How did this many deaths become normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2HOTinPHX

Full time employment: Posting here.
The Atlantic: Why America Became Numb to COVID Deaths.
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...urce=google&utm_campaign=coronavirus-covid-19

This was a long but very interesting read.,..at 3 AM. Are we letting our guard down too soon? Reading the article makes me wonder if we are and if we will learn from this experience.

Below is just a snippet from the article.

After many of the biggest disasters in American memory, including 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina, “it felt like the world stopped,” Lori Peek, a sociologist at the University of Colorado at Boulder who studies disasters, told me. “On some level, we owned our failures, and there were real changes.” Crossing 1 million deaths could offer a similar opportunity to take stock, but “900,000 deaths felt like a big threshold to me, and we didn’t pause,” Peek said. Why is that? Why were so many publications and politicians focused on reopenings in January and February—the fourth- and fifth-deadliest months of the pandemic?*Why did the CDC issue new guidelines*that allowed most Americans to dispense with indoor masking when at least 1,000 people had been dying of COVID every day for almost six straight months? If the U.S. faced half a year of daily hurricanes that each took 1,000 lives, it is hard to imagine that the nation would decide to, quite literally, throw caution to the wind. Why, then, is COVID different?

One factor is that many deaths occurred among elderly and otherwise sick people who "would have died of something anyway."

As for hurricanes, floods, etc., people simply point fingers at those who "choose to live in those areas."

After 9/11, the biggest impact on most people was having to undergo new, intrusive, inconvenient precautions for air travel. People who don't fly weren't affected.

Nationwide shutdowns are in a whole different class, since they affect everybody. And having to wear a mask became politicized, so peer pressure is now a factor with that. I think most people are slaves to peer pressure.

Let’s also keep in mind that over 50,000 people die from the flu and pneumonia (often caused by influenza) every year too.

That being said, went to a wedding last week and of 200 guests I was one of a handful who wore a mask and seeing that I skipped the reception with the singing and people yelling over the music!

Also, a lot of those folks were unvaccinated, I am sure (Did not read the whole article). DW and I are just fine with our 4/5 Jabs ..... so far. (2 Moderna + 2 Boosters + this year's Flue for me. 2 Pfizer + 1 Booster + this year's Flue for her).

Joseph Stalin's quote—“a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic”

As recent history has shown, threads debating the impacts of the pandemic, measures to mitigate, government vs. individual response, etc., do not lead to friendly and helpful discussion at this time on ER.org.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom