Assistance with Dry Eyes

SunnyOne

Recycles dryer sheets
I guess with time, I've developed a case of dry eyes. Occasionally, my eyes itch or are watery, especially after I started sleeping with a ceiling fan.

My eye doctor also confirmed via an exam and of course, handed me sample drops and coupons for more..

My case is considered mild and I consider it mild. That said, at the current time, I only need help with occasional lubrication, not treatment.

Of course I have tried the sample drops - but also curious what has worked for others?

I use these:

https://www.refreshbrand.com/Products/refresh-plus

They are preservative free drops that come in a single use little vial. Each vial contains about ten drops and can be closed for future use, though I probably wouldn’t use it after a couple days after opening. I like them because it’s easy to have one in you pocket at all times but most important to me is that they are preservative free so they never irritate my eyes. Having them in my pocket at all times has helped several times when I’ve gotten something in my eye. It’s not enough product to flush the eye, but it has been great to have on hand when needed. Generally, I use them in the morning and maybe a time or two during the day.

They are available at a good price at Costco.

GenTeal Tears work the best for me. Packaging is pretty much the same regardless of brand. I use them occasionally, not routinely.

I take fish oil twice daily, use a compress at night to release the gunk(the natural oil) from my eyelids, and use Oust Demodex for cleaning my eyelids. I don't use drops. Once you get the gunk running with the compress you don't need drops.

I use Alaway for itchy eyes and Refresh Gel at night before bed for dry eyes. Both have been a big help.

I use these:

https://www.refreshbrand.com/Products/refresh-plus

They are preservative free drops that come in a single use little vial. Each vial contains about ten drops and can be closed for future use, though I probably wouldn’t use it after a couple days after opening. I like them because it’s easy to have one in you pocket at all times but most important to me is that they are preservative free so they never irritate my eyes. Having them in my pocket at all times has helped several times when I’ve gotten something in my eye. It’s not enough product to flush the eye, but it has been great to have on hand when needed. Generally, I use them in the morning and maybe a time or two during the day.

They are available at a good price at Costco.
I also use Refresh at the suggestion of my ophthalmologist, who said I have “the driest eyes he’s ever seen” due to a rheumatoid condition. The dryness was exacerbated when my cataracts were removed.

As Jerry points out, the single dose units are very convenient. If you need it regularly you’ll probably want the 0.5 oz bottle.

For me it seems to be linked to circulation. A slightly alkaline diet, posture exercises and yoga to reduce muscle tension in my upper body has been helping. I have also been correcting B12 and vitamin D deficiencies. Both of those and many other nutrient deficiencies have been linked to dry eyes. I've been doing Qi Gong, too.

I suspect too much computer time was a contributing factor for me, from staring at the monitor too long and drying my eyes out, while sitting too much and muscle tension from the mouse use decreased circulation to my head and eye area. I first developed this during the pandemic when I was on the computer more since we weren't getting out and about as much as we used to be.

Last edited:
Both DH and I use Refresh. I use Refresh Plus which has the single ingredient and is available at Costco. DH prefers the Refresh Optive Advanced with 3 ingredients. Costco doesn't carry it and I wait for my 30% off CVS coupons and stock up.

Pataday Once Daily Relief Allergy Eye Drops by Alcon, 1 drop in morning
Systane Ultra Lubricant Eye Drops, 1 drop in evening

Both recommended by eye doctor, using about a year no problems (knock on wood)

good luck finding something that works for you

Pataday Once Daily Relief Allergy Eye Drops by Alcon, 1 drop in morning
Systane Ultra Lubricant Eye Drops, 1 drop in evening

Both recommended by eye doctor, using about a year no problems (knock on wood)

good luck finding something that works for you

I also use Pataday when the allergies act up. They recently came out with an Extra Strength that has 3X the active ingredient and IMO, works much better. I believe it's probably close or at the prescription strength.

My eye dr recommended warm moist packs a few times a day and gently massage the tear duct area. And any lubricating eye drops.
I have found Systane Hydration preservative free works well, use at bedtime as it is a bit oily.

I get dry eye especially in the winter, and I like Nature's Tears. It's distilled water in a very fine mist spray bottle. I spray in my eyes and blink a few times and instant relief. It also nicely cools a rosacea flush. It comes in 1 oz and 3 oz size and the price is sometimes about the same so I watch out for that.

Natures Tears® EyeMist® - Dry eye EyeMist in a Spray

I buy it on Amazon.

Moist heat works nice, but you do it today to feel better tomorrow.
I use Systane Ultra eyedrops, about once per hour when things get bad.

I've been semi-successful trying to avoid resting my eyes on the pillow at night, where they might be held open while sleeping.

Avoiding AC directly at my eyes in the car helps. Driving is my worst case.

Nothing over the counter works for me. I’ve been using restasis twice a day for the past 4 years.

I use Systane Balance drops morning and at night. Flaxseed Oil capsule also 2x a day, moist heat pack in the morning with lid massage following to help unblock the clogged ducts. And most importantly, I drink LOTS of water, including 12-16 oz right before bed. When I get up in the middle of the night for the bathroom I drink a cup of water every time. If my eyes start to feel scratchy during the day I repeat any of the above more frequently. I also avoid caffeine, antihistamines and other meds that dry you out.

I didn’t always have to do all of these steps. But as my dry eye condition has worsened over time the doc has added another step to my regimen.

Wife and I both have dry eyes for years, possibly related to getting Lasik surgery. We have used Systane for about 8 years and have watched the price climb each year. We recently changed to Kirkland Signature Moisture Eyes Dry Eye Therapy Drops. They work just as well at less than half the price.

Back
Top Bottom