Concept2 One Month Report

:)
The C2 machines at the gym are parked in front of windows that overlook the pools and there are often attractive sights to be seen there.
That is ideal. I hope you can find a way to get some time in there as well as at home on your new machine. BTW, congrats on getting one.

One year I went to a gym in Everett Wa that mostly catered to the steroid crowd. But they had a few treadmills set up above a dancefloor where some gal was teaching belly dance. Superior!

About that music, I think I'll take the rockabilly.:)

Ha

Last edited:
I don't see how you guys can watch the scenery while working out on the C2! Must be motivation. When I am on the C2 I am generally watching the watts and thinking about my form, or trying to figure out how to keep the perspiration out of my eyes without rowing one handed. Maybe my preoccupation with what I am doing on the C2 is because I am more of a newbie on that machine.

Here's some music, Ha... an upbeat song that really got me going at the gym. I posted it on this other thread:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/songs-that-make-you-dance-51497-7.html#post1133637

I don't see how you guys can watch the scenery while working out on the C2!
Piece of cake. Doctors can do heart surgery while while keeping an eye on a cute nurse. Surely even a lesser mortal like me can row the C2 while watching girls.

Here's some music, Ha... an upbeat song that really got me going at the gym. I posted it on this other thread:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/songs-that-make-you-dance-51497-7.html#post1133637
Thanks for the tune, it's good. I remember it from when I was a kid.

Ha

In my new place my C2 is in a separate room from my computer/stereo/TV. So no more watching TV while I row. But I tried my Ipod with podcasts, and also with music. In both cases, the C2 made so much noise that I didn't want to turn up the volume enough to hear, because my hearing is still pretty good and I want to keep it that way.

But today I tried a pair of good shooting earmuffs that I mostly use to make grinding coffee a quieter job. I just put these on over my in-ear Sony earpieces and I hear no background noise at all. The volume I need while rowing is the same as when I am sitting quietly, so I think this will work well.

Also, I notice that I row comfortably with music about 15 sec/500m faster than without. I mean my perceived effort is equal, but my output is faster.

Ha

In my new place my C2 is in a separate room from my computer/stereo/TV. So no more watching TV while I row. But I tried my Ipod with podcasts, and also with music. In both cases, the C2 made so much noise that I didn't want to turn up the volume enough to hear, because my hearing is still pretty good and I want to keep it that way.

But today I tried a pair of good shooting earmuffs that I mostly use to make grinding coffee a quieter job. I just put these on over my in-ear Sony earpieces and I hear no background noise at all. The volume I need while rowing is the same as when I am sitting quietly, so I think this will work well.

Also, I notice that I row comfortably with music about 15 sec/500m faster than without. I mean my perceived effort is equal, but my output is faster.

Ha
We have a TV commercial here in Texas, where this guy taught three guinea pigs to row a skull, two of them are rowers and the third owe shouts out the cadence, row, row, row......

Its pretty funny and it makes me think of you each time it airs.

Edit to add link:

Last edited:
We have a TV commercial here in Texas, where this guy taught three guinea pigs to row a skull, two of them are rowers and the third owe shouts out the cadence, row, row, row......

Its pretty funny and it makes me think of you each time it airs.
As it happens, I look just like the rower in the stern. :)

Ha

In the middle section of my 1:10 workout today I was going at 38-42 SPM, depending on the music, and keeping good form and doing 2:40 splits with enough breath left over to sing along with Chuck.

I've seen you post you have about 500,000 meters in. Those numbers look odd to me. A normal work out would be at a SPM of 22 to 25, drag set to 3-5. A 2:40/500 pace sounds slow to me for a man with 500k done. A man in shape should be able to row near is weight in watts for 20+ minutes. A 2:40/500 pace = 85 watts so if you are 85 lbs you are fine.

There is lots of discussion at c2forum.com and info at concept.com and concept2.co.uk.

I think you can get a very thorough workout on the C2, especially if you set the resistance at 10, pay attention to your form, and then try to keep the average watts up. Set some goals for yourself.

Partly wrong.

Its not resistance its a damper setting that affects drag. The suggested setting is 3, just do that and forget it. A setting of 10 is a beginner error and typically hides technique errors.

The goal should be to row 20-24 SPM at a pace that you can maintain for 25 minutes. It's a cardio-endurance exercise, you need to put time in. With fitness you should be able to row your weight in watts for 25 mins.

You would start with 5 minutes, break for 1, then 5 more. Do that twice, then add 5 more. Repeat until you can get to 25.

BTW you wondered why they would buy all those expensive machines..... C2 rowers are cheap and reliable. Cost just $1000, have an excellent 2/5 year warranty and require little maintenance (wipe rail daily, oil chain monthly). Compare that to a treadmill at $4000, 1 yr wrnty, plus they need plenty of maint under hard use.

The C2 rower hits so much muscle, legs, back, shoulders, arms. The treadmill and bike... no where near as much.

Lots of info at the Concept2.com and Concept2.co.uk sites.

I've seen you post you have about 500,000 meters in. Those numbers look odd to me. A normal work out would be at a SPM of 22 to 25, drag set to 3-5. A 2:40/500 pace sounds slow to me for a man with 500k done. A man in shape should be able to row near is weight in watts for 20+ minutes. A 2:40/500 pace = 85 watts so if you are 85 lbs you are fine.

There is lots of discussion at c2forum.com and info at concept.com and concept2.co.uk.
Thanks so much. I do hope you will allow me to continue my feeble efforts?

Ha

Last edited:
A man in shape should be able to row near his weight in watts for 20+ minutes.
I've been using this formula and sticking to this guideline, frankly I think this C2 rower doesn't offer much of a workout. I weigh 12.5 stone.

Thanks so much. I do hope you will allow me to continue my feeble efforts?
:ROFLMAO:

Oh wait, what if you don't get the go-ahead? Will you have to sell your C2?

On a more serious note, for those interested, a decent number of used, but relatively brand-new, Concept2 rowing machines will be on the market after the CRASH-B in February. Pick-up is in person in Boston so it's appeal may be limited based on the geography, but if you live in the area the discount is significant and worthwhile if you're interested in purchasing. Concept2 CTS: C.R.A.S.H.-B. Offer

Finally, here is sound information on what the damper is all about, and how to ago about tuning it to meet your needs/desires:

Crossfit Journal article "Indoor Rowing - Damper Settings and Workout Intensity" www.concept2.com/us/commercial/crossfit/CFIT_April07.pdf

And, a brief version here: Concept2: Damper Setting & Workout Intensity, along with how to "fine-tune" with drag setting Concept2: Understanding Drag Factor, and a slightly different explanation (especially debunking the "higher resistance is a better exercise" idea) at the UK Concept2 website: Air Resistance Explained - Indoor Rower - Concept2

Every machine is different, as is ever person who rows, and setting the damper at 3 and forgetting it is not the right way to use the machine.

And, if you're not getting a good aerobic workout on the evil rowing gadgets- you're not doing something right. More than likely the problem is not rowing with enough intensity (read speed and duration, not damper setting). It's like running - if you want a better workout you have to go faster, longer, etc.

If you want a killer workout do some intervals. Two period of Tabata intervals during a 30 minute workout kicks my butt and can put my heart rate into the range of 85-90%+ of theoretical max.

Last edited:
Thanks, Leonidas!

The Crossfit Journal article was interesting, and among other things it said
If your goal is to train for maximum power output, I suggest trying different damper levels and drag settings, while improving your speed, form, and muscle coordination, to discover where you can achieve the highest power output. This will be where you are able to get your best time for a test distance.

When I was riding the Concept2, my goal was to train for maximum power output in this way and I thought I got pretty good power for an old lady. The power levels I was rowing at were wimpier than the "feeble efforts" :D of Haha, which impressed me greatly, but still I was happy with my workouts.

Jan 2012 Shape magazone has a short article on a 20 minute rowing workout. If you can't go as fast as the stated paces back them all off by the same amount. I think it's a nice looking workout, kind of a fartlek aka "speed play". Also includes technique tips.

It's online here Cardio Workout: 20 Minute Rowing Machine Routine - Shape Magazine

BTW the rowers in the pictures from the fitness center are the older Model C. They were last built in 2003. Lots of them are still in use, they really last.

Stoned, I weigh... what was the question again?

Off topic but this "Concept W" meltd a few pounds off me. Cutting the wood, then stacking it, then lugging it to the stove, then carrying the ashes out...

Little wonder past generations welcomed gas, fuel oil and electric heat :)

Attachments

• Snow 018.JPG
    Snow 018.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 5
Off topic but this "Concept W" meltd a few pounds off me. Cutting the wood, then stacking it, then lugging it to the stove, then carrying the ashes out...

That stove looks like it can take a pretty big stick.

Ha

Wow! That sure would be good exercise. Hopefully you have plenty of excess trees on your property, and hopefully they aren't too far from the stove.

For pure luxury, I hire someone to mow my lawn while I go to the gym (and pay for that). Makes no sense, I suppose, since I lose about $150/month by putting this arrangement in place instead of just mowing for exercise. I like it, though. A gym workout is predictable and just the right intensity, and so gives me better results without overdoing. Also it is in the air conditioning.

That stove looks like it can take a pretty big stick.

Ha

Officially it burns logs up to 26". I crank it up full blast and think of palm trees swaying in the ocean breeze...

(You have the rigth idea Ha, get your exercise on a rowing maching and let the HVAC take care of conditioning the houes :) )

Last edited:
Wow! That sure would be good exercise. Hopefully you have plenty of excess trees on your property, and hopefully they aren't too far from the stove.

For pure luxury, I hire someone to mow my lawn while I go to the gym (and pay for that). Makes no sense, I suppose, since I lose about $150/month by putting this arrangement in place instead of just mowing for exercise. I like it, though. A gym workout is predictable and just the right intensity, and so gives me better results without overdoing. Also it is in the air conditioning.

Too much exercise actually; I was more handsome as a fat boy, LOL!

I should get back in the lawn service business. I used to get $2 to cut lawns that averaged about 45 minutes with a 20" push mower. But I was pleased with the money- then :cool:

Too much exercise actually; I was more handsome as a fat boy, LOL!

I should get back in the lawn service business. I used to get $2 to cut lawns that averaged about 45 minutes with a 20" push mower. But I was pleased with the money- then :cool:

Having one's lawn mowed and edged costs $25-$35 here, and from what I understand, more than that in many locations. For those who are fit enough to handle it (not me), mowing lawns could provide a nice income supplement. My lawn guy has about a dozen on the same block, so he just mows from one lawn to the next without even having to pause.

On another topic, went to the gym today. It seems like I get to a certain point in my weight lifting, which doesn't feel like the maximum for my particular body, and then either I have injuries or get sick or something that sets me back. Then I have to build back up to where I was. Most recently it was my "Chest Cold from Hades" in December and early January. I tried to do my best but was weak as a kitten so used lower weights, and that set me back quite a bit so that I am trying to build back up to where I was, once again. One of these days I'll get beyond that point (or else I'll just accept that I have reached the design limit for my body; I guess that must exist).

Last edited:
One of these days I'll get beyond that point (or else I'll just accept that I have reached the design limit for my body; I guess that must exist).
As I understand it, that happens when you can bench your weight.

I'm not sure what purpose that serves, but that seems to be a standard...

Back
Top Bottom