Cholesterol Drugs - what they're not telling you...

I requested my DR to run the test and he resisted. He stated that he did not have official guidelines for acting on the information provided by the test. Since the test provided him no information to act upon, he had no need for the test.

In the end, he did run the test for me and provided no comment.
SInce it isn't yet accepted medical practice I assume many, if not most, insurance companies will not pay for an extended lipid panel. I am also surprised that most PCPs won't run it. If you are in or near a big city you can get the test done yourself on your dime. I plan to ask next time I go, explaining that I want the data for my own information and am willing to pay incremental costs..

My PCP brought it up, after I'd been reading about it. I had to pay a extra due to no insurance coverage on it. It was mostly good news, but still not perfect. And obviously doesn't pin anything down completely. But it keeps me off statins a for now.

Where does one find doctors like this? Every Dr I've had in the last 20 years has practiced nothing but "Pop Science" strictly IAW what the "Man on the TV" says. Also they have been nothing but Pill Heads. What you always need is a new pill.
It seems as if getting the test done requires a doctor, so you could just try something like NMR LipoProfile a Cholesterol and Lipid Blood Test (not saying that one is optimal, or that you should use it, just saying that if you find ways to "buy the LDL-P test online", you will often get an option to find a lipidologist (doctor that knows something about the current science).

Oh, the TEST is not a problem. I can get just about any test I want at a private lab for cash-on-the-barrel-head. In fact I have had several health-assessing tests done completely off the books and away from the insurance and my regular doctor because I do not trust any doctor to give a real hoot about my health. None of them have ever indicated any such tendency.

ALL they ever want to talk about or test for is cholesterol then give some whimsical schpiel about "risk" that a 3rd grader could see through.

That's why I ask where can I find a Doctor like that. ie one who isn't suffering from "Doctor induced hysterical hyperlipidemia."

Oh, the TEST is not a problem. I can get just about any test I want at a private lab for cash-on-the-barrel-head. In fact I have had several health-assessing tests done completely off the books and away from the insurance and my regular doctor because I do not trust any doctor to give a real hoot about my health. None of them have ever indicated any such tendency.

ALL they ever want to talk about or test for is cholesterol then give some whimsical schpiel about "risk" that a 3rd grader could see through.

That's why I ask where can I find a Doctor like that. ie one who isn't suffering from "Doctor induced hysterical hyperlipidemia."
You don't say where you live, or at least I did not catch this. These doctors are around, but they are clearly a minority. My doctor suggested the NMR particle tests to me, and I had asked him if he thought I should take statins and he said no.

So these doctors exist.

Ha

I will be recommending the opposite of what most are recommending on this thread. You can look these 2 doctors up on the internet and then decide for yourself:

Dr Caldwell Esselstyn==How to Reverse and Prevent Heart Disease
Dr T Colin Campbell==The China Study

I also would recommend reading these books (The China Study and How to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease).

Both books are based on solid epidemiological and long-term clinical studies. Although the books approach the concept of what is a healthy diet from different perspectives, they come up with the same conclusion.

Actually, the China study has been thoroughly discredited so many times it is no longer even mentioned seriously in most places.

A quick web search for terms like "china study debunked" will yield a plethora of references.

You don't say where you live, or at least I did not catch this. These doctors are around, but they are clearly a minority.

The Greater Omaha Nebraska area

I had asked him if he thought I should take statins and he said no.

Better keep that DR/patient confidentiality. Anybody else finds this out and he'll get "Serpico'd"

The more I read, the more I wonder. When it was simply curiosity about eating healthily, it didn't feel so crucial. Neither DH nor i had high bp or cholesterol (that we knew of). Tests were always in the good range. Now, i feel huge motivation and responsibility to find the BEST way of eating.

Fuhrman, Esselstyn, McDougall, etc. disagree on some things, but i didn't find it confusing a year or so ago. Go plant based. Okay. A good friend (who has had two heart attacks by age 56) tried to tell me that the China Study was totally flawed, but I never followed up on learning more about that. Guess I will, now.

One thing that I keep coming back to is WHY is plant based after heart disease is evident so recommended? Seems like the Ornish diet and strictly vegan is what lots of people go to after a heart attack or is that just my imagination?

Have the New Atkins book ordered, along with the Carlson Super DHA (Thanks for that recommendation). The discussion confuses me, but it has also given me plenty of good leads.

Eco-Atkins sounds interesting. Just learned about it this week. The link is to abcnews.com, a report on a study of 44 participants/good results.

Also, just a couple weeks before DH's cholesterol test results came back (ugh), I had started us on the G-BOMBS that Fuhrman recommends...making sure we get Greens, Beans, Onions, Mushrooms, Berries, Seeds or nuts every day. A couple days ago, i have added a rule: no bread, potatoes or pasta.

I'll keep reading/learning. Thanks again.

Actually, the China study has been thoroughly discredited so many times it is no longer even mentioned seriously in most places.

A quick web search for terms like "china study debunked" will yield a plethora of references.

+1.

If you really want to learn about cholesterol, how it works in the body, and why the "war on cholesterol" by the traditional medical establishment is a bunch of hogwash, check out Chris Masterjohn's excellent website:

Cholesterol - You Can't Live Without It!

Cutting down/out on bread and pasta is probably a good idea, but to the extent you need starches (hint: how active you are), potatoes and rice are relatively good starches, and potatoes are rich in nutrients.

Avoiding animal fat by consuming seed oils, sweetener-loaded frankenfoods, and fat-free "cereal" (really?) is patently absurd. But a reasonably healthy and active human could likely survive the occasional bowl of Cocoa Puffs. :)

Cutting down/out on bread and pasta is probably a good idea, but to the extent you need starches (hint: how active you are), potatoes and rice are relatively good starches, and potatoes are rich in nutrients.
:)
I average 500 kc/day and up in exercise activities, and I have not eaten any starches in years. I don't think they are needed at all, but if I could process them well I might eat some as they are tasty as vehicles for sauces and butter. How I used to love cod baked with potatoes and onions and butter! Now I skip the potatoes, but potatoes do a very good job of grabbing juices.

Ha

Last edited:
I average 500 kc/day and up in exercise activities, and I have not eaten any starches in years. I don't think they are needed at all, but if I could process them well I might eat some as they are tasty as vehicles for sauces and butter. How I used to love cod baked with potatoes and onions and butter! Now I skip the potatoes, but potatoes do a very good job of grabbing juices.

Ha

According to my "research", heh, some folks bonk on too low carbs, and add some back to their diets. But some of these anecdotes are from folks on crossfit, or bodybuilders.

According to my "research", heh, some folks bonk on too low carbs, and add some back to their diets. But some of these anecdotes are from folks on crossfit, or bodybuilders.

Dammit, I just can't keep up with all the medical terminology these days. LDL, ACTH, BUN, Bonk. It's too much for me.

Ha
I've almost eliminated wheat bread from my diet and try to cut back on carbs in general. But so many of the veggies I love are high in carb / starch content: carrots, beets, parsnips, even peas are pretty high carb but I still eat a fair amount of these veggies, and the peas I'm picking in my garden right now are soooo good! When you say you haven't eaten any starches in years do you mean the just the big ticket items like bread, pasta, potatoes - or do you also avoid veggies like carrots, peas, etc?

Eating never used to seem this hard! :confused:

I've always seemed to be a carb person. I used to run a lot....still exercise a fair amount.....I just eat too much crap and drink too much beer. I tried the Atkins twice about 10 years ago.....you could have just stuck a fork in me and declared me dead....I was a walking zombie after about 3 days. There was just no way I could go through the day feeling that bad. I usually just need to cut down on the junk food/beer and I lose weight. Seems like there were a few studies that came out 5+ years ago with a way to test to see which diet works better for you. I was only a little high on the cholesterol levels.....so hopefully just cutting out chips (almost every day)....extra cheese.....and cut my ice cream in half will do the trick.

I've almost eliminated wheat bread from my diet and try to cut back on carbs in general. But so many of the veggies I love are high in carb / starch content: carrots, beets, parsnips, even peas are pretty high carb but I still eat a fair amount of these veggies, and the peas I'm picking in my garden right now are soooo good! When you say you haven't eaten any starches in years do you mean the just the big ticket items like bread, pasta, potatoes - or do you also avoid veggies like carrots, peas, etc?

Joe, your killing me! :) No pasta, bread, wheat, or potatoes allowed..Even the "nutritious nasty tasting" food of carrots, beets, and peas could be heading for the chopping block. What is left to eat? I have done myself good to about eliminate french fries and potato chips from my diet, but you will have to grab my pasta and potatoes from my cold dead heads. :)

Joe, your killing me! :) No pasta, bread, wheat, or potatoes allowed..Even the "nutritious nasty tasting" food of carrots, beets, and peas could be heading for the chopping block. What is left to eat? I have done myself good to about eliminate french fries and potato chips from my diet, but you will have to grab my pasta and potatoes from my cold dead heads. :)
As long as I can drink my meds I can deal with the food restrictions...

Joe, I would never recommend my diet-I started it because of suspiciously high blood sugars. And you are right, roots like carrots and beets are high carb-after all, they are called sugar beets, right? But things that work for me, I tend to take to the mat, and I found I had to go deeper with the axe than bread, pasta and beans. I may have fresh peas once or twice a year, usually when I buy an expensive bunch of lamb chops. A few carrots from time to time, and beets? only when I go to Whole Foods or some Russian Deli and get fermented beets which I treat like some people treat a hot fudge sundae.

It isn't easy to do this, but it is not particularly hard either. For me, once I get clear on how I rank attractive foods, activities, social feedback, health- my behaviors tend to follow accordingly. And then various forms of feedback help reinforce the habits.

Ha

Just got back from walking the dog in the park......just caught the end of a talk on NPR in the car about something they have coming out that will reduce cholesterol better than the Lipitor type drugs and might not zap the people who react badly to statins.....just caught the end so I don't know what it was. They seemed to think it would be on the market in about 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom