New cardiologist not care about my cholesterol

This was not a big shock exactly as it has been high (220-240) for a good 30 years and none of the several PCP or other cardiologist has cared either. . . . PCP says always runs higher in her thyroid patients . . . it just struck me as so odd the way he said it. Basically that they had been in there poking around taking photos (I had an angiogram in the hospital a bit back due to hypertensive crisis) and he was like more or less we can see you don't have any build up nothing to treat.

I'm good with this as I didn't want meds and was there for blood pressure . . . but I thought some of you would probably be amazed since I know many here have very very conservative goals for it. Of course if I develop more problems or get older they may change their tune. I just thought I'd throw it out there since I was thinking over the visit.

No real point to this post I guess. . . not trying to convince anyone to ignore what their doctor advises based on their circumstances of course.

He was at least open to trying to reduce my bp meds so that was a plus. Some of them think if 120 is good then 100 is better. . . . um not if it requires multiple meds . . . at least not as far as I am concerned.

I should have asked him about the local research study trying to get people to get their LP(a) checked but I didn't. I don't really want to know mine as there is nothing I can do about it. Figured mine would suck and I'd just worry. Not worth at $45 gift card.

Having relatively recently switched cardiologists (the first one retired) I notice that they are very different in what they emphasize, what they treat, how they treat it, etc. Kinda makes me wonder if a good PCP (which I believe I have) could treat my CAD just as well??

Having relatively recently switched cardiologists (the first one retired) I notice that they are very different in what they emphasize, what they treat, how they treat it, etc. Kinda makes me wonder if a good PCP (which I believe I have) could treat my CAD just as well??

I don't think I really need a cardiologist. I met the first one in the hospital for a hypertensive crisis and just stuck with him to sort out the blood pressure which was a months long painful process but seems sorted for now. We'll see.

At age 50 despite being in excellent shape I ended up in the hospital with my BP 200/100 and tachycardia. A cardiologist got me on medication and I have been fine for 20 years. He was a real jerk and after a year I just had my GP monitor my condition.

About every 5 years the beta blocker stops working and we try a different one. Luckily I get a headache when the medication stops working. I also take my BP regularly. My GP said if I start to have problems in the future I will need to see a cardiologist but for now I don’t.

At age 50 despite being in excellent shape I ended up in the hospital with my BP 200/100 and tachycardia. A cardiologist got me on medication and I have been fine for 20 years. He was a real jerk and after a year I just had my GP monitor my condition.

About every 5 years the beta blocker stops working and we try a different one. Luckily I get a headache when the medication stops working. I also take my BP regularly. My GP said if I start to have problems in the future I will need to see a cardiologist but for now I don’t.

I contracted SVT a few years ago and it was fixed with an ablation. No meds needed going forward. BP now normal and average resting pulse right at 51.

u

I contracted SVT a few years ago and it was fixed with an ablation. No meds needed going forward. BP now normal and average resting pulse right at 51.

AJA, I have 2 separate problems. The HBP is genetic as everyone on my mom’s side of the family gets it fairly young. The too fast irregular heartbeat isn’t afib and my tachycardia is of unknown origin. However, it’s never happened again in 20 years because of the medication. Luckily one medication solves both problems. I occasionally have an ekg to make sure it hasn’t returned. The doctor said it was lucky that I didn’t have a stroke because of my blood pressure being so high so I am on the medication for life.

AJA, I have 2 separate problems. The HBP is genetic as everyone on my mom’s side of the family gets it fairly young. The too fast irregular heartbeat isn’t afib and my tachycardia is of unknown origin. However, it’s never happened again in 20 years because of the medication. Luckily one medication solves both problems. I occasionally have an ekg to make sure it hasn’t returned. The doctor said it was lucky that I didn’t have a stroke because of my blood pressure being so high so I am on the medication for life.

My SVT was from an electrical pulse, unknown source from my brain. Doc said when my heartbeat went to 200+ beats per minute, my heart was running a marathon while my legs and lungs weren't. Maybe it had something to do with the marathons I ran in my younger days? Who, knows, but the RF energy blast to the lightning bolt in my heart that kicked it off, fixed it. No meds, no more SVT!

I wasn't going to buy one, but my Big Sis bought me the Kardia Mobile device to watch for A-fib or SVT. It really w*rks. I also take BP reading pretty much every day. Good results past several months on meds only.

Back
Top Bottom