Bone graft before dental implant?

I guess different people have different pain tolerances. My dentists in the 1960s used the old slow drill and no pain meds. It was agonizing. I always ended up with a tensed back and shoulders and white knuckles. Getting anaesthetic for a filling for the first time at age 22 was a game-changer. I did have one abscessed wisdom tooth removed in Budapest and they didn't use enough anaesthetic. I didn't stop to ask for more because I just wanted to get back out on the street sightseeing with DH. It was pretty awful, although she did a good job and I healed quickly.

So.. .. When they want to hack out two badly-infected teeth that have been root-canalled (which practically fuses them to the jawbone) and then screw in little titanium plates- yeah, knock me out, please!

Our dentist does have one patient who gets everything done without anaesthetic. We cannot relate!

Oh yes - no freezing is way out there!

Yes, you nicely summed up my memories of the dentist in the 60s. Those deadly slow speed drills with the drive belts on the outside. I remember freezing but no ASA/Advil or Tylenol premed to be sure. But even with the freezing the vibration of the drill was crazy and the heat generated didn't seemed to be blocked. There were no pre-numbing agents used prior to needle insertion for freezing and the agents used had very irritating pHs. And of course they were probably using 18G needles rather than today's 26G or 27G needles.

Have had one success and one that is still being worked on. Major problem. Never had general. Just local. Don't spare the cost. A failure can be very impactful on your life.

Had two implants in the last two years with bone grafts done at extractions both with Novocaine at a cost of $5000 each with an additional $1300 for the crown.

Back
Top Bottom