Anyone feel better in retirement ?

Arc said:
You don't really have to wait. A great book that addresses how to handle worry and stress is Dale Carnegie's "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living." It offers practical ways to reduce (or eliminate) worry. I've noticed a significant difference - should say that I took the 12 week course as well. Good luck!

I couldn't agree more and I try and set a good example to others by leaving promptly on time every day "because I have to make my exercise classes" - When I lived in England I was always in a car pool - another great way to "have" to leave work at a particular time.

Way back in 1986 I received a freebie through the mail - a simple little device the size of a credit card that measured the temperature of your skin surface by you pressing your thumb on the pad on the card and watching the color strip strange. Blue meant skin surface temp was cold and you were stressed, red meant OK. It was remarkable how well it worked. When it came up blue I could sit back for a few minutes and think of warm places - vacations in the Med on topless beaches always seemed to come to mind 8). Test again and the strip was back to red. After a few months of use I got used to recognizing the symptons of stress at work and when to relax.

No doubt about it. I feel much better.
I sleep solid at night and have a regular sleep schedule.
The acid reflux is gone. I am 24 pounds lighter than I was a year ago.
My friends tell me I look better, too. It has been encouraging.

Part of the reason that I want to ER is that I feel SO much better on weekends or vacation days when I can sleep in. I get too keyed up to sleep very much during my work week, and I think it is causing some minor sleep deprivation.

When I ER, I'm going to spend the first year or so exercising and sleeping in, and I'll probably feel a whole lot better. I'll sleep until I want to get up. Sounds idyllic.

Two years in and I sleep much better. Pre-ER I would wake up at 4am with work issues roiling around in my mind several times a week. Post ER, never. Pre-ER I kept Ambien around for those days I knew I needed to get to sleep. Post ER the Ambien is still in the drawer untouched. On the physical fitness side I haven't done better that before. I used to get up at 5:30am three days a week to go to the gym before work. Now I can go anytime so I don't go with the crowds in the morning. Problem is, I can too easily get caught up in all of my unscheduled activities and miss the gym entirely. I am planning on putting a little more gym structure into my routine to make up for my lack of self discipline.

Arc said:
You don't really have to wait. A great book that addresses how to handle worry and stress is Dale Carnegie's "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living." It offers practical ways to reduce (or eliminate) worry. I've noticed a significant difference - should say that I took the 12 week course as well. Good luck!

Absolutely, this is a standard. Everyone should keep it beside their bed, like a bible.

Back
Top Bottom