Am I crazy for wanting cosmetic surgery?

I’m 6’3”
I’ve been this height for nearly 50 years.
It’s not all that.
That being said if it’s been a lifelong desire and you have the means then you should go for it.
Watch your head!

You height is minimum acceptable. You made the cut. Because 5’6” is considered short. Even then you can wear soles in your shoes and they are super comfortable. Yeah, being fit helps.

Yeah 5'7" is sort of short but it's not so bad. A lot of my friends were athletes, hockey and football so I always felt tiny next to them. I was always manhandled on the ice but was more or less an equal on the ball diamond.

A gal that I worked with is about 5'4", she married a guy 4'11 or so.

This anesthesiologist wouldn't dream of doing such a thing or recommend it to anyone for the purpose of gaining an inch or two of height.

Be grateful for what you have, and avoid the numerous potential life-altering complications.

This anesthesiologist wouldn't dream of doing such a thing or recommend it to anyone for the purpose of gaining an inch or two of height.

Be grateful for what you have, and avoid the numerous potential life-altering complications.

Why not? Pay is good.

Plus one MILLION. The process of breaking long bones & putting in rods is MAJOR surgery with potential life threatening risks (like bleeding, infection, etc.). These techniques have been wonderful advances in Orthopedic care, like for victims of bone tumors or major trauma. But to electively carve up a normal body:confused: Strikes me as violating the prime directive of medicine- "First, Do No Harm".

Completely agreed.
Just watch a few episodes of "botched" to see why.

It’s about a guy with dwarfism who had major extension of his limbs and now his son is going through it.

Personally I would not do it considering the risks, but to each their own. Perhaps a more important reason would be the potential affect on children and grandchildren. Is this really the "solution" that you want to lead them to by example?

Not all women want a tall guy!

I am very sympathetic toward shorter men because of societal expectations, but I can tell you with complete certainty that being almost the exact same height as my husband makes me so, so happy. Why? I never have to wait to be kissed. I can look him in the eye. My face doesn't bump against the buttons on his chest. Certain activities are easier. Walking while holding hands doesn't make me look (or feel) like a child because I don't have to reach up. My first husband was a foot taller than me; it was a challenge. I have many reasons to be happier now, and his height is one of them.

I have a sister who finally had to have a leg amputated after a knee surgery gone bad and 2 attempts to fix it. I wouldn't take a chance with cosmetic orthopedic surgery.

As an individual with a very physical lifestyle, having multiple surgeries over the years because of that lifestyle and now at an older age feeling the effects of that lifestyle and those surgeries.
I do my very best to avoid any kind of surgery!!!! I feel every single one of them!

I feel for you, OP. You obviously have suffered with your height issue or you would not be considering such an invasive surgery and course of treatment. I have had a few minor “procedures” done and I can say that I have mixed feelings about each of them. I will not undergo any more. I have finally begun to realize that my physical body is healthy and functional. That’s way more than a lot of people have. I have seen (through my career in health care) many many sad stories of injuries and illness that take functionality away. Amputations, broken bones beyond repair, faces permanently disfigured. Not to mention the neuropathies, bed sores, permanent disability and degrading of strength through ALS and Parkinson’s. The dysfunction of bowels, bladders, kidneys, blood vessels, etc…each with the attending problems associated with these disorders. Young people with cancer.
Good health, functioning limbs, energy to face the day and do fun things…these are the blessings of a sound body.
As an exercise, before making a decision, maybe consider seeking out an opportunity to observe disabled folks, people with life shattering injuries. This may give you a new appreciation for what you have. Then if you can’t abide the idea of going through the rest of you life at your height, have the surgery.

OP hasn't checked in for the last six weeks, so probably not worth continuing this thread.

I'm 5'8" and if I wear boots w 1 inch heels, I'll be 5'9". If you're obsessed to correct your physical imperfection, go for it.
The only thing I physical corrected was my teeth with a retainer/brace. It was not much of a risk for me. Just be sure to accept the risk of the operation.

Too bad OP has left the building. I was gonna suggest he move to Hawaii. I'm just about dead average height, but here in Hawaii, I tower over virtually every woman and most men. $100K would go a long way in making the transition to Paradise. It would be a heck of a lot more fun than surgery as well. Naturally, YMMV.

Too bad OP has left the building. I was gonna suggest he move to Hawaii. I'm just about dead average height, but here in Hawaii, I tower over virtually every woman and most men. $100K would go a long way in making the transition to Paradise. It would be a heck of a lot more fun than surgery as well. Naturally, YMMV.

That reminds me of a couple guys I worked with, that were motivated about climbing the management ladder. Each was below average height, and they each did stints in Japan. I think we mused a bit about if they liked the fact they were probably taller than average there, or at least average (I know average heights in Japan have increased with standard of living though).

-ERD50

That reminds me of a couple guys I worked with, that were motivated about climbing the management ladder. Each was below average height, and they each did stints in Japan. I think we mused a bit about if they liked the fact they were probably taller than average there, or at least average (I know average heights in Japan have increased with standard of living though).

-ERD50

My brothers were 6'4" and 6'5". In Japan in the early 1950's they were nearly regarded as freaks. They didn't like that much!

As for me, I had unusually light blue eyes and that was thought of as pretty rare, too. But in my case, instead of gawking stares, I got free gifts from shop owners and such (a lovely Japanese doll, enamel jewel box, an embroidered wallet, and a few other items that I've forgotten). Sadly my eyes became more blue-gray instead of light blue, as I entered middle age.

Attachments

• lefteye.jpg
    lefteye.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 161
There were lots of wonderful things about living in Hawaii, many I knew about before moving here, but there were a few pleasant surprise.

The year after moving here I went to the Chinese New Years' parade (maybe I'll go again this year). It was very crowded and I arrived late, which in California meant you saw the back of people's heads, for a man of average height 5'11. Instead, I stood at the back of the crowd with an unobstructed view of the parade.

What about limb shortening surgery if you are too tall?

Also, puts a whole new meaning to no pain, no gain.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom