Anyone trying Red Light Therapy?

CountryGal

Recycles dryer sheets
I haven't seen any other threads on this topic.

I found out about Red Light Therapy last fall and did some research. In December we purchased a light panel for a variety of reasons. Hair regrowth, pain management, energy, brain health etc.

DH and I use the light almost every day. Hair regrowth is supposed to take at least 6 months and neither of us has been faithful with it. I do experience better energy levels and pain relief from using the light. I found out a few months ago I have osteoporosis in my back and the light is also supposed to help with bone regrowth (I don't want to take drugs for it). I am in a Facebook group and a few folks with Traumatic Brain Injuries are seeing benefits. There are lots of studies showing light benefits out there.

Does anyone else have any experience with the red lights or near infrared lights? In December we bought a Joovv that only had red light (not near infrared). I just ordered a smaller light that has frequencies from both. While I like the Joovv, it seems underpowered and over priced compared to the others I have seen come out in the past year. Here are a few links and info on light therapy.

https://www.theenergyblueprint.com/red-light-therapy-ultimate-guide/
https://joovv.com/blogs/joovv-blog/how-does-red-light-therapy-work
https://platinumtherapylights.com/b...-nourishing-the-body-and-enhancing-well-being

Cheers!

Never heard of it before.

Will be interested in what your long term effects are.

Also wonder if it is similar in effect to the laser therapy that some of my pets get for their arthritis, in particular the one who cannot take NSAIDS as she is on steroids for a different condition. The six treatment laser therapy works for a time for pain, but must be repeated every 3 to 6 months.

Never heard of it before.

Will be interested in what your long term effects are.

Also wonder if it is similar in effect to the laser therapy that some of my pets get for their arthritis, in particular the one who cannot take NSAIDS as she is on steroids for a different condition. The six treatment laser therapy works for a time for pain, but must be repeated every 3 to 6 months.

Yes, I believe it is very similar to the laser therapy. I belong to a FB group for light therapy with pets. A lot of people use the LED lights for pets. There are also infrared incandescent lamps that are used for healing pets or farm animals. The incandescent infrared has the same frequency, but isn't as concentrated as most of the energy comes in the form of heat.

With my severe sleep problems, I've tried everything from melatonin to daylight light bulb lamps... Weeks and months of testing, but nothing worked.

Haven't used red light but worth a try.

Some further info on lights for sleeping ....

https://www.sleep.org/articles/choosing-lightbulbs/

I have tried MANY things for sleep.

I only have the red light right now and find it more energizing than relaxing. I do use "orange glasses" (safety glasses) during the hour or two before bed or if watching TV in the hours before bed. They definitely help! I have heard that just lowering the light levels in your house after dusk also helps, but hubby doesn't care or have an issue with sleep. Any blue light devices like phone, tablet, PC or TV (or led lights) can negatively affect your melatonin and prevent sleep.

Another strategy is to pretend you have a "power outage" every night and use candles. Typically on a night when the power is out, everyone is sleepy early.

All that said imoldernu, CBD oil has helped me get sleepy for almost a year. 1 drop about an hour or two before bed is all it takes. I use Medterra.

This is what works for me....Ms gamboolgal and some good whiskey and finally catching her as I chase her around the 4 poster buck neckid....
Long as she is next to me, I sleep well....
Thank God for them Texas gals...

ETA, - Ms. gamboolgal here......he ought not to be posting when drinking the Dirty Bird...

Last edited:
I got one of those pink Himalayan Salt lamps, nice glow!

When I shine a red light on my healing crystal after intermittent fasting, I can see God. Or maybe it's ESPN. One or the other, I'm sure.

DW uses red lights in the bedroom prior to sleep. She has sleep challenges so tries a lot of things. Certainly no harm in red lights, they do not have the impact of full spectrum lights so probably help.

I think the red light cures are BS.
People want to believe in things, so it's easy to find someone who will say it works.

However, I could see, where if you use red lights all over the room at night, and don't watch TV/computer/table/phone, that it won't make you sleepless like blue light is supposed to do.

Or you could turn off all the lights.

I'm a firm believer in the beneficial aspects of the Placebo Effect. If something is not harmful and is working for someone, then keep using whatever the 'cure' is.

I think the red light cures are BS.
People want to believe in things, so it's easy to find someone who will say it works.

However, I could see, where if you use red lights all over the room at night, and don't watch TV/computer/table/phone, that it won't make you sleepless like blue light is supposed to do.

Or you could turn off all the lights.

Sunset,
Actually there are a lot of studies that have been done that show benefit in a few areas, most especially in reducing inflammation.

I have felt the benefit myself. Keep in mind these are not the typical red lights you would put in your lamps at home. They are more akin to the laser light therapy used by medical practitioners for years. Something you would target certain areas for about 10-20 min per day.

FYI.. here is a link to one of the studies and a few lines from it below. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5523874/

"However one of the most general benefits of PBM that has recently emerged, is its pronounced anti-inflammatory effects. While the exact cellular signaling pathways responsible for this anti-inflammatory action are not yet completely understood, it is becoming clear that both local and systemic mechanisms are operating. The local reduction of edema, and reductions in markers of oxidative stress and pro-inflammatory cytokines are well established. However there also appears to be a systemic effect whereby light delivered to the body, can positively benefit distant tissues and organs."

This suggests not just any red light will do. You'd need to be sure your source is not emitting in the "disappointing" range.

Many wavelengths in the red (600–700 nm) and near-infrared (NIR, 770–1200 nm) spectral regions have shown positive results, however there is a region in between (700–770 nm) where broadly speaking, the results are likely to be disappointing. Recently blue and green wavelengths have also begun to be explored [5] but they have major problems with penetration depth. It is accepted that penetration of light into tissue is governed by both absorption and scattering by molecules and structures present in tissue. Both absorption and scattering become significantly less as the wavelength gets longer, so the penetration depth of NIR is maximal about 810 nm, and at longer wavelengths water becomes an important absorber and penetration depth gets shorter again [6].

Sunset,
Actually there are a lot of studies that have been done that show benefit in a few areas, most especially in reducing inflammation.

I have felt the benefit myself. Keep in mind these are not the typical red lights you would put in your lamps at home. They are more akin to the laser light therapy used by medical practitioners for years. Something you would target certain areas for about 10-20 min per day.

FYI.. here is a link to one of the studies and a few lines from it below. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5523874/

"However one of the most general benefits of PBM that has recently emerged, is its pronounced anti-inflammatory effects. While the exact cellular signaling pathways responsible for this anti-inflammatory action are not yet completely understood, it is becoming clear that both local and systemic mechanisms are operating. The local reduction of edema, and reductions in markers of oxidative stress and pro-inflammatory cytokines are well established. However there also appears to be a systemic effect whereby light delivered to the body, can positively benefit distant tissues and organs."

I'm a firm believer in the beneficial aspects of the Placebo Effect. If something is not harmful and is working for someone, then keep using whatever the 'cure' is.

Cultivating a habit of believing stuff that isn’t true is not a good one though.

I have never been to Amsterdam, but I am sure it would be therapeutic.

Actually it was a little creepy. At least to me. You can take the boy out of the scouts, but you can't take the Boy Scout out of the...whatever. You know what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom