Cost For Dental Checkups w/o Insurance

Our last bills were $127 for a cleaning and $187 for cleaning and x-rays. HCOL Colorado town.

Yours is very high IMHO.

Our dentist charges $112 for the cleaning, $94 for bitewing X-rays, and $64 for a routine exam, so $270 all in for a typical visit. That's about average around here as far as I know.

We have dental insurance that is subsidized by DW's former employer, so we don't pay too much of that, but we like our dentist so much that we would gladly pay full freight if needed.

We have the corporate handcuffs that pay for all xrays & 2 cleanings annually. When we cut the cord again, we'll likely be going back to Mexico for this. We used to pay about $10-20 for cleanings & didn't really have anything else needed, but it's a fraction of the cost & it's 1 mile from the beach.

Friends' daughter got her braces & all visits needed for probably 20% of the states from the same person.

We have the corporate handcuffs that pay for all xrays & 2 cleanings annually. When we cut the cord again, we'll likely be going back to Mexico for this. We used to pay about $10-20 for cleanings & didn't really have anything else needed, but it's a fraction of the cost & it's 1 mile from the beach.

Friends' daughter got her braces & all visits needed for probably 20% of the states from the same person.

Where in Mexico? I frequently go scuba diving in Cozumel and based on what fellow divers have told me, I wouldn't hesitate to have major work done there.

I pay $111 for a checkup w/o x-rays, $188 for a checkup w/ x-rays

My new dentist in rural NW PA charges $224 per year for 2 cleanings and exams + all X-rays needed. That also includes teeth whitening according to info given to me. I did not use that service.

Just went for a 6-month check-up, cleaning, and x-rays. Most of my gums are 1-3 health, and 2 specific parts are a 4 but can be reversed. The technician said to get a water pic you can use in the shower, less messy. This will take the place of floss. The dentist discussed some minor things to keep teeth healthy but everything looks good. $210. I look for an open discussion, lots of questions answered. That's worth the cost of that exam.

I use my Dentist's "smile club" which costs $400/yr and includes 2 thorough cleanings with laser gum treatments, 2 exams and full mouth x-rays once a year and also includes 20% off any other work. If you include the discounts I've received from the crowns I've gotten in the last few years, the routine maintenance has been free.

$300/yr for 2 cleanings, 2 exams and a panarex (1st time) and bite wings annually. And 30% off standard prices. When he proposed work, I checked his prices, and they were in line. Whether another dentist would have been "ain't broke don't fix it" came into play once, and I did it without a second opinion because it wasn't much money. He's always got something he wants to fix, but isn't pushy... just says "they'll give you a treatment plan for that, and you can call for an appointment, but it's no hurry".

DW pays $26/mo ($312 annually) at a different dentist for the 2&2+annually x-rays

We pay $350 annually and it includes x-rays and two cleanings.
The year she lived with us and didn't have insurance, our daughter bought a similar plan from our dentist for about the same price.

I'm in a HCOL area, and this is what my dentist charged last year:

hygienist/cleaning: 215
dentist checkup: 150
bitewings: 140
periapical: 80ish

The dentist also offers different levels of membership plans. The cheapest covers 2 routine visits for cleaning/checkup/xray, plus 1 emergency visit, plus a 10% discount on treatment and costs more than $700/year. I don't remember what my insurance costs but I think it's less than that. It fully covers the cost of the cleaning visits.

I pay about $190 each for my wife and me. That includes a cleaning, x-rays, and an analysis and inspection by the dentist. We go aboouut twice a year.

I think ours seems reasonable. If I were in the market (and the way I found our place) I'd call around for first time specials. Mine was $99. In my experience everyone offers a first time special. My initial plan was to do this every year but I found our place to be comfortable and affordable, so we've been back.

My last appointment in March here in Salt Lake City for cleaning, exam, X-rays and filling was $238.
Cleaning and exam is $ 105.

Last edited:
Our last dentist in southern California charged $120 for cleaning, $42 for xrays every other year, and nothing for the "exam" which he did once a year (DW goes twice, I go 3x per year). Oh, and we got 10% off, either for being geezers or patients for 20+ years, not sure why.

New dentist here in Evansville gets $110 or so for cleaning, about $45 for (digital) xrays, and $55 or so for his "exam" which takes 60 seconds or so, and is mandatory every visit. Since I go more often than twice a year, he agreed to do it every other time.

This is about the only thing we've found to be more expensive here ...

My dentist offers an in house plan for $402/year that covers routine care (cleaning every 6 months and x-rays as needed) and offers 15% off non routine care. That is less than I was paying for my work dental insurance and covers more. I would utilize your dentists in house plan.

We go to our local hospital dental clinic. $40 for cleaning, X-rays and check up. $140 if you need work.

It does take a long time for an appointment if you have a problem, however. But we e been happy with it these past 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom