Are you stooped?

I’m not at all, my dad turns 90 on Monday and is still ramrod straight. My mother died 3 years ago of lung cancer and was not stooped until her final 6 months.

I’m not at all, my dad turns 90 on Monday and is still ramrod straight. My mother died 3 years ago of lung cancer and was not stooped until her final 6 months.

Great role models and/or great genes!

My mom did not live so long (84) but was always conscious of her posture, and taught me the same. In her case (she said) she wanted to get every possible inch out of her very short height (5 feet 1.5"). But she also pointed out older women with "dowager's humps" as a condition, which everyone should try to avoid, and not just because it is unsightly.

her very short height (5 feet 1.5").
DW, at 5' 1" would regard her as a veritable giant. :LOL:

But she also pointed out older women with "dowager's humps" as a condition, which everyone should try to avoid, and not just because it is unsightly.

We recall seeing an old lady in Krakow, bent over as if she was permanently observing ants on the sidewalk....sad to see.

Probably a collapsed spine from osteoporosis.

We recall seeing an old lady in Krakow, bent over as if she was permanently observing ants on the sidewalk....sad to see.

Probably a collapsed spine from osteoporosis.

Quite likely.....whatever the cause it was debilitating, and we felt so sorry for her.

The really sad thing is that she could have had perfect posture, and still ended up bent over when vertebrae crumbled. Bad posture/kyphosis on its own can bring on height loss, but not the way osteoporosis can.

Quite likely.....whatever the cause it was debilitating, and we felt so sorry for her.

Thanks for the information, Nemo. Yeah mine is more like a slouch too. This gadget might help, but it's so comfy to slouch lol. I bought an inversion table several weeks ago, and now I'm in a habit of keeping my back straight(er) so my slouch has gotten a little better too, I think... I hope...

What’s your experience with the inversion table? Mixed reviews online, so I haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

This is very much the yoga standing or sitting posture. They even have you envision that string sometimes.

Yes, you will have this drilled into you (in the most gentle way) in yoga classes. While vacuuming the house yesterday, I kept reminding myself about my alignment so I didn't finish with a sore back.

Practicing yoga is the best thing I ever did for my long term health. I stick with the basic and Level 1 classes and get everything I need for core strength, posture, and flexibility. I was lucky to find an excellent, welcoming neighborhood studio although I'm taking only virtual classes right now.

No, not stupid, stooped.

I've become aware that I've developed a decidedly head forward posture over the years, probably from spending too much time here. I've found a number of YouTube videos with various exercises to strengthen the muscles that pull the head more upright, but have had limited success so far. Any success stories?

I was .. but not anymore. Thanks to my stretching chair.

That sounds scary, like the bed on which Procrustes stretched people.

"Procrustes, in Greek mythology, was the
cruel owner of a small estate in Corydalus
in Attica, on the way between Athens and
Eleusis, where the mystery rites were
performed. Procrustes had a peculiar
sense of hospitality: he abducted
travelers, provided them with a generous
dinner, then invited them to spend the
night in a rather special bed. He wanted
the bed to fit the traveler to perfection.
Those who were too tall had their legs
chopped off with a sharp hatchet; those
who were too short were stretched " http://dixiederivatives.com/Taleb/TheBedofProcrustes.pdf

I was .. but not anymore. Thanks to my stretching chair.

My mom did not live so long (84) but was always conscious of her posture, and taught me the same. In her case (she said) she wanted to get every possible inch out of her very short height (5 feet 1.5"). But she also pointed out older women with "dowager's humps" as a condition, which everyone should try to avoid, and not just because it is unsightly.

But I don’t think standing up straight alone avoids the bone loss (osteoporosis) associated with “dowager’s hump”.

Yes, you will have this drilled into you (in the most gentle way) in yoga classes. While vacuuming the house yesterday, I kept reminding myself about my alignment so I didn't finish with a sore back.

Practicing yoga is the best thing I ever did for my long term health. I stick with the basic and Level 1 classes and get everything I need for core strength, posture, and flexibility. I was lucky to find an excellent, welcoming neighborhood studio although I'm taking only virtual classes right now.
I was lucky to find a wonderful local studio, and just in time! As I noticed, about a year into menopause, a sudden loss of hip flexibility. About a year of regular Hatha Yoga classes completely reversed that and then some - I gained even more hip flexibility compared to pre-menopause. I was not a yoga beginner either having done yoga on and off for 20 years.

I believe she was lumping (no pun intended) kyphosis (which is brought on by slumping posture) with the hump caused by spinal fracture.

I'm quite worried about the latter, as I have a lot of bone loss. Since I've always been careful about diet, exercise, and posture, it seems to be genetic and therefore unavoidable. Those medications prescribed for bone loss are horrible - they interfere with the natural breakdown of old bone, do nothing to build new bone, and have all kinds of side effects to the point that I cannot take them. As usual, pharma does not pay very much attention to what is generally thought of as an "old woman's issue."

But I don’t think standing up straight alone avoids the bone loss (osteoporosis) associated with “dowager’s hump”.

Back
Top Bottom