BJJ

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Did something that was pretty out of my element last night and took a Brazilian Jui Jitsu class. The class was free and I thought it would only be to observe, but they handed me a jacket/pants/belt (there is a term for this, but I do not know what it is) and I ended up doing everything the class did, but not too well compared to the 20-30 somethings who have been doing this for some time.

I must say it was a really good workout and I was wringing with sweat when done, and this morning I feel pretty sore. They told me it would probably take a month to get used to these workouts.

The reason I did this was because I was looking for something else to supplement my 3X weight lifting workouts that would help with my flexability. I think this might do it for me, but it too requires committing to 3-4 classes/workouts a week. The good news is that they agreed to extend the police/military discount to me since I am a local COPS volunteer. I'm going to chew on this for another day or so, but am leaning towards signing up for the program as it does provide structure and support system. If I was retired, the decision to sign up would be an easy one, but right now while I'm still working, I'm a little worried about biting off more than I can chew.

Claim is to earn a blue belt within a year. I have no idea about how these belts work progress wise, but moving up is not very important to me vs the health benefits of just taking the classes.

Did something that was pretty out of my element last night and took a Brazilian Jui Jitsu class. The class was free and I thought it would only be to observe, but they handed me a jacket/pants/belt (there is a term for this, but I do not know what it is) and I ended up doing everything the class did, but not too well compared to the 20-30 somethings who have been doing this for some time.

I must say it was a really good workout and I was wringing with sweat when done, and this morning I feel pretty sore. They told me it would probably take a month to get used to these workouts.

The reason I did this was because I was looking for something else to supplement my 3X weight lifting workouts that would help with my flexability. I think this might do it for me, but it too requires committing to 3-4 classes/workouts a week. The good news is that they agreed to extend the police/military discount to me since I am a local COPS volunteer. I'm going to chew on this for another day or so, but am leaning towards signing up for the program as it does provide structure and support system. If I was retired, the decision to sign up would be an easy one, but right now while I'm still working, I'm a little worried about biting off more than I can chew.

Claim is to earn a blue belt within a year. I have no idea about how these belts work progress wise, but moving up is not very important to me vs the health benefits of just taking the classes.
Sounds exciting. I have seen these classes, and they look demanding.

Ha

Congrats on signing up, and on making through your first class! I trained BJJ for about 10yrs, with some long breaks, and even spent a summer in Rio getting my butt kicked. I finally "retired" last year due to injuries and concern about further injuries.

You're embarking on a great journey. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Sounds exciting. I have seen these classes, and they look demanding.

Ha

Demanding for old geezers for sure:D

Congrats on signing up, and on making through your first class! I trained BJJ for about 10yrs, with some long breaks, and even spent a summer in Rio getting my butt kicked. I finally "retired" last year due to injuries and concern about further injuries.

You're embarking on a great journey. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Wow Onward, sounds like you know your way around the mat or octagon. I was grappling last night with a Brazilian who was quite a bit bigger than me, and he was just toying with me. I can just imagine what would happen if he wanted to hurt me:cool: Also, thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that.

Back
Top Bottom