Considering a retirement move out of town/state

motley

Dryer sheet aficionado
Anyone? I near such a decision. Moving always sucks in the extreme, but more so in one's later years as by that time you feel like you should be done with all that.

Anyone? I near such a decision. Moving always sucks in the extreme, but more so in one's later years as by that time you feel like you should be done with all that.

We were going to move to Missouri when we retired (back in 2009), but decided to just stay put. I was 61 when I retired and I agree with what you are saying. I think whatever you decide to do, you may want to settle in your final retirement location before you reach those later years.

In the last 12 years, all during retirement, DW and I moved to 3 different states. It has actually been a good experience. It did require some work and creativity. Some of the things that have worked for DW and me include:

+ asking our existing friends who they know in our new town or reasonably nearby and asking if they can provide an introduction. They always know someone. We contact them before we move. The majority agree to at least meet. They all try to help with our move providing advice. And some become immediate friends.
+ Your new friends will introduce you to other friends.
+. Becoming active in hobby’s or organizations. For us bicycling, pickleball, hiking has led to meeting new people. And some have become close friends, but not all, even after we moved. But DW and I must be the ones to take the lead for building the relationship. New aquanauts seem uneasy ro grow the relationship, initially which was an important lesson for us to learn. So we initiate things like getting together for dinner or another activity. That is not always successful but it has worked well for the most part. A successful example of building friendships coming up is a 7 day self organized bicycle tour with 2 couples from 2 moves ago.
+ Try not to miss an opportunity. In our current location, we are renting in an area of busy young professionals. Neighbors who are not interested or have time to build friendship networks. But we learned from our landlord that there was a couple, closer to our age but not retired living a few units down. The landlord introduced us and we were lucky to share some interests. We continue to socialize and they have introduced us to others

It is work and it is not easy. There is success and rejection. But, I hope these thoughts and ideas assist in making a move a positive experience for you as it has for us.

Last edited:
We lived in 3 different states while I was w*rking. We were going to move for RE, and even bought some property to build on. In the end, we decided to stay where we were due to the high cost of building what we would have wanted, and DW had a large social circle where we were.

I am 90% committed to a move out of state, nearer family, in the next couple of years. That sentence is ... scary to me. I have lived here 45 years. My friends are here, and my knowledge of the outdoors and birdwatching sites I frequent.

However, I am single and past Medicare age. I have family who are willing to help out as I get older (right now, everything healthwise is peachy, but it won't stay athat way forever). I want to do my part to make it easier on them. My chances of making friends and a new life are greater if I move now than later.

And - I keep reminding myself - things won't stay the same here either. My friends are aging along with me. They won't always live in the same places either. My driving is deteriorating. Change is coming, either way.

Housing is daunting. I love my place now. I have had two places I was considering in the new state sort of evaporate as possibilities. You'd think that starting early would enable you to find the perfect location, but finding a great place seems to require near instant flexibility in grabbing it.

We moved from Illinois to Tennessee last June. This was a fresh start for 2 widowers that lived 2 1/2 hours apart and met online. We lived together for 2 years in Illinois and then made the move to Tennessee. After 8 months here we feel the move was a good one. Expenses are much lower in this area and even the government employees are friendly here. The winters are less severe and the elevation makes summers a little more mild. We have decided to check in 2-3 years and decide if it is a permanent location change. We may also try a new location for the adventure.

VW

I retired nearly 5 years ago and we've moved twice in past 3 years. First move (1000 miles away) was a huge mistake and we were very unhappy with where we were living. After 16 months, we moved a 2nd time (2000 mile move) and extremely glad we did. We're as happy as we can be in our present location. Do what's best for you. Moving is hard work, so take your time getting it done. Finding a reputable mover makes a much easier.

I would move more often if it wasn't such a big expense. Sometimes I almost wish for a Reacher type lifestyle where I just take my toothbrush.

But to move would require selling property, selling or transferring registration on 2 boats, 1 vehicle, 3 trailers, 2 snowmobiles. The new state would want fees for some of those registrations and the old state likes to put an excise tax on homes when you sell. Also there is ACA to consider.

Yeah, the Reacher toothbrush is the way to go.

Have you already retired? If not, retire first, wait a year, and then move. Don't do both at once. Don't move before you retire either. Your interests may change. The things we think we want to do every day once retired often do.

I did whole house moves at 70 and 80 years of age. Once you throw out EVERYTHING you will never use again, it's refreshing!

https://www.seniorforums.com/threads/stay-put-or-move-to-senior-apartments.86290/post-2703015
About a year and a half ago, we discovered some beach side apartments. I was a few miles from where my wife grew up and it was like coming home for her.
We lived in a +55 MHP for about 15 years, near a smaller town of about 30,000. We are in the process of selling are home, and every time IU go up there it is like a ghost town.
Now were are close to markets and many restaurants, plus our building has an elevator-no steps to climb. There is always something going on here, whether it be people walking their dog, or on the beach. I have posted the view from my window next to my PC.
On a clear day I can see two of the Santa Barbara Channel Islands, and on a clear light I can see the flash of a lighthouse 15 miles away

We've been gradually transitioning with a dual home scenario over several years - in part to test drive the new location. Past 30 years we've lived in a VHCOL megacity for work. Now entering RE, our weekend home will become the primary home and we'll sell the city home (then rent/buy a pied-a-terre). This is a very expensive way to go about it, but worked for us, as my RE date had been in question for a long time. And the added expense has been more than offset by the significant gain in value of the city home and very cheap financing, so it's probably going to be a wash once the dust settles.

It depends where you are moving from. It is pretty common to move from expensive area into more affordable place before the retirement.

I moved 1500 miles, leaving the old state on the last day I worked. I was only in the old state for approx 8 years, not enough to put down any real roots; also no family in the area. Moved to be closer to family in new state.

I would move if you have something to gain from moving that offsets the costs and hassles of moving. If you put it off, you may not be able to move at a later date.

We used to live in a relatively LCOL area on the Colorado Front Range, but it transitioned very rapidly to HCOL. Also, it became mega-crowded and mega-aggravating to live there. Sometimes by staying put, you end up "moving" involuntarily! Keep that in mind as you plan. Look 20 years out.

During the pandemic, both of us became eligible to WFH, so we jumped and moved to the western slope of Colorado, where things are *MUCH* better. Now, we already live where we want to retire.

Our kids understand, one of them had already left the state and the other is thinking of it. They love to visit.

I'll never understand why someone would voluntarily live somewhere that they have to schedule their entire life around traffic patterns. NOPE. Find somewhere that is not overcrowded, and is not likely to become over crowded during your lifetime. I was reading just yesterday about Dawson County, Georgia, which used to be a great place and would have been perfect for us, but is now a blown-out boomtown area with all of the aggravations of suburban Atlanta.

The younger you are when you move, the longer you have to recover if it doesn't work out. I had a relative that left the Chicago area for Knoxville, hated it, and moved back. If they had been older, they probably would have been stuck down there.

We are doing the 100 mile move within the same state plus I will be building that house.
It is quality of life change for us.
from Rural ---> 1.5 miles to everything
No view ---> big views in all directions
40"of rain ---> 16"
Old home with no path for improvements ---> new digs of our own design
Family is a little farther away. We were never moving closer to the big city, and they are in the middle of it.

I have lived in 5 states because of either my husband’s or my career. 27 years ago I moved to Reno for a job and absolutely love it. I have wonderful friends and one of my sons lives here. It has doubled in size since coming and is one of the fastest growing cities in the country. The col has also increased quite a bit.

I would never consider moving at this stage and my support system is very important. I actually found moving to a different state exciting when younger but now would view it as a nightmare.

I moved abroad to be closer to family about 8 years into early retirement. I had not planned to move at all in retirement but, due to some unforeseen events, the opportunity presented itself and I took it.

Moving sucks for sure, but it was for the better as far as I am concerned. Because moving abroad is particularly expensive, I had to let go of the bulk of my belongings - I took virtually no pieces of furniture with me. It was definitely freeing. My quality of life has increased tremendously. Personally I moved from a lower cost of living area in the southeastern US to an area which regularly appears in the top 10 of the most expensive places to live in the world. I had to downgrade from a large house to a small condo but it was well worth it.

I did whole house moves at 70 and 80 years of age. Once you throw out EVERYTHING you will never use again, it's refreshing!

+1 on this. From 2011-15 we bounced around after selling everything and it was freeing. We just purchased what we truly needed for the time and sold it when we were done. It also gives you a new perspective on what you really need, especially size of home and how much crap you really need.

We're near DD & family now and this is the longest time we have lived anywhere. It's an easy place to make home base for now and maybe we'll live part time in slow travel spots eventually. Enjoy the journey.

We are considering a move out of state, but I don't see it happening this year. I had wanted to rent for a while first, but DH does not have much interest in that.

We quit our jobs and left the Seattle area in '99 and moved to "the middle of nowhere, Montana". Still there (winter snowbirds now). Would save well over $5k in taxes by moving out of State. Montana is not a retirement tax friendly state. We're not sure if we want to move again just to save $5k+ in taxes.

We quit our jobs and left the Seattle area in '99 and moved to "the middle of nowhere, Montana". Still there (winter snowbirds now). Would save well over $5k in taxes by moving out of State. Montana is not a retirement tax friendly state. We're not sure if we want to move again just to save $5k+ in taxes.

Are you certain you would actually save $5k? Montana doesn't have a sales tax, right? Seattle is 10%. If you spend $50k a year in the Seattle area, there goes your $5k saving on income tax right there.

Are you certain you would actually save $5k? Montana doesn't have a sales tax, right? Seattle is 10%. If you spend $50k a year in the Seattle area, there goes your $5k saving on income tax right there.

No way in Hell would I ever consider moving back to Seattle or even WA. Montana taxes Social Security, 401k withdrawals, partially taxes pensions. SD (lots of RV'ers claim that as their residence) would be a possibility for tax purposes, but the hassle of moving to save $5k doesn't seem worth the move.

The sales tax factor is tough to weigh up front, sales tax not only varies by state, but by county and municipality, at least in Colorado where we live. We live in an unincorporated area. The sales tax in the surrounding towns is 8%-9%, but we pay only 4.5% (state+county) on anything delivered to our house. Also, in Colorado, vehicles are taxed based on your house location, so we save a ton when we have to buy something big. We get a LOT of deliveries.

People in states with no income tax like to brag about that, but every state I have seen that doesn't have income tax, has property taxes that far exceed Colorado's. Colorado state income tax is 4.4%, but our property taxes are far less than half of Texas and Florida. You do have to be smart though, some specific subdivisions in Colorado have been given the power to collect property taxes over and above the state and county. "Metro Taxing Districts" are absolutely a racket. Let the buyer beware if you are looking for a house in Colorado. https://www.denverpost.com/2019/12/05/metro-districts-debt-democracy-colorado-housing-development/

Back
Top Bottom