Bike riding and sore behind

mhk7

Dryer sheet aficionado
I like to bike ride...not excessively but 8-10 miles at a time...I have padded pants and a good seat but I still feel like I'm bruised afterwards.

Should the bike seat be level or tilted to the front or back?

Any suggestions welcome! Thanks!

Some helpful info here:

https://jimlangley.net/crank/bikefit.html

Proper handlebar adjustment is key, as well.

If there is a local bicycle shop nearby, they can be of some assistance in not only helping you adjust your seat, but also the handlebars.

Selecting the proper saddle is also very important based on the width of your "sit bones". Most bike shops will be able to help you with that.

And finally, some of that saddle soreness will take care of itself as you continue cycling.

Level.
But as CAndrew points out, there are many adjustments required.
Also, different bike short brands will be comfortable for some and not others. I swear by Pearl Izumi, my friend can't stand them. Try another brand.

A nice saddle along with positioning makes all the difference in the world.

Keep riding to tuffn up the tushy. It's all about seat time. Do not wear underwear under the padded shorts. The seams of the underwear create rub and pressure points that hurt.

It takes a little time to break in and get used to it before it’s comfortable. Before I hop back on the bike in the fall - ‘ouch’ those first few 5-6 rides. I have a flat non padded level seat on my road bike and wear bike shorts. Chamois cream aka bum butt’r is your friend!

We bought Cloud 9 bike seats a few years ago and no discomfort/soreness since. They may not be the sleekest looking seats but they sure make riding more comfortable. I'll take comfort over style.

Men's:
https://tinyurl.com/y48zcrpr

There are other styles available.

This looks like the seat I bought a few years ago. I like the seat, and having the front of the seat tipped down a bit seems to work best for me. YMMV

OP, I would strongly suggest that if you have a local, independent bicycle shop in your area that you engage with them to insure that your bike is fitted properly and adjusted for *you*. Don't make the mistake of getting hung up on any particular brand or style of saddle - or worse yet, order one online - until you have been fitted properly. A local bike shop will be able to help you out tremendously. Our local bike shop will not only fit customers with a saddle, but also exchange it for another if the customer feels it is not suitable.

Don’t have any advice, but following to get advice. I fell hiking last winter and landed on my tailbone. Riding my bike has been uncomfortable since.

OP, I would strongly suggest that if you have a local, independent bicycle shop in your area that you engage with them to insure that your bike is fitted properly and adjusted for *you*. Don't make the mistake of getting hung up on any particular brand or style of saddle - or worse yet, order one online - until you have been fitted properly. A local bike shop will be able to help you out tremendously. Our local bike shop will not only fit customers with a saddle, but also exchange it for another if the customer feels it is not suitable.

I ride thousands of miles nearly every year. Candrew has provided excellent advice. A bike store can provide a proper fitting. Riding position is very important. For example, learning too far forward, leg too straight at bottom of pedal stroke, leg not bent enough enough at bottom of the stroke, etc. is important for your riding style and comfort.

I would also say the saddle can make a difference but fit is the first step. There are many saddles that can work. Touring cyclists, who spend hours on their bike during the day, favor an old style leather saddle from Brooks. My wife and I use those for our tours. For our shorter, around town rides, we have less expensive saddles from Terry.

As for the clothes you wear, I think it is not very important for an 8-10 mile ride unless you are having a problem with chafing. In that case you might want to take a look at that.

To reinforce Candrew, I would start with fit and than saddle. Clothes and other solutions would be much lower on my list.

You already have great suggestions. Here's one question: How old are your shorts? I have 4 pair of shorts that I rotate through. Once I start feeling some post-ride soreness, I replace that particular pair of shorts.

We have "big butt seats" even though I have a small butt :)

I had a small-butt seat, even though mine was not.

I started out mounting it flat, but as my rides got longer I found a forward tilt was better for avoiding other bruising problems, especially on multi-day tours.

I never made the transition to bike shorts, just used regular workout shorts.

I agree that you should get professional fitted at a local bike shop with the seat at least once to know how it should feel. I see a lot of riders out with horribly misfitted bikes.

I also ride thousands of miles a year, and just bought a Serfas RX saddle for my mountain bike. So far, this has helped with the backside soreness I was having with my old saddle - plus, it's ergonomically designed to not crush the..er...areas that should not be crushed. (Hence the "RX" name..it's really good for men with prostatitis, BPH, etc as it takes pressure off an area that most saddles tend to increase pressure on)..

I fiddled with the seat/handlebar adjustments on my 29er MTB until I think I got it right. Your down knee should almost be straight when pedaling, and you should not be leaning forward too much on your wrists/shoulders. I had to get a new adjustable riser bar for my handlebars that raised the bars by about 3", and relieved some shoulder ache that came from longer rides. It also took care of my hands falling asleep.

I see so many adults on a bike that is too small, with the seat too low tend to that grumble about burning knees. BTW, the seat should be tilted forward a bit to get the full effects of the padding.

My hard, narrow, barely padded seat was immediately replaced by a Bell "Soft-tec" seat with room for the manhood, and suspended with extra cushion, and springs.

https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Comfort-Soft-Tech-Bike/dp/B0791CL5DT

Last edited:
I fiddled with the seat/handlebar adjustments on my 29er MTB until I think I got it right. Your down knee should almost be straight when pedaling, and you should not be leaning forward too much on your wrists/shoulders. I had to get a new adjustable riser bar for my handlebars that raised the bars by about 3", and relieved some shoulder ache that came from longer rides. It also took care of my hands falling asleep.

I see so many adults on a bike that is too small, with the seat too low tend to that grumble about burning knees. BTW, the seat should be tilted forward a bit to get the full effects of the padding.

My hard, narrow, barely padded seat was immediately replaced by a Bell "Soft-tec" seat with room for the manhood, and suspended with extra cushion, and springs.

https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Comfort-Soft-Tech-Bike/dp/B0791CL5DT

Most of your suggestions are right in line with what a bike fitter would do. Like a tailor, the bike fitter may help refine the fit.

I do disagree on one point. There seems to be logic around a soft saddle. But, saddle comfort in my experience is much more about fit and position. How it hits your 'sit bones' and for a man, the slight and proper tilt forward, makes all the difference. The cutout can be helpful,or so it seems, that comes in many brands.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the overwhelming saddle selection for cycling tourists, people who ride long distances day after day, is the Brooks B-17. It is hard leather saddle and many people say it takes about 200-300 miles to break it in. It is said that the leather conforms to the cyclists body over those miles. Many people will not buy a used one. My key point is that comfort seems to come more from fit than it does from padding. And that is probably why Candrew in an earlier post suggested buying a saddle at a bike store that will let you test it and/or accept a return. Like clothes, saddles should be tried on for size.

Lots of good advice here...and some bad. If you have to tilt your seat, the bike may not fit.
It’s the contact area of the seat on your butt that causes discomfort. So make sure the seat you have sits directly on your sit bones. Any additional contact area, like oversized seats, will just cause more chaffing, sweating and eventually discomfort when ridden for any length of time. Chamois cream, padded shorts worn without undies will also make a big difference. Balancing some weight onto your hands will also help, rather than sitting mostly upright. Nothing will help if the bike doesn’t fit you. So get a fitting when purchasing a bike.
All my advice is for someone biking at least an hour or more. Shorter than that, much doesn’t matter.

I think for the hard core cycling fan who buys a $2000 bike, and rides 1000s of miles, a hard, form fitting seat is the proper (and only acceptable) choice, but for the casual rider who rides 10 miles a day several times a month around the neighborhood, or campground, padded comfort is paramount !

I think for the hard core cycling fan who buys a $2000 bike, and rides 1000s of miles, a hard, form fitting seat is the proper (and only acceptable) choice, but for the casual rider who rides 10 miles a day several times a month around the neighborhood, or campground, padded comfort is paramount !

A $2000 bike sucks :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom