Anyone tried hypnosis for fear or anxiety?

I've struggled with anxiety for most of my life. I'm not sure if it is just anxiety as I've been diagnosed with PTSD too.

Most anxiety treatments focus on breathing and CBT. They seem similar to hypnosis that I've done. I've tried most of these and haven't found anything that is successful at long-term relief for me. But they can provide temporary help. There's tools to help with breathing such as Heart-math.

Recently, I tried a home ketamine treatment and found it helpful. It seems like ketamine provides a hypnosis like experience that, for me , is helpful. Yes, it is a psychedelic, but the experience is short. I found the therapeutic value not from the highest dosage and visual effects but on a smaller dose that allows old positive things to surface.

DW has struggled with anxiety, especially in recent decades, but made the personal choice for herself a few years ago to kick the pharmaceuticals, even though they generally helped her. Not easy to do but she’s gotten the most benefit from a therapist who is skilled in EMDR therapy, which DW says feels like a hypnotic state. Second, she’s benefited from listening to Quiet Mind Solutions’ “The Anxiety Series”. Best wishes.

Two self taught techniques to help me reframe anxiety issues are to ask myself a couple of questions:
- What is the worst thing that can probably happen? and How likely is to occur?
- If this does occur, will you be able adapt to it survive it etc?

I also like the quote attributed to Mark Twain
"I have lived through some terrible things in my life -- some of them actually happened."

-gauss

I guess I've sort of treated myself with a kind of self hypnosis. I simply repeat truths like "only 8% of the stuff I worry about will ever come to pass." Say it 'til you believe it. Once or twice or all day if need be.

No hypnosis, however I do meditation. So I guess that could be a self hypnosis, maybe :)
DD has gone through EMDR and CBT, both helpful.

EMDR= eye movement desensitizing and processing
CBT= cognitive behavioral therapy

As a psychologist, I have done a fair amount of hypnosis with my clients. It can be very effective, especially for habit control (smoking cessation, weight loss) as well as anxiety and fears.If conducted within the context of CBT, the efficacy is generally higher. There are a lot of good hypnosis recordings on YouTube. It’s best to listen to them frequently to reinforce the hypnosis. If conducted in session, ask the therapist to record it on your phone, so you can listen to it frequently.

No hypnosis, however I do meditation. So I guess that could be a self hypnosis, maybe :)

Same here. I never realized how much subtle anxiety I was feeling until I started meditating. I discovered that a large percentage of my thinking was not only totally unecessary but often based in negative feelings such as self-doubt that were not based in reality.

I think meditation is the opposite of hypnosis. When we're over-engaged with our own thoughts, that's hypnosis.

As a psychologist, I have done a fair amount of hypnosis with my clients. It can be very effective, especially for habit control (smoking cessation, weight loss) as well as anxiety and fears.If conducted within the context of CBT, the efficacy is generally higher. There are a lot of good hypnosis recordings on YouTube. It’s best to listen to them frequently to reinforce the hypnosis. If conducted in session, ask the therapist to record it on your phone, so you can listen to it frequently.

Thanks. You inspired me to look around. I’ve subscribed to this Free Hypnosis Sessions channel and have done one of them a couple of times so far. He addresses all kinds of obstacles people have. https://youtube.com/@freehypnosissessions

It's the stuff you don't worry about that's gonna getcha!

I guess I've sort of treated myself with a kind of self hypnosis. I simply repeat truths like "only 8% of the stuff I worry about will ever come to pass." .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom