Crown came loose...need to fix soon?

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The crown (with a post) in my mouth came loose and is out. I went to a dentist (not my regular dentist as I'm out of town) and tried to have it recemented but didn't (another story...talk about price gouging).

The dentist did say, since I had a root canal, that it's sealed so there should be not problem not having it worked on for about a month.

Is that true, or would I risk infection if I don't have it cared for?

Right now I'm leaning toward getting an implant as this has been (as my regular dentist calls it) a "torture tooth."

I had a similar thing happen, and my regular dentist didn't seem like he was too worried about it (though I think I saw him within a couple of days or so).

Why not call your regular dentist and ask? I'm sure he would be glad to have someone call you back.

This has happened to me several times. My dentist just tells me to get a tube of Fixodent at the drugstore to glue it back in place until I can get in to see him. The stuff works generally for 24 hours, then you simply reapply it. No big deal.

Reading this thread and the tooth, quite frankly is scaring me. I haven't really given any thought to teeth problems as I age. I've been lucky and have had no problems, but darn, if something goes wrong this stuff sounds expensive to fix and dreadful if you don't!

Reading this thread and the tooth, quite frankly is scaring me. I haven't really given any thought to teeth problems as I age. I've been lucky and have had no problems, but darn, if something goes wrong this stuff sounds expensive to fix and dreadful if you don't!

It's always good to have a little slack in the budget during retirement, and an emergency fund as well. The same is true while working.

This has happened to me several times. My dentist just tells me to get a tube of Fixodent at the drugstore to glue it back in place until I can get in to see him. The stuff works generally for 24 hours, then you simply reapply it. No big deal.

At first, I got some dental cement at CVS pharmacy. Unfortunately, since the crown has a post sticking out, no way am I able too see and manuever it in place (it's a back/left tooth). If it was just a crown, no post then that would be a lot easier.

I'll be going home in a few days, so expect to see my regular dentist soon.

The crown (with a post) in my mouth came loose and is out. I went to a dentist (not my regular dentist as I'm out of town) and tried to have it recemented but didn't (another story...talk about price gouging).

I had a crown that came loose once but didn't pop out. I called my dentist and got an appointment right away. He popped out the crown, inspected it, and declared it in perfect shape. He cleaned off the old cement on the existing stump and re-glued the crown. I don't recollect what the cost was, but it was a LOT less than a new crown.

BTW the crown was about 20 years old when it came loose.

I had the same thing happen, whole crown and post came out. Dentist took x-ray and said what was left of the tooth (below the gum line) looked cracked. Suggested an implant and re-cemented the one that came out. I am planning on getting the implant done this year near June/July so I can wrap the price over two years since it will max out my dental insurance. I believe they are in the $3k range.:confused:

I cannot believe all the people here who are getting implants, or rather, I cannot believe that I haven't had to get one first. I have always had terrible teeth, starting at age 7 with 6 fillings, progressing to 64 new cavities and 4 root canals necessary when I was just 18 (and that was in the day when root canals were much more of an ordeal than they now are). I don't even know how many root canals I have had by now. I had one tooth restored with a post. But really, I have had very few problems in recent years. In the past decade or so, maybe 2-3 new crowns but that is about it. No implants.

Hopefully, I can delay getting to the implant phase long enough that they will be easy, painless, and cheap by the time I have to have one.

Last edited:

Hopefully, I can delay getting to the implant phase long enough that they will be easy, painless, and cheap by the time I have to have one.

Wouldn't that be nice? Seems like the price tag is going up though. On the good side, a day after getting three teeth removed, bone grafting on one side and sinus augmentation on the other I'm very pleased with the lack of pain and bruising. I expected to look pretty beat up but only have a somewhat Godfather-esq cheek droop. Now to wait for 4-6 months till the bone is ready for the posts to be placed, then another 4 months till the crowns go on. Corn meal mush - mm-mmm good. Three quadrants worked on, gums full of stitching, and I took 3 ibuprofen yesterday, the first 2 in a preventative manner, and none today. Props to the surgeon!

They do make fast mini-implants; this dentist prefers the biggest foundation possible, which makes good sense to me.

W2R said:
I cannot believe all the people here who are getting implants, or rather, I cannot believe that I haven't had to get one first. I have always had terrible teeth, starting at age 7 with 6 fillings, progressing to 64 new cavities and 4 root canals necessary when I was just 18 (and that was in the day when root canals were much more of an ordeal than they now are). I don't even know how many root canals I have had by now. I had one tooth restored with a post. But really, I have had very few problems in recent years. In the past decade or so, maybe 2-3 new crowns but that is about it. No implants.

Let me disagree with you W2W and suggest based on what you have went through in your younger years you have earned the right to never have any more teeth problems again!

calmloki said:
Wouldn't that be nice? Seems like the price tag is going up though. On the good side, a day after getting three teeth removed, bone grafting on one side and sinus augmentation on the other I'm very pleased with the lack of pain and bruising.

Oh well. At least there's that. I am a big fan of any reduction of pain with dental work.

Let me disagree with you W2W and suggest based on what you have went through in your younger years you have earned the right to never have any more teeth problems again!

Thank you! I really hated having all that dental work done when I was a kid. My dentist as a child used very antiquated equipment and nothing whatsoever for pain, so it was a nightmare for me.

Got a dental appointment scheduled for next friday. I'm going to pursue getting a dental implant after discussing this with my dentist.

Looks like I'm going for the trifecta in April :)

Dental work, Physical, and Vision exam/new glasses.

Got a dental appointment scheduled for next friday. I'm going to pursue getting a dental implant after discussing this with my dentist.

Looks like I'm going for the trifecta in April :)

Dental work, Physical, and Vision exam/new glasses.

What, no colonoscopy? >:D

:2funny:

I broke a front tooth crown when I bit into a hard breakfast bar at the airport. It looked terrible and I had to give a presentation the next day. However since I was going to south Georgia I went ahead with my plans. The people I met with even made a joke of the matter. ( said I fit right in down there). I got it fixed the next Monday with no problems.

You know you're in big trouble with your crown, if Jill comes tumbling after!

OK OK, I'll stop now...

Went to the dentist today. Unfortunately his schedule was full so he couldn't work on my tooth until first thing in the morning at 7 am. I did consult with him about the option of a dental implant. Hope I know what I'm doing as that what I've decided. Reading on the internet, it seems implants are pretty routine and not that painful, but from the descriptions and youtube videos of what goes on....Oh my! :(

The entire process will take about a year from start to finish. Hopefully by then, my HSA will have grown enough to cover the expense! :blush:

Well...I got my tooth pulled and bone graft put in today. Definitely, no fun, but I've been through worse. Actually for me the worst part wasn't the tugging and twisting and pulling. The worst part was making an impression of my teeth with the silly putty like stuff (gag reflex). Also, when my dentist showed me the final root that he pulled, I could only barely see it as it was all covered with blood (yuck).

Now here comes the waiting. Taking it easy on meals, brushing for the next week. Waiting for my gum, bone to heal. Prescibed antibiotics as a precaution. Then in a little over two weeks it's a followup visit.

I really hated having all that dental work done when I was a kid. My dentist as a child used very antiquated equipment and nothing whatsoever for pain, so it was a nightmare for me.

Your dental experience mirrors mine exactly. Makes me shudder today, thinking about what I endured back then.

I actually think that my problem tooth (which I'm getting the implant for) came about from this overzealous dentist who decided to fill my tooth for the heck of it (or to just earn buck). An older brother took serveral of us kids to the dentist. My teeth felt fine, but what was I to say (just a kid). Before you know it, tooth drilled and filled and eventually the filling fell out..that's when all the troubles began .then fast forward to this day...

What, no colonoscopy? >:D

:2funny:

HaHa..funny.

W2R..didn't see this post til today.

No, I'm not "of age" yet for the Big-C procedure. In several months, I'll be of age.

But I may have to wait until 50 years old, 11 months and 30 days before this one (1 day before my 51st bday -- :LOL:). Still within the guidelines but no rush.

Can't believe it's already been 6 months since I got my tooth pulled. Went to the dentist today as I need to wear an Essix Retainer (top teeth only) for awhile to make sure my teeth don't shift around.

The retainer is interesting. In a way, it's uncomfortable, but sometimes it's comfortable too. I guess, kind of like wearing seat belts while driving.

Back
Top Bottom