Colonoscopy before age 50..........

+1. Both times that I have done this, I was told to ingest some ridiculous quantity (4L, IIRC) of nauseating mixture. On both occasions I was physically unable to manage more than 2L, but after the procedures the doctor complimented me on the excellent prep. So the quantity is at least twice what is actually required, but I suppose it depends on the individual patient and they gross it up to allow for the worst cases.

I was asked what flavor I wanted and Cherry seemed the best option from the few choices offered. The pharmacy gave me a powdered drink mix along with a gallon plastic jug to mix it in. The cherry mix tasted pretty good at first. Eight 12 oz glasses later and I've noticed a distinctly greasy attribute to the cherry mix that I overlooked earlier. I managed to get about 2/3's down before it started wanting to come back up. Never again with that stuff.

The good news was that my doc also complimented me on my prep. :LOL:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/world-class-colonoscopy-52370.html

Hey, even if the directions are followed flawlessly, there may still be some "deposits" left behind. I'm just sayin'. Next time I'm going to figure out how to add jumping jacks to the prep.

I know of one candidate who, about halfway during the prep, developed severe light-headedness, some muscle tremors (shivering), and enough nausea to vomit a little. Unfortunately this was about 9 PM when the hospital's A-team had gone to bed and the on-call "help" line had the attitude of "Stay the course, you'll be fine". About 9:30 the candidate made the decision to call the whole thing off, had a bowl of Cheerios, and by 10:30 felt much better. No idea what caused the problems, and very little interest in re-creating the sequence of events that led up to them. Maybe the prep procedure will have changed by the time they're persuaded to try again.

? To the best of my knowledge, colonoscopies are a highly efficient means of detecting problems. And the cost (to the individual) is free, at least if one is a Canadian.

Well the individual pays through excessive insurance costs if the colonoscopies are done too often or if they lead to unnecessary treatments with the associated extra costs and potential medical side effects.

The current threshold for colonoscopies is 50, but from the title it looks like they are given at younger ages too. If it's a diagnostic requirement I can see it being useful, but as a routine matter it seems unnecessary and maybe even actively bad. This is a complex area of cost/benefit analysis, but it does strike me as an example of "treatment creep" that is a major issue for the excessive cost of US healthcare.

Recent studies of prostate cancer tests, treatment and outcomes indicate that it's probably best not to get tested. However, colon cancer might be different because of differences in the way it develops, but it also might not.

Last edited:
I know of one candidate who, about halfway during the prep, developed severe light-headedness, some muscle tremors (shivering), and enough nausea to vomit a little

I can understand that. I got lightheaded Monday night doing my prep- a couple of pills and a gallon of water/prep mixture. Dr said take at least half a gallon, but it didn't seem like it was working initially, so I took the whole gallon, a glass every 10 minutes for 2.5 hrs. I also got extremely cold about half way through, but felt ok once I finished the prep

Well the individual pays through excessive insurance costs if the colonoscopies are done too often or if they lead to unnecessary treatments with the associated extra costs and potential medical side effects.

The current threshold for colonoscopies is 50, but from the title it looks like they are given at younger ages too. If it's a diagnostic requirement I can see it being useful, but as a routine matter it seems unnecessary and maybe even actively bad. This is a complex area of cost/benefit analysis, but it does strike me as an example of "treatment creep" that is a major issue for the excessive cost of US healthcare.

Recent studies of prostate cancer tests, treatment and outcomes indicate that it's probably best not to get tested. However, colon cancer might be different because of differences in the way it develops, but it also might not.

It's usually only done prior to age 50 when there are certain risk factors present such as, in my case, a family history of colon cancer.

And colon cancer is generally much more problematic than prostate cancer.

Yep, a bowl of Cheerios would definitely help during the prep.

The literature that came with the prep stuff listed chills and nausea as possible side effects. I read that info cuz i was too hungry and weak to do much else, lol. Hopefully, next go-round, she will get a prep that does not do that.

Had my first one at age forty - my grandmother died of colon cancer. They found one polyp then - one of the potential cancer-causing kind. I'm 53 now and have had three since then. Second and third clean, then another polyp found during the fourth last year. Prep is a pain, but the worst part for me is being awakened after it's done from such a wonderful, deep sleep! But no amount of begging will convince them to let me nap there for the rest of the day! Everyone - get it done. Don't die like my grandma did. Not pretty. And in this day and age, almost totally preventable.

Had my first one this summer at age 26 to confirm a diagnosis of Crohn's disease. Not bad overall though I had some syrupy, liquid prep that tasted worse than anything. Will likely have to do it periodically if my condition worsens, but for now it's manageable and we'll roll with a CT scan with contrast before doing another big procedure. Luckily TriCare covered everything completely and my out of pocket was only around $150.

Being able to give an account was helpful in convincing my dad, 52, that he needed to get his since his mom passed from colon cancer in her early 40's. He's actually going in this morning so my fingers are crossed.

Did you intentionally omit the "in your"? :)
You really don't want me to whip out the instant replay, do you?

Yep, a bowl of Cheerios would definitely help during the prep.
The literature that came with the prep stuff listed chills and nausea as possible side effects. I read that info cuz i was too hungry and weak to do much else, lol. Hopefully, next go-round, she will get a prep that does not do that.
Hopefully.

My prep was completely different, including simethicone to cut down on the nausea part. It tasted like greasy Gatorade but it stayed down.

Had my first colonoscopy this year as I have IBS. The procedure did not bother me at all - in fact I was looking forward to it, maybe learn a thing or two.

Had my first colonoscopy this year as I have IBS. The procedure did not bother me at all - in fact I was looking forward to it, maybe learn a thing or two.

Umm, you know babies aren't meant to come out that way.... :)

I agree with the non-event comments above concerning the procedure. I'm on the 5 year schedule due to family health history.

If you are a football fan, I'd suggest scheduling it for the 1st thing monday morning. That way you can move a TV in line of sight of the room where you will be spending most of Sunday afternoon.

I had a heart scare in 2011. The ER doc ordered a CT scan (because I had severe pain in the gut in addition to atrial fibrilation). The CT scan was done immediately in the ER suite. The CT scan revealed that I had diverticula in my colon. This agreed with my colonoscopy in 2010. I also had had a couple of polyps which were excised during the colonoscopy so they did not appear in the ER CT scan. The diverticula didn't cause the pain in the gut. That turned out to be a pulled muscle.:)

Now I'm wondering why we need colonoscopies if CT scans can show the status of the colon? Of course, in my case, a couple of polyps were whacked during the colonoscopy. The colonoscopy doc said I could go 5 years until my next colonoscopy unless the diverticula begin to cause problems.

Now I'm wondering why we need colonoscopies if CT scans can show the status of the colon? Of course, in my case, a couple of polyps were whacked during the colonoscopy. The colonoscopy doc said I could go 5 years until my next colonoscopy unless the diverticula begin to cause problems.

CT scans expose you to radiation and it's yet unclear what the long-term implications of those levels are, but the less the better IMHO.
How Dangerous Are CT Scans? - TIME

Plus, if they see any polyps on a CT scan, you'd still have to undergo a colonoscopy to get them "whacked".

(Cost might be another disuading factor. I don't know the cost of either procedure.)

omni

Some thoughts on a messy procedure:

Polyps- Not necessarily a problem, as most are not cancerous or precancerous, but are removed (simple snip from the instrument) as a caution.

Indications of possible problems- Diarrhea, Pain, Blood in stool, genetics,
changes in bowel habits, or previous history. Often, ulcers cause blood. The procedure determines this.

Preparation- Typically brand "Colyte"... a gallon (4 liters?), often offered with flavor packet. Forces a "flushing" of the digestive tract. Until a few years ago, an alternate prep was "Phospho Soda" a "Fleet" branded phosphate mix that causes the same type of "flushing" effect. This was withdrawn from the OTC market by the company after reports of kidney damage. I believe there are some alternates offered, although none of the three doctors that I have had, would authorize them.

Prep failure- As mentioned many times in previous posts, incomplete cleansing may require "retake". Incomplete cleaning does not necessarily mean the doctor will not complete the colonoscopy, but remnants of stool in the system could mean that possible problems could be missed.

What happens "if" cancerous or pre cancerous polyps are found? The polyp will be tested for cancer cells. A positive result may require additional testing of adjacent tissues.

In my case, "more than 20 years ago", in an abundance of caution, the solution was a "sigmoid section", in which 6 inches of colon was removed, and the upper and lower sections of that part, rejoined. The operation was a 4 hour procedure, with a 6 inch scar, and recovery, that took about 8 weeks. Shortly after this, newer less invasive surgery was introduced, whereby, in cases of early discovery, the operation might not require the "section".... It depends on the extent of the problem.... Early discovery can result in only a minor inconvenience.

As to cost. This is interesting... It pays to shop around. While the cost of the procedure will likely be less than $1,500, where you have it done is a very important consideration. The facility cost may be as much a $2,000
in a hospital, where an endoscopy or ambulatory clinic may have costs that are $1,000 to $2,000. Add to this the anesthesiologist fee, perhaps $250. Additional costs will be involved for poly removal or other procedures. (polyps usually found in 25% of men, and 15% of women.)

An alternative to a colonoscopy is a sigmoidoscopy, which may cost as little as $300, and can be performed in the doctor's office. This only involves a portion of the colon.

Coverage for the procedure varies by healthcare provider, and varies from state to state. Some healthcare plans offer screening for free, others, may reimburse only if polyps are found. Based on the range of costs, I believe it might be prudent to go to an endoscopy center for an estimate, especially if you are paying for the procedure yourself. IMO, respect your own physician's recommendation, but ... trust and verify.

Ambulatory healthcare centers sometimes offer special discounts on colonoscopies.
The normal disclaimer.... personal observations only... not advice.

At the least, my recommendation would be to go to WebMD or Wiki, or any good medical website, to look over the symptoms and indications.

:) been there: done that

Last week I had 40% of a colonoscopy. It was incomplete due to twists, turns in the colon that the scope couldnt navigate. I had a lower GI (barium xray) this week to check the remainder of the colon. All is well, except I have a tortuous and redundant colon.(twist, turns, etc)

Given the choice of procedures, I would take a colonoscopy any day.

Back
Top Bottom