Cataract Surgery

I got a pair of those sunglasses for each surgery. Now I keep a pair in each of our cars' gloveboxes. One good thing about them is that they fit over regular glasses (that's why they are so spacious, I believe), so I could wear them over reading glasses to read on our deck.
You can buy this 'fit over' type of glasses in most drug stores - they usually are more attractive than the ones you get from your eye doctor.

I haven't had cataract surgery yet, and do wear FitOvers (a brand name) or similar competitor over my regular glasses. They work nicely, and are far less expensive ($20-$50) than getting a prescription pair of sunglasses.

Rita

Yes! I think that is exactly the kind they will give me. They will work on the way home, but you're right, they are sure ugly. :LOL:

I'm already looking at regular sunglasses online and there are so many cute ones available! :)

I would get the ones that have sides - Many sunglasses have no sides and the sun still hits your eyes from the side opening.

I would get the ones that have sides - Many sunglasses have no sides and the sun still hits your eyes from the side opening.

Good idea. I saw some really cute ones in a sort of wrap-around style, that would function really well that way (as well as being one of my favorite styles for looks!). :)

Woo-hoo!!! :dance: First eye is done. I have been home from the surgical center only a minute or two, and I am sitting in a darkened room wearing the type of sunglasses Moemg showed in her post.

It went really well, I thought. Nothing hurt. I was so scared that I was feeling a little detached, which helped with the fear. That, and the Versed I suppose. I wasn't really aware of any effects from the Versed, other than calming me down. Also it probably helped remove the pain. But, I felt 100% there at all times. None of those lovely Michael Jackson Propofol dreams; this just wasn't that strong I guess.

The best part is I can SEE. Everything is a little blurry out of that eye, but I am hoping that will resolve after a day or two. Tomorrow I have a post op appointment with the surgeon and he can let me know. But my biggest irrational fear, blindness, did NOT happen.

I get to spend the rest of the day doing nothing. Doctor's orders; rest, no lifting anything over 25 pounds, no cardio. I'm in my favorite easy chair and pretty happy that it's done. F is bringing me lunch and then he will stay with me as long as I need him. Probably just a few hours will do but we shall see. This is not something I would want to do without someone to help out for a little while.

Last edited:
Woo-hoo!!! :dance: First eye is done. I have been home from the surgical center only a minute or two, and I am sitting in a darkened room wearing the type of sunglasses Moemg showed in her post.
Good news! Hopefully you are treated like a queen for a day, the follow-up care goes well, and your next eye is even easier. :)

Good news! Hopefully you are treated like a queen for a day, the follow-up care goes well, and your next eye is even easier. :)

One thing's for sure - - I don't anticipate being nearly as scared when I go into surgery next week to have the second eye done. :D

W2R, That's great that all went well. Relax and let Frank wait on you. Keep us posted on your progress and don't forget your eye drops.

Reactions: W2R
Good news! I just realized how much I have enjoyed being able to travel the cataract circuit with you. Thanks. Your blur should clear up quickly. Let us know what the doc says.

Glad to hear that #1 eye went so well, W2R - I know you are relieved and happy. Now just remember to milk the dr's orders for all their worth ;-)

One down, one to go!!! Congrats on the success of the first surgery.

W2R, glad things went well on #1. I have a friend that had cataract surgery and said the difference is night and day.

Here's a stupid question. Post surgery, did you drive yourself home (like wearing special sunglasses)? Or did you need a driver?

Yay! My doc said just blink a lot, the blurriness is mostly from the antibiotic ointment and also the extra strength super long lasting pupil dilation drops. So glad you're doing well so far. IMO it's a miracle.

WR2,
Congratulations, seeing is a great thing! Happy this was so easy for you!

W2R, I'm glad to hear the surgery went well. Your vision should improve over the next few days. If you follow your doctor's orders, you should be fine. Relax and let F take care of you.;)

Thanks, all. It just occurred to me that (like BestWifeEver was saying), my eye is still very hugely dilated, which it needed to be for the surgery. Once it un-dilates some of the blur should improve, and also the subsidence of any possible swelling due to the surgery may help. Even with the blurriness, it really isn't a whole lot worse than it was so I pronounce the surgery a success. Not only is it a success, but it's OVER and there is a lot to be said for that. :D

The blurriness is already improving a little. Without my glasses, I can already read the "breaking news" headlines on local TV with that eye. OK, that's letters about 1.5" tall fifteen feet away, but still it is as good as my other eye without my glasses.

Last edited:
W2R, glad things went well on #1. I have a friend that had cataract surgery and said the difference is night and day.

Here's a stupid question. Post surgery, did you drive yourself home (like wearing special sunglasses)? Or did you need a driver?

No way! I needed a driver. Not only that, the surgical center would not even do the surgery unless I had a driver sitting there waiting to drive me home. They wouldn't even allow a taxi.

However, I didn't personally feel the need to have any help once he got me home and got me some lunch. I am sitting in my easy chair and perfectly fine. So, since a musician friend wanted his help with audio tonight, he can go and do that while knowing that I am perfectly fine. I am not to do anything strenuous, but sitting here in my easy chair seems to be fine.

Last edited:
Congratulations!

The morning after my first surgery, I got up and turned on the bathroom light. :nonono: WOW! I thought the lights of Broadway had been relocated to my apartment!! I did not realize my eye was still so dilated. That was probably 16 to 18 hours after the procedure.

W2R, glad to hear all went well with the first one, now on to the next!

The morning after my first surgery, I got up and turned on the bathroom light. :nonono: WOW! I thought the lights of Broadway had been relocated to my apartment!! I did not realize my eye was still so dilated. That was probably 16 to 18 hours after the procedure.

Wow, that long! I have a while to wait, then. I'll be getting my post-op checkup with the surgeon 20 hours after the surgery.

I am busily blinking as BestWifeEver suggested.... :D

Last edited:
+1

Take comfort in the knowledge the odds are now better than 50/50 you won't have to be a pirate on Halloween... :)

No pirate eyepatch for me! :D Not even on the way home from the outpatient surgical center.

No way! I needed a driver. Not only that, the surgical center would not even do the surgery unless I had a driver sitting there waiting to drive me home. They wouldn't even allow a taxi.

However, I didn't personally feel the need to have any help once he got me home and got me some lunch. I am sitting in my easy chair and perfectly fine. So, since a musician friend wanted his help with audio tonight, he can go and do that while knowing that I am perfectly fine. I am not to do anything strenuous, but sitting here in my easy chair seems to be fine.

Thanks for the info. Glad to know that once you got home, only an easy chair was needed :).

Back
Top Bottom