USA By State Activity Rating

savory

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We often have posts from things like Nerd Wallet suggesting where to live. We discuss our own desires as it relates to being close to friends and family, among many other important considerations.

We rarely (maybe never) discuss the activity level of state residents. The activity level speaks to the natural and constructed facilities available for our health and enjoyment. A consideration that perhaps not reviewed often.

Weather is important but as you will see, weather does not necessarily result in an active lifestyle given the sunbelt has among the lowest scores.

This post shares some of that data from the CDC study.

"More than 1 in 5 adults is inactive in all but four states, according to new state maps of adult physical inactivity prevalence released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). For these maps, physical inactivity for adults is defined as not participating in any physical activities outside of work over the last month – activities such as running, walking for exercise, or gardening."

Here is the link to the CDC press release if you want to learn more:

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/...tent&eId=5208adf8-9c1e-4309-9873-10f8303f907e

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 121
How is activity outside of work of any special significance, value, or magic power?

Not about to blame State governments for the inactivity of respective residents.

How is activity outside of work of any special significance, value, or magic power?

Presumably it’s just a general metric of health and vitality. Folks who choose to engage in activity when they don’t “have” to (as for a job) are likely healthier than those that don't.

Interesting data from a 30,000 foot view, but would have very little bearing on me as an individual.

Not about to blame State governments for the inactivity of respective residents.

I do not think the study is a direct comment on state government. I do expect where activity is greater outside of work however will be impacted by the availability of natural resources (hiking paths for example) and facilities developed/provided by the state and cities. This includes things like parks with trails, tennis/pickleball courts, sidewalks and bike lanes to name a few.

What I find very interesting is that it is not weather related or so it seems.

But I do not disagree that encouragement and investment actually changes habits for a lot of people. It is up to them.

Curious if this has been correlated with the percentage of high physical activity jobs within a state.

One perspective would be that the more "white collar" (and wealthier) a person is, the more time they might have for the activity that is measured outside of work, as it is more in the "leisure" realm. Whereas if one has a more physically demanding job, there might be less activity (as defined above) outside of work.

Curious if this has been correlated with the percentage of high physical activity jobs within a state.

One perspective would be that the more "white collar" (and wealthier) a person is, the more time they might have for the activity that is measured outside of work, as it is more in the "leisure" realm. Whereas if one has a more physically demanding job, there might be less activity (as defined above) outside of work.

One quick look. This study actually suggests that the harder a person works, the more they take care of their physical needs outside of work

The main purpose of the study was to investigate the relationship between work and physical activity through
an empirical test of the main alternative theories relating work and attitudes to physical leisure activity in the
literature. Our empirical results suggest that there are complexities associated with the nature of work in
various occupations that preclude a simple conclusion. In general, the empirical results are most supportive of
the generalization theory in the sense that white-collar workers who reported that their jobs involved greater
physical effort were more likely to engage in light physical activity, relative to other white-collar workers.
Among blue-collar workers, those working in jobs with greatest physical requirements were more likely to do
vigorous exercise. The empirical results showing no association between physical job requirements and
vigorous exercise among white-collar workers and no association between participation in light physical
activity and physical job requirements among blue- collar workers, respectively, appear to be more supportive
of the segmentation theory, which states that there is no relationship between work demands and leisure
attitudes. However, these results are still largely consistent with the generalization theory, given the nature of
work in various occupations.

https://libres.uncg.edu/ir/uncg/f/H_Wu_Job_2000.pdf

I'm surprised, as I find the little snow and ice we get really kills the ease of walking and increases the danger of falling.
We walk a lot in Spring, Summer and Fall, and then basically stop come Winter.

I would have thought the snow stopped a lot more up North.
Unless you count shoveling as an activity :D

Helps keep obesity and its associated health problems at bay? :cool:

I know that but see jollystomper's post. There is no unique life giving power associated with going to the gym or quite frankly an extended shopping trip vs activity obtained at work unless your job is iron lung tester or paint dryer,

After my heart attack I told the doctor my weekly shopping trip was usually about 90-120 mins , on my feel most of the time walking, loading and unloading. He said that was more exercise than they were prescribing on the bike/treadmill. I said, no "ess!"

And as far as hiking/biking/trails and other formalized infrastructure... I used to do a ton of walking everyday. None of it at those places. I just walked up the block, down the block, around through the various 'hoods. They wouldn't show up as activity, apparently.

Here's the obesity map. Looks the same.

brfss_2020_ob_White.svg

I live in Alabama and this seems pretty accurate. Me and my wife seem to always stick out in a crowd here due to us actually being active with physical activity.

Florida is pretty active but I think is skewed by a larger proportion of elders that are housebound. Would be interesting to see the break down by age groups in each state.

I did not find that my white collar (profession) aided in physical activity. In fact during Covid, "we" were required to travel less often, meaning much less walking, and quite a few puffed up significantly. Also, as "professionals" the company was not required to pay us overtime, and there was seemingly no limit to the time some of us spent glued to chairs working.

Conversely two DSs, blue collar (essential) workers both commute which involves significant walking, and work out (lift weights, etc.) so that they are in better condition to perform their jobs.

YMMV

Last edited:
No doubt about it. As I age I find that the more I move the better. I try to balance the stress I put on my body from exercise with the benefits. I feel as long as I don't overdo the effort for too long things work out well. Most often injuries are the reason I have to slow down. Fewer injuries = more activity. Balance and proportion.

There is no unique life giving power associated with going to the gym or quite frankly an extended shopping trip vs activity obtained at work unless your job is iron lung tester or paint dryer

You can't be serious. Shopping is "exercise" just as much as walking is exercise...it's something and it's better than nothing but it's nowhere near enough. You also need cardio and weight bearing exercise.

Activity at work can range from walking to the printer and coffee machine 4 times a day to shoveling gravel for 8 hours. So it all depends.

Activity an interests can vary a lot from region to region and even state to state.

Years ago after my divorce I visited a few states in Region X. I found the people friendly but suggesting something like a hike in the local mountains was about as popular as suggesting drinking drain cleaner. I also visited acquaintances in Region Y where 'going outside' was practically a religion.

As a newly minted bachelor of a certain age, the differences in male-female interactions were also interesting. Male-Female interactions had a different vibe to them. A nice vibe in both cases, but different.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom