioral issues) to higher risk for heart attacks, to build up of toxins.

The mutations we have are MTHFR C677 and A1298.

All of this is a long winded way of saying taking regular B vitamins won't do diddly if you have the MTHFR mutation. You'll need to take methylized forms of the vitamin. Costco sells the b12 vitamin in a "bioavailable" form.
The posters at the Alzheimer's APOE4 forum (http://apoe4.info/forums/index.php) are all over this issue, and a bunch of others.

A few of them have elevated the routines of supplements and diet tactics to an art form.

I have nothing against hot sauce. Just an observation from a former Yankee.

The posters at the Alzheimer's APOE4 forum (- Index page) are all over this issue, and a bunch of others.

A few of them have elevated the routines of supplements and diet tactics to an art form.

Thanks for pointing me there.

How's your dad doing?

My MIL is definitely declining, cognitively. It's not easy to watch and, I'll admit, it scares me that this could be my husbands future. (If family history says anything, I'll die of cancer before AD gets me.)

I am sorry to hear about the problems with Alzheimer's.

Most people are in denial their whole lives. They don't realize their timeline is running out. This is a rare group of people to be able to frankly talk about this and death, as well as realize our own mortality. My father and mother never would face the music when older and certainly not when younger. It was all about control. When they went, it was a real mess. That will never happen with me or my wife.

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing me there.

How's your dad doing?
Thanks, he'll turn 81 years old in February. Alzheimer's has made his temperament even more of what it usually is, so he's the happiest he's ever been.

The multiple myeloma has been in remission for over two years and the rest of his health is good. He has an appetite and he's maintaining his weight. His BP is under control (Lisinopril) and a minimal dose of Lexapro has eliminated the sundowning. Aricept and Namenda... who knows, but the placebo effect certainly makes the rest of us feel better. He tires more easily (especially cognitively) but he's still mobile.

He spends a lot of time on jigsaw puzzles-- he always has, but this is particularly good for Alzheimer's patients. I actually spoke with him on the phone the other day (a conference call, and their volume must've been cranked to the max) and he can still fake his way through a coffeeshop conversation.

Overall it's been a good year. The biggest problem we've had was with John Hancock Financial, and I took care of that:
Why I Won't Buy Long-Term Care Insurance - Military Guide

My MIL is definitely declining, cognitively. It's not easy to watch and, I'll admit, it scares me that this could be my husbands future. (If family history says anything, I'll die of cancer before AD gets me.)
You could spend hours on that APOE4 site (and thousands of dollars) and go completely overboard. But it's an interesting read.

All I can suggest for cognitive decline is that about half of it is genetic and the other half is environmental. My family heritage has done wonders to inspire me to stop drinking, cut down sugar, add protein, keep exercising, and get even leaner...

Back
Top Bottom